CDMA components could drive price of Apple's Verizon iPhone up $20-$30

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

No way this will happen... if true, Verizon will simply take a bigger hit on the subsidy. I'm sure they'd much rather lose an additional $20 on each phone than lose out on locking people into contracts.

Except, no force on earth or heaven will stop Vz customers from buying that Vz iPhone.

Let alone a measly $20
  • Reply 42 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ►►◄◄ View Post

I'm on VZW and throughput is already slow. If millions of subscribers migrate from ATT it will get even slower. This additional strain on the network could spell the end of unlimited data plans as well.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends what the bottleneck is. On AT&T it was the shear number of data heavy devices that saturated the network. On Verizon, it could very well be the slower ‘3G’ that makes it appear slower, but with sufficient infrastructure to facilitate millions of new data heavy devices.

My reasoning as to why Verizon’s network may not crumble:
    1. They have had plenty of time to plan for this and between seeing the iPhone on AT&T

2. Potentially getting extensive data from Vodaphone about worldwide iPhone data usage

3. Seeing how much data Android-based devices use on Verizon’s network.

Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes. Don?t forget licensing.

But the GSM also has parts and licensing. So do you speak here from experience or just guessing? It seems strange to me that the parts would cost $20 above the other.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Pay more for slower speed and no concurrent data/voice? No way.

This is so unlike Apple....for the first time since I can remember, Apple is introducing a new version of a product that is slower and has less features than the current version. This is a step backwards. They should have built a T-Mobile compatible iPhone instead (GSM Network).

I disagree with this sentiment. I am Telecom. manager of major company and we are standard on Verizon though I have had ATT Iphone all along from the beginning. We have spotty ATT coverage in our Corporate Area, but I have not seen a big speed increase from Edge to 3G etc. I think the whole 4G arms race is more marketing than substance for the average user. I also think the Unlimited versus Tiered anger is mostly mis-guided. We are standard on Verizon but most of our users don't come close to using 1 GB of Data much less 5GB so i would be in favor of Tiered Data.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

But the GSM also has parts and licensing. So do you speak here from experience or just guessing? It seems strange to me that the parts would cost $20 above the other.

There are many factors at play.
    • Potentially more expensive licensing (the reason these competing technologies have tried to pull away from Qualcomm's stranglehold)

• Small economy of scale making these cellular components more expensive. IOW, even if Apple sells more iPhones on Verizon than on AT&T the number of CDMA iPhones won't even come close to the number of GSM iPhone sales.

You can do a search for Qualcomm licensing woes. There are just too many stories to post.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I call BS on the component cost part of the story. I only see two scenarios:

1. Who gives a crap about how much it costs to built, iPhone 4 will retail for the same price on Verizon and ATT.

2. Verizon made a deal not to subsidize the iPhone as much as ATT, and THAT this the reason why it will be more expensive.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I wish San Francisco would just secede from the United States and become a province of China.

Heck, secede from California would be good enough for me :-)
  • Reply 48 of 53
    I want iPhone 5!
  • Reply 49 of 53
    What's going to take a hit is NOT AT&T but Android.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

They removed video playback and the awesome wheel, just to make it smaller, at the same price.

Steve Jobs though knows you are going to love it.

Oh well, there is always ebay for my favorite gen, the 3rd.

Was the iPod nano 5th gen a great platform for shooting or watching video? Do you even know what the consumer response to it was (or is)? Or are you just a feature savant? You may as well call up all the form-factor changes Apple (or anyone else for that matter) has done on their devices over the years and pronounce the same silliness.

Are you here to just nay-say or do you have coherent arguments to bring to discussion?
  • Reply 51 of 53
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

+1.

I have a feeling the CDMA iPhone will still have concurrent data / voice. I feel this is one of the main reasons it took so long to get on Verizon, this is a feature Apple would demand imo.

Wrong again, but nice thought.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Yep! Lost my business switching over.