AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

As far as I'm concerned, until I see/hear it come out of Steve Jobs' mouth, it isn't going to happen.

I have a hard time believing Verizon will be the one to announce their version of the iPhone, because everyone knows how controlling Apple/Steve Jobs are. I'm not saying that in a bad way, but Apple doesn't let AT&T announce shit for the iPhone even now, and the WSJ thinks Verizon is going to be the one to announce it? Please.

Also, iPhone 5 should be announced in a month or two, by Apple's own Keynote. Why would Verizon customers want a CDMA version/design of a phone that's been out for over 8 months?

Good luck with that. I said good-riddance to Verizon three years ago for the 3G after years of shitty service. If as many people as predicted actually flock over to Verizon, it'll free up AT&T data/service for those of us who stay. I wouldn't go back to Verizon if you paid me.

I'm waiting for Apple's announcement with a new iPhone for both carriers. On Apple's terms.

We'll have to say it here in this thread as well. Apple or Steve Jobs didn't have to announce the iPhone for every single carrier that has it. There are many reasons why Verizon would do it instead of Apple.
  • Reply 82 of 122
    Quote:

"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA iPhone," he said. "I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."

hah! there you go, the pot calling the kettle black.

PS: ATT's 3G speed has been declining since middle of last year in the 19147 zip code. if it was not speed then it is either reception or no reception. it was not like this before.
  • Reply 83 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Depends where the are I guess. In NYC or SF, yeah I can argue that maybe verizon will be faster. Here in Houston? I'll gladly stay with my average 3.5 down and 1.2 up.

Not necessarily. I was able to pull down faster speeds both directions in both cities when comparing it to VZW using my iPhone 4 and someone's Droid.

And I was down in So. Cal last month where HSPA (HSPA+) has been deployed for awhile and I was blown away getting 6Mbps down and close to 1.7Mbps up all with a ping time less than 100ms. I've seen VZW top out at 800Kbps on the down side. So yeah, I'm with you. I'm keeping my faster network.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Why do any of you care? Nobody is asking you to leave ATT. There are many people on VZ that know the networks limitations but still want an iPhone, what wrong with that? Stop arguing about things you have absolutely no control over
  • Reply 85 of 122
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    "Life in the slow lane?" lol, wow. With the most dropped calls and the worst customer service in the nation, you have a lot of fukn nerve, AT&T.

I believe Jon Stewart said it best at the 7:08 mark:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...-2010/appholes

If Verizon can pull off the iPhone, I'm gone.
  • Reply 86 of 122
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Gruber spelled out the many reasons you're probably wrong.

http://daringfireball.net/2011/01/verizon_event

Bottom line is...

(1) It's not a new product and doesn't deserve the normal Apple Fanfare

(2) Since Verizon will be bashing AT&T, Apple can't be a part of that since it has to remain carrier-neutral.

Quote:

As far as I'm concerned, until I see/hear it come out of Steve Jobs' mouth, it isn't going to happen.

I have a hard time believing Verizon will be the one to announce their version of the iPhone, because everyone knows how controlling Apple/Steve Jobs are. I'm not saying that in a bad way, but Apple doesn't let AT&T announce shit for the iPhone even now, and the WSJ thinks Verizon is going to be the one to announce it? Please.

Also, iPhone 5 should be announced in a month or two, by Apple's own Keynote. Why would Verizon customers want a CDMA version/design of a phone that's been out for over 8 months?

Good luck with that. I said good-riddance to Verizon three years ago for the 3G after years of shitty service. If as many people as predicted actually flock over to Verizon, it'll free up AT&T data/service for those of us who stay. I wouldn't go back to Verizon if you paid me.

I'm waiting for Apple's announcement with a new iPhone for both carriers. On Apple's terms.

• Reply 87 of 122
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    AT&T still operates as if they live in the last century ... and this statement is proof of that.
  • Reply 88 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

AT&T still operates as if they live in the last century ... and this statement is proof of that.

mm.. last time I checked, GSM is still the world standard. Only Verizon (or Americans) and North Korea like to use CDMA
  • Reply 89 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wowotoe View Post

mm.. last time I checked, GSM is still the world standard. Only Verizon (or Americans) and North Korea like to use CDMA

And China. And Japan. And Canada. Please don't embarrass yourself. North Korea doesn't use it.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Depends where the are I guess. In NYC or SF, yeah I can argue that maybe verizon will be faster. Here in Houston? I'll gladly stay with my average 3.5 down and 1.2 up.

Agreed. AT&T has been very serviceable for me in Houston. But I occasionally do envy the 4G speed on my Brother-in-law's EVO.
  • Reply 91 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And China. And Japan. And Canada. Please don't embarrass yourself. North Korea doesn't use it.

1) That doesn?t mean GSM-based networks aren?t a world standard. It is.

2) GSM-based networks are bigger in each of the countries you mention.

3) Your silly list only reflects countries that have CDMA, it does not reflect the actual networks. For instance, all of S. Korea?s carriers are CDMA yet the iPhone has been in S. Korea for over a year. S. Korea was smart enough to move from CDMA ?2G? to UMTS for ?3G? which makes your list pointless.

4) Do you feel embarrassed?
  • Reply 92 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Agreed. AT&T has been very serviceable for me in Houston. But I occasionally do envy the 4G speed on my Brother-in-law's EVO.

What "4G" speeds are those? I believe Sprint says users should expect to see 3-6Mbps download but IRL most users are getting 2-4, correct? Those are the same as the "3G" speeds on both AT&T and T-Mobile.
  • Reply 93 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) That doesn?t mean GSM-based networks aren?t a world standard. It is.

2) GSM-based networks are bigger in each of the countries you mention.

3) Your silly list only reflects countries that have CDMA, it does not reflect the actual networks. For instance, all of S. Korea?s carriers are CDMA yet the iPhone has been in S. Korea for over a year. S. Korea was smart enough to move from CDMA ?2G? to UMTS for ?3G? which makes your list pointless.

4) Do you feel embarrassed?

1. Of course.

2. Are they.

3. And?

4. Certainly not, I proved a point.
  • Reply 94 of 122
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Gruber spelled out the many reasons you're probably wrong.

http://daringfireball.net/2011/01/verizon_event

Bottom line is...

(1) It's not a new product and doesn't deserve the normal Apple Fanfare

(2) Since Verizon will be bashing AT&T, Apple can't be a part of that since it has to remain carrier-neutral.

I'll quote myself back at you:

Quote:

Why would Verizon customers want a CDMA version/design of a phone that's been out for over 8 months?

Seriously. Why would Apple give Verizon an old phone? Why would they redesign (create CDMA version) of an old design? To keep them behind the times and still keep one carrier (AT&T) ahead of the other (Verizon)? Unlikely. Why would Verizon customers settle for last year's iPhone 4 when iPhone 5 will be announced for AT&T in probably a month's time? That's stupid.

That makes me believe that there WILL be a new product with Verizon, hence Apple's announcement of multiple carriers on their own. Of course there's never been fanfare in other countries with multiple carriers. Their big shebang is always in the US.

Also, who cares about the carriers bashing each other. Apple is able to announce iPhone 5 for both carriers and be "please to spread the wealth" without joining in the talking-of-the-shit.
  • Reply 95 of 122
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

What "4G" speeds are those? I believe Sprint says users should expect to see 3-6Mbps download but IRL most users are getting 2-4, correct? Those are the same as the "3G" speeds on both AT&T and T-Mobile.

yeah, his speed falls quickly with distance from the tower. And, he pays for it with a miserable battery life when compared to my 3GS. I can't complain about AT&T service within the Beltway. I've either lived in, or visited 9 US cities in the past 4 years and with the exceptions of San Francisco and Manhattan, I've not had consistent problems anywhere. Unless Verizon introduces some very compelling pricing, I plan on staying put.
  • Reply 96 of 122
    Quote:

...iPhone 5 will be announced for AT&T in probably a month's time.

A MONTH?! That's rich. Announced at WWDC, shipping a month or so after. At least, that's when it WOULD be coming out. Who's to say this Verizon announcement isn't just that, an announcement? It kills off all competing manufacturers on Verizon and shoots AT&T adopters in the foot.

Say the VeriPhone is iPhone 5, in June, at WWDC, CDMA/GSM on one chip, one phone, one model. Apple just rides the wave for the next six months. Bliss.
  • Reply 97 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Seriously. Why would Apple give Verizon an old phone?

It?s not an old phone, it?s a current phone. You?ve also failed to realize that 10?s of millions of people buy Apple?s products year round with little regard for suspected update cycles.

Quote:

Why would they redesign (create CDMA version) of an old design?

Again, not old but current. Also, I bet a CDMA version has been build along side the GSM version since before the iPhone was ever announced.

Quote:

To keep them behind the times and still keep one carrier (AT&T) ahead of the other (Verizon)?

AT&T isn?t going to be ahead of Verizon gets the iPhone 4. They will be on par.

Quote:

Why would Verizon customers settle for last year's iPhone 4 when iPhone 5 will be announced for AT&T in probably a month's time?

That's stupid.

The iPhone has never been announced in February. Except for the initial iPhone announcement in January they?ve all been announced and released around Summer. Saying otherwise without at least making a rationale argument for it is stupid.

Quote:

That makes me believe that there WILL be a new product with Verizon, hence Apple's announcement of multiple carriers on their own. Of course there's never been fanfare in other countries with multiple carriers. Their big shebang is always in the US.

The fact that Verizon is announcing it and not Apple means that there is no new HW or OS features to market. It?s the reason why it?s not a new iPhone 5.

/QUOTE]Also, who cares about the carriers bashing each other. Apple is able to announce iPhone 5 for both carriers and be "please to spread the wealth" without joining in the talking-of-the-shit.[/QUOTE]

You acknowledged that Apple isn?t announcing it, that Verizon. You?ve also failed to give reason why a mid-cycle release of the iPhone 5 makes sense.

? Why do you think Verizon would get the iPhone 5 mid-cycle and well before every other carrier in the world?

? Why do you think Apple would let Verizon announce a brand new iPhone model?
  • Reply 98 of 122
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post

Again, anecdotal, not hard evidence.

I live about 40-45 minutes outside of Minneapolis, in a "city" with a population of less than 2000. My latest speed tests over the last month or so on my iPhone 4?

4.69 Down, 1.50 Up (about 30 seconds ago)

3.86 Down, 1.62 Up

2.33 Down, .90 Up

2.83 Down, .76 Up

3.08 Down, .80 Up

I suppose I must be sitting under a tower

I have an iPad 3G (AT&T) and a Droid (Verizon 3G) so I know very well what I am talking about. If you are withing a ten mile radius of Atlanta, AT&T is faster. Go out more than 10 miles in most directions and Verizon is the same or faster. Go out 20 miles and Verizon is usually significantly faster mainly due to the fact that AT&T has little 3G ( or it is badly degraded ) out that far.....
  • Reply 99 of 122
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    I wonder if Verizons network will crumble when it adds the iPhone. I mean they already have the DROID line up, and with the iphone on its network as well? Verizon better be ready to add a gazillion iPhones on its back just like AT&T did.

P.S. Enjoying my data speeds and service where I live. And I need my data&voice at the same time.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    I'm sticking with AT&T. I've not had a single problem (except Treasure Island SF-which is somewhat under development-there aren't even utilities there yet! i.e. Power, water, cable, etc.) with connecting anywhere I have gone and I live in San Francisco. They let me go three months without paying my bill this past year, during a brief financial problem. Never turned off my service! And waived my late fees. I don't even have a fancy plan. Old (grandfathered to my Ip4) 3G plan with unlimited data. And I take the unlimited thing as being unlimited with a minimum of 7gigs of data a month.

I think online forums are very slanted - being that more negativity and shoes get thrown online cause when people are pissed they have nothing better to do than flame. Those satisfied, seem to be busy having fun and dont post nearly as much. I'm guilty of this on occasion. It's just the nature of forums which I believe many are customer based problem solving and revolve around community assistance. At least the technology themed forums.

As far as verizon goes-well everyone I know that has had them has gone on to other providers stating that verizon was gouging them to use hardware features already built into their phones i.e. WIFI, Bluetooth, etc. even restricting the Internet to verizon's mobel web. I'd hope it's not like that since android but if anything on the iphone is reduced in feature by verizon-well these blogs will fill to the gills with shoes piling sky high.

Now before everyone flames by my post. This is all just MY observations and experience. I respect everyone else as having their own experience. If you stay with AT&T or switch for a better experience - we still have something in common-NO NOT piles of shoes! IPHONES!!!