VPN question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My main computer is a Mac mini and I connect via wifi. I share my macs internet via a patch cable with my Linux box. I have an iPad and an Android phone. I would like all 4 devices to be using a VPN. The main issue here is that i get free wifi with my rent and I cannot access the router. It is not possible to get another other internet line into my row house due to the age of the wiring and landlord, etc... How can i get this to work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    So just so I'm clear, the problem is that you can't access WiFi but you'd still like your phone and iPad to get on the internet via VPN? Whose VPN? Your works?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    Sorry for the confusion. All of my devices are on wifi I want to lock them down, both at home (for both computers) and when on an open wifi next (android and ipad). If VPN is not the solution, I am open to anything.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hxc04 View Post

Sorry for the confusion. All of my devices are on wifi I want to lock them down, both at home (for both computers) and when on an open wifi next (android and ipad). If VPN is not the solution, I am open to anything.

I get it now. You have to have a VPN to connect to so unless your real friendly with the IT guys at work you're kinda screwed here. Even if you connect to your work they could sniff all your traffic.

You can try Tor to use on your Mac but your iPad probably won't work, tho you could try the client they have for it. They do have an Android client tho!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I get it now. You have to have a VPN to connect to so unless your real friendly with the IT guys at work you're kinda screwed here. Even if you connect to your work they could sniff all your traffic.

You can try Tor to use on your Mac but your iPad won't work. They do have an Android client tho!

Awesome, thank you for the help! Why can't I have my own VPN, sorry I am not very in tune to this sorta thing. I am just wanting to stay as secure as I can with my Android and iPad when surfing.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hxc04 View Post

Awesome, thank you for the help! Why can't I have my own VPN, sorry I am not very in tune to this sorta thing. I am just wanting to stay as secure as I can with my Android and iPad when surfing.

a VPN is a remote network so if you have kids, parents, friends or something like that you could connect to THEIR VPN... but then all your browsing goes through their network.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

a VPN is a remote network so if you have kids, parents, friends or something like that you could connect to THEIR VPN... but then all your browsing goes through their network.

that makes sense, so what are my options to keeping my "open wifi" browsing safe, at say, Starbucks? Thank you so much for helping me through this!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Well, unfortunately, after reading a little more on Tore, Tor doesn't encrypt the first hop only subsequent hops. That means you're almost no better off using Tor than if you didn't.

I think you may be screwed here as far encryption is concerned.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    what about just general security?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Well without encrypting your traffic between your devices and the wireless router, everything is sniffable to whomever is in reach of the wireless traffic. So typically around 150-300 feet of the wireless router

Any sites you use that use HTTPs you're ok, its the sites that don't use it where you're vulnerable. But as long as you trust your neighbors its probably not that big of a deal. People use WiFi in Starbucks and what not which is generally unprotected also and that hasn't stopped anyone from using WiFi hotspots