Pricing in Canada

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6. I discovered that the upgrade is USD29, but in Canada it is priced at CAD35. Given that the Canadian dollar is at parity or better it is not correct that there should be a 24% difference in the price Canadians must pay for the same product. I wont pay this premium. Apple should use a currency converter to give a current market price. I have written to Steve Jobs to ask his opinion. Fingers crossed that fairness will win.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Steve won't answer. It was foolish of you to complain. Apple changes conversions when it is prudent to do so, and then generally only in the EU. If you won't pay the "premium", you don't get the software. Or maybe you think distribution is the same price as in the U.S. Oh well for you.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    You may want to look into making a accident compensation claim
  • Reply 3 of 5
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deltatoo View Post

I wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6. I discovered that the upgrade is USD29, but in Canada it is priced at CAD35. Given that the Canadian dollar is at parity or better it is not correct that there should be a 24% difference in the price Canadians must pay for the same product. I wont pay this premium. Apple should use a currency converter to give a current market price. I have written to Steve Jobs to ask his opinion. Fingers crossed that fairness will win.

Does the Canadian price include any VAT or other taxes?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Same old argument, different day...

The US market is 10 times the size of Canada's

It is more expensive for companies to do business in Canada than the US

When pricing products, currency exchange rates are established days/weeks/months ahead of "today". I would also assume that Apple also use averages to avoid losing money if the CAD dollar goes above the US dollar.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Just buy some US iTunes credit. At least it's probably only a short drive over the border for you (given the population distribution of Canada) unlike those of us in Australia/Europe etc.