UBS: iPhone to be dominant device on Verizon at launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They always "all say it". They've never been right before.

It's a misunderstanding of statistics by people. Unsophisticated people think that if something isn't exactly correct, it's totally incorrect. So if someone says that they expect Apple's stock to hit $350 by the end of the year, and they're off by two or three weeks, the peanut gallery starts riding their prediction, when they were really pretty darn close!

If someone predicts that Apple will sell 16 million phones in a quarter, let's say (this quarter), and it's either 15 or 17 million, the same thing happens. But they were really close either way.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Slightly off topic, but you know what amazes me? 13 million. Apple will manufacture 13 million iPhones. Not plastic clothes hangers. Not rubber o-rings. Not Coke bottles. No, they will build 13 million iPhones--ultra-complex iPhones.

We all know the stories from Asia, whereby Apple whips its employees until they each pump out 40 iPhones per minute, etc. It's mind boggling to me how they can produce that many phones, regardless of how big the factories are or how many employees they have working 24-hour shifts.

It'd be awesome to get inside the factory to see how it operates. Amazing.

"Made in the USA", that is what I would like to see printed on the back of every iPhone. Apple needs some sources other than China - because the day will come ?
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pirarre View Post

I'm sure Android will do fine...check out the Motorola Atrix, Droid Bionic and the HTC Thunderbolt! All very nice phones with very neat features, especially the Motorola Atrix. And please before anyone say it, "I'm not a fanboy for any device or OS. I'm a fanboy of technology...(period)" I'm just giving respect , when respect is due.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I agree, but I do think the iPhone will slow down Android pace when it debuts on Verizon. And the Motorola Atrix will be heading to AT&T.

I watched the video of the Atrix!

What's the fascination?

What I saw was a decent, fairly expensive, smart phone plus a few expensive dock-like things with big brainless/gutless devices attached to the front or the rear *. I guess the idea is one brain/lower alimentary canal to serve them all.

What happens when you are out and about with your brain in your pocket -- do all these expensive devices sit, waiting, vacuously for a brain -- like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of OZ?

* Let's see if I have this right, you are telling me: You have your phone and you want to make it easier to use... So you have this special place where you can stick it... in the rear? Is this a Joke? ...and then you can move it around? ...and it won't fall out? ...are you one of the guys from the office?

Maybe it should be called the Motorola Suppository!

And leave Atrix to mean what it always has:

http://www.atrix.com/
  • Reply 44 of 68
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I watched the video of the Atrix!

What's the fascination?

It's a fascinating example of how out of touch the tech blogosphere is. The comments on Engadget were hilarious. They were claiming Apple doesn't innovate and that the Atrix shows true innovation! These people truly live in a world of their own.

It's a lame gimmick with absolutely no mainstream appeal.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

It's a fascinating example of how out of touch the tech blogosphere is. The comments on Engadget were hilarious. They were claiming Apple doesn't innovate and that the Atrix shows true innovation! These people truly live in a world of their own.

It's a lame gimmick with absolutely no mainstream appeal.

The Atrix comes off as gimmicky to me, also. It kinda reminds me of that Dell portable with the flip-screen - something "cool" with just another potential physical point-of-failure.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Slightly off topic, but you know what amazes me? 13 million. Apple will manufacture 13 million iPhones. Not plastic clothes hangers. Not rubber o-rings. Not Coke bottles. No, they will build 13 million iPhones--ultra-complex iPhones.

We all know the stories from Asia, whereby Apple whips its employees until they each pump out 40 iPhones per minute, etc. It's mind boggling to me how they can produce that many phones, regardless of how big the factories are or how many employees they have working 24-hour shifts.

It'd be awesome to get inside the factory to see how it operates. Amazing.

That heavens for China.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

The Atrix comes off as gimmicky to me, also. It kinda reminds me of that Dell portable with the flip-screen - something "cool" with just another potential physical point-of-failure.

Did you ever have one of those Swiss Army Knives:

They are great conversation pieces -- and fine to show off all the things they can do in a marginally acceptable way...

But, did you ever use one for even a tenth of the things it could do?

'Scuze me... I'm off to cut some firewood... then do my nails... then open that bottle of Pernod..
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's a misunderstanding of statistics by people. Unsophisticated people think that if something isn't exactly correct, it's totally incorrect.

Aye. But when the Wall Street Journal says Verizon iPhone every month for two years, it's totally incorrect regardless of when they get it "right". Boy Who Cried Wolfing seems to equal having "insider information" when it comes to this.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

Apple needs some sources other than China

Apple would need customers willing to pay about double what they do now for reasons that have been cited over and over in previous threads...

Quote:

because the day will come ?

And what day is that? The day that "realists" such as your self have an epiphany about real economics instead of fantasy economics?
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Aye. But when the Wall Street Journal says Verizon iPhone every month for two years, it's totally incorrect regardless of when they get it "right". Boy Who Cried Wolfing seems to equal having "insider information" when it comes to this.

Except that they haven't been saying that. I know as I subscribe to it.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Wow, DED actually corrected his analysis of the previous article this is quoted from, correctly wording it as it should.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with me pointing that out to him in a tirade yesterday on his blog.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Except that they haven't been saying that. I know as I subscribe to it.

Your actual facts are almost as relevant as his strongly felt made-up facts...
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Iwas reading an article on Cnet about if a Verizon iPhone will be 4G. And this is what the article stated:

"Despite Verizon's intense focus on its new 4G network, and persistent rumors that the Verizon iPhone will support LTE, I think this is unlikely. Apple loves to control the user experience"

But did anyone catch the most important part in the entire quote? The part that states, " Apple loves to control the user experience"

I just wanted to make sure everybody caught that.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...#ixzz1AhVzF2VB
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Your actual facts are almost as relevant as his strongly felt made-up facts...

They're relevant as a response to his post.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    ...Verizon announces the arrival of Windows Phone 7 phones?

Back to the rumour mill I suppose.

At least CES has been overshadowed.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

But the fandroids have been claiming that Android has completely defeated iOS and the iPhone is now a distant second. Just go to Cnet and you will see that this is an accepted fact that is mentioned in almost every thread by the techno-dorks. Strangely we haven't seen any counter arguments by the AppleInsider fandroid regulars. I'm sure they're working feverishly to set the record straight.

Why "set the record straight"? - giving your phones away is going to increase market share. But not profit. Apple is not, and never has been, about market share. Greater market share does not equal more 'popular' or a 'better' product. Id rather Apple remain an exclusive product, one that people aspire to, rather than an economy/free option that people end up with by default because it's cheap/freely provided by the cell phone operators.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pirarre View Post

Iwas reading an article on Cnet about if a Verizon iPhone will be 4G. And this is what the article stated:

"Despite Verizon's intense focus on its new 4G network, and persistent rumors that the Verizon iPhone will support LTE, I think this is unlikely. Apple loves to control the user experience"

But did anyone catch the most important part in the entire quote? The part that states, " Apple loves to control the user experience"

I just wanted to make sure everybody caught that.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...#ixzz1AhVzF2VB

lol - so a company wanting to create a specific user experience for it's customers is unusual? or a bad thing? Apple want to create a safe, controlled environment which protects its interests, its customers security and the performance and stability of its products. Nothing wrong with that.

I hear a lot of "I bought this device, I can do what I want with it" arguments. If this logic follows through, then let's take it to a natural conclusion - I've bought this mercedes, it's mine - I can do what I want with it, I'm going to drive the wrong way down the freeway with it. When you buy a product, you accept the EULA. If you don't agree with the EULA then don't buy the product. Simples.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

"Made in the USA", that is what I would like to see printed on the back of every iPhone. Apple needs some sources other than China - because the day will come …

Never. Going. To. Happen.

USA CANNOT compete with the cheaper (Non-Unionized) labor force of these other countries, like Vietnam, China, Malaysia, Taiwan, and so on and so on.

Not now, not ever. Unions, heavy government taxation of businesses, and the typical American greed mentality that we deserve $25+ an hour to produce something, drive labor costs up too much in our country thereby making it much harder for the USA to compete for the global manufacturing jobs.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why "set the record straight"? - giving your phones away is going to increase market share. But not profit. Apple is not, and never has been, about market share. Greater market share does not equal more 'popular' or a 'better' product. Id rather Apple remain an exclusive product, one that people aspire to, rather than an economy/free option that people end up with by default because it's cheap/freely provided by the cell phone operators.

Could not have said it any better!

Really, who cares what the damn market share is anyway; such a dumb and pointless argument. I wish people would shut-up about the freakin' market share! Apple iPhones are selling really, REALLY well for such an expensive device and will sell even more now that the phone might be available on Verizon.

... and I laugh all the way to the bank as my AAPL shares keep going up!
  • Reply 60 of 68
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Wow, DED actually corrected his analysis of the previous article this is quoted from, correctly wording it as it should.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with me pointing that out to him in a tirade yesterday on his blog.

Ha, ha ha! You have no sense of reality! You were totally humiliated and kicked in the ass by practically every poster on DED's website. You didn't even had to be banned, people is just plainly ignoring you, or shall I said, not feeding you?

The way you lost self-control, spewing anger in all directions, it was a treat to read his site yesterday. You made my day! Keep the trolling up, comedy on these sites is much needed.