Apple's Verizon iPhone could mean tough year for AT&T, analysts say

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Tough year for AT&T? Don't they mean a tough year for Android?
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theobold View Post

The data speed depends on most handsets on the processor.... sorry they really are much larger then at&t.

Data speed does not depend on the processor of the phone. Just like it doesn't on the computer.

It's only visual at that point.

How is VZW larger than AT&T? subscriber base? network base? Because that BS most 3G coverage in the US is misleading marketing when VZW 3G is comparable to AT&T's EDGE, which blankets the US.

3G is not a standard among carriers. It's the 3rd generation of that carriers data network.

But I say bring it on! I can't wait to see VZW network handle the iPhone. It will be very entertaining.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

Doesn't take the brains of analysts to figure that out.

I don't think that's necessarily true. ATT will have people who want the new Iphone 5 or whatever and they will upgrade. I don't see that many people going over to Verizon's dated CDMA network. Now if it's LTE compatible...all bets are off... Right now I'm just going to wait and see what happens tomorrow. Maybe the analyst knows something I don't.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

LOL! That may be true also....
  • Reply 25 of 42
    there will be mass defection from AT&T, here in NYC and San Francisco the service is awful

I can have my call dropped 3 times in a 15 minute conversation.

My sister in Dallas also suffers from terrible service. We have been patiently waiting to leave AT&T. I am sure the sevice is perfectly fine else where in the US. But in some big key markets at&t will not need as many retail stores.

That survey that rated AT&T as the worst of the 4 major carriers points to many other people who are ready to take flight as well

...good by AT&T
  • Reply 26 of 42
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    The only reason I'm on AT&T right now is because of the iPhone -- all of my family and friends are on Verizon. I will gladly switch over to Verizon if selling my iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 3GS cover our ETFs. My service has been spotty at best even at home with Microcell.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Well, I'm going to hang on to my iPhone on AT&T and enjoy the increased bandwidth when everybody else jumps ship, overloads Verizon, and starts bellowing about poor Verizon performance for the next two years till they can come back. Then we start all over again!

Jim
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heyjp View Post

Well, I'm going to hang on to my iPhone on AT&T and enjoy the increased bandwidth when everybody else jumps ship, overloads Verizon, and starts bellowing about poor Verizon performance for the next two years till they can come back. Then we start all over again!

Naw, then they will try Sprint or T-Mobile.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't think that's necessarily true. ATT will have people who want the new Iphone 5 or whatever and they will upgrade. I don't see that many people going over to Verizon's dated CDMA network. Now if it's LTE compatible...all bets are off... Right now I'm just going to wait and see what happens tomorrow. Maybe the analyst knows something I don't.

I believe VZW has openly stated that the LTE network in its current state is strictly for data, while voice calls will continue to be handled over the CDMA network, which is also the fall-back for non-LTE areas.

I think the real issue will be BACKHAUL as someone else stated. The carrier with the most backhaul and the highest number of available connections to a tower is going to win the speed race. I don't know about Verizon's backhaul, but their demonstrations of 12mbps over LTE was impressive. On the other hand, that was a demonstration where basically no one was using the network. But I can get 6mbps from AT&T in some areas where HSPA+??? has already been implemented, and that's with iPhone 4 having been out for 6 months already. So I have to wonder what VZW's speeds will look like once millions of customers are on their network and begin to compete for limited backhaul capacity.

I for one hope VZW's network crashes. Not because I'm evil, but because I'm tired of the perception that VZW is invincible and it's time for consumers to get a wake-up call. In fact, I hope VZW's servers crash on launch day the same way that AT&T's did. Just hoping that someone finally shows the chinks in VZW's armor.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    I will be sticking with AT&T. I've noticed definite improvements in certain areas that I've had coverage problems with in the past that are now problem free. Plus, I love the fact that I can use my phone and browse the web at the same time. This has come in handy on numerous occasions and is a great feature. I also love the fact that I get and keep all rollover minutes I earn, which comes in handy since I no longer have a landline and use my cell phone exclusively.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Any last minute guesses on:
    • What day/month it will actually launch?

• Will they also get the first iPad?

• Will they get the iPad 2?

• Will it have simultaneous voice and data?

• Will it have free Visual Voicemail?

• Will it have unlimited data for $30?

• Reply 32 of 42
    ATT may be in for a rude awakening. Perhaps not at first as many customers have a contract and are not willing to pay the ETF. However down the road, starting in about 12 months the exit may well begin.

Naturally all this depends on how well Verizon handles its network and of course how much ATT actually improves its network. When I use the word improves with ATT I'm not talking about their promises, increased R&D, etc I'm talking about less dropped calls!!!! and improved speed.Time will tell and after seeing how poorly ATT has handled their service year after year I would have to say ATT is in trouble.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Inlove. With iPhone even while other show free tv and apple wants you to buy but tomanwser you question, NO!!!

http://www.google.com/m/search?oe=UT...rpasses+iPhone
  • Reply 34 of 42
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Again, no.

http://www.google.com/m/search?oe=UT...rpasses+iPhone
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I believe VZW has openly stated that the LTE network in its current state is strictly for data, while voice calls will continue to be handled over the CDMA network, which is also the fall-back for non-LTE areas.

I think the real issue will be BACKHAUL as someone else stated. The carrier with the most backhaul and the highest number of available connections to a tower is going to win the speed race. I don't know about Verizon's backhaul, but their demonstrations of 12mbps over LTE was impressive. On the other hand, that was a demonstration where basically no one was using the network. But I can get 6mbps from AT&T in some areas where HSPA+??? has already been implemented, and that's with iPhone 4 having been out for 6 months already. So I have to wonder what VZW's speeds will look like once millions of customers are on their network and begin to compete for limited backhaul capacity.

I for one hope VZW's network crashes. Not because I'm evil, but because I'm tired of the perception that VZW is invincible and it's time for consumers to get a wake-up call. In fact, I hope VZW's servers crash on launch day the same way that AT&T's did. Just hoping that someone finally shows the chinks in VZW's armor.

Have a look at AT&T's updated Network Information:

http://www.att.com/network/

Click on the Network US Map and read the Mar 31, 2011 update where all the baby blue area coverage for the 3G expansion to be lit by then. That's a lot of 3G area expansion that is hooking into their new backhaul.

Read their Backhaul claims on the left-side of that image view.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post

I will be sticking with AT&T. I've noticed definite improvements in certain areas that I've had coverage problems with in the past that are now problem free. Plus, I love the fact that I can use my phone and browse the web at the same time. This has come in handy on numerous occasions and is a great feature. I also love the fact that I get and keep all rollover minutes I earn, which comes in handy since I no longer have a landline and use my cell phone exclusively.

I'm thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Click on the Network US Map and read the Mar 31, 2011 update where all the baby blue area coverage for the 3G expansion to be lit by then. That's a lot of 3G area expansion that is hooking into their new backhaul.

How much faith can you put in a company that puts this on its web site: (We all know the real answer is a network able to peak at 100 Mb/s!)

From AT&T Web Site:

Question:

What is 4G?

Answer:

4G means faster mobile broadband speeds ? where data transfers take less time to complete.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you. I know AT&T is further along now with the 3G 3.5G pseudo-4G buildout. But AT&T has claimed to have upgraded their cell towers to HSPA+ since last year. It's the backhaul that needs to be beefed up now. The big question is how much backhaul capacity AT&T will have on a per capita (per user) basis vs VZW. And more importantly, in heavily congested areas, it'll still come down to how many connections a tower can serve at a given moment and what that means for overall speed.

For example, I was in Mountain View, CA tonight having dinner and I spotted 3 iPhone 4s plus my own and three 3G/3GSs in the restaurant. LOVE! but on speedtest, I achieved roughly 300kbps down and over 1100kbps up. Very lopsided and very strange. I repeated the test multiple times with roughly the same result. Tried my friends 3GS and had a similar picture except their upload was ridiculously low, like 100kbps.

It's these types of inconsistency and questions about capacity that really matter to me, and I imagine they weigh heavily on people's PERCEPTION of network quality. But even VZW is not perfect. And I must say that when AT&T works, it's awesome! Here's to hoping VZW crashes and burns and shows people how bad the US mobile infrastructure is. Let a little bit of air out of VZW's sail.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any last minute guesses on:
    • What day/month it will actually launch?

• Will they also get the first iPad?

• Will they get the iPad 2?

• Will it have simultaneous voice and data?

• Will it have free Visual Voicemail?

• Will it have unlimited data for $30?

Sleep issues?

Tuesday

no

yes

has to

yes

no
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you. I know AT&T is further along now with the 3G 3.5G pseudo-4G buildout. But AT&T has claimed to have upgraded their cell towers to HSPA+ since last year. It's the backhaul that needs to be beefed up now. The big question is how much backhaul capacity AT&T will have on a per capita (per user) basis vs VZW. And more importantly, in heavily congested areas, it'll still come down to how many connections a tower can serve at a given moment and what that means for overall speed.

For example, I was in Mountain View, CA tonight having dinner and I spotted 3 iPhone 4s plus my own and three 3G/3GSs in the restaurant. LOVE! but on speedtest, I achieved roughly 300kbps down and over 1100kbps up. Very lopsided and very strange. I repeated the test multiple times with roughly the same result. Tried my friends 3GS and had a similar picture except their upload was ridiculously low, like 100kbps.

It's these types of inconsistency and questions about capacity that really matter to me, and I imagine they weigh heavily on people's PERCEPTION of network quality. But even VZW is not perfect. And I must say that when AT&T works, it's awesome! Here's to hoping VZW crashes and burns and shows people how bad the US mobile infrastructure is. Let a little bit of air out of VZW's sail.

What they claimed is that 13 major metropolitan areas were bing built out last year with their fiber back haul and it was being tested.

They then committed $1.5 Billion in further build out.

When that lovely baby blue goes deep blue and a portion of people jump to Verizon I'll be enjoying my move to AT&T.