Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Ending years of anticipation, Apple and Verizon announced Tuesday that the iPhone 4 is coming to the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. on Feb. 10 at a starting price of $199.

Customers will be able to preorder the much anticipated phone on Feb. 3, and it will launch in Verizon and Apple stores, as well as online, a week later. The handset will carry the same prices of $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB.

"Today we're partnering with a giant of the industry, and that's Apple," Verizon Chief Operating Officer Lowell McAdam said at Tuesday's press conference in New York City.

He revealed that Apple and Verizon began talks in 2008, and the two spent a year testing the iPhone on Verizon's CDMA network. Introduced at the press conference was Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook, who revealed that Verizon's handset will have the same features as the existing iPhone 4, including FaceTime video chat and a high-resolution Retina Display.

The new CDMA handset also includes the redesigned antenna and frame that was shown in photos and video that leaked to the Internet earlier this month.

Verizon Wireless CEO Dan Mead said his company's inventory and systems have been properly scaled to accommodate the iPhone 4. He also touted his company's wireless network as "robust," and said officials have been "drive testing" the iPhone 4 on Verizon.

"We are pleased to introduce millions of wireless users to the industry leading iPhone 4 on the nation's most reliable network," Verizon's McAdam said in a press release. "This is an important step for the industry as two great companies join forces to give wireless customers one of the most important technological additions to the mobile landscape this century."

"Verizon Wireless customers have told us they can't wait to get their hands on iPhone 4, and we think they are going to love it," Cook said. "We have enormous respect for the company Verizon has built and the loyalty they have earned from their customers."

The CDMA iPhone 4 features a 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, HD video recording, Apple's A4 chip, a 3-axis gyro and a glass and stainless steel design like no other mobile phone. iPhone 4 also comes with iOS 4, the world's most advanced mobile operating system, which includes multitasking, folders, Game Center, AirPlay and AirPrint wireless printing.

iPhone 4 customers have access to the world's most popular App Store with more than 300,000 apps available in an incredible range of 20 categories, including games, business, news, sports, health and reference.

iPhone 4 will be available on the Verizon Wireless network beginning Thursday, February 10 for a suggested retail price of $199.99 for the 16GB model and $299.99 for the 32GB model with a new two year customer agreement. iPhone 4 will be available at more than 2,000 Verizon Wireless Communications Stores nationwide, online at www.verizonwireless.com/iphone, at Apple Retail Stores, at the Apple Store (www.apple.com), at Apple Authorized Resellers, and by calling 1-800-2 JOIN IN.

Details from the question-and-answer session following the announcement include:

Cook said Apple made changes to the iPhone 4's controversial antenna design to make the handset work with CDMA networks.

Unlike AT&T, Verizon iPhone users can't be on the phone and use data at the same time (like talking and surfing the web).

Apple chose not to go with LTE because it would require design changes, and Verizon said they wanted the iPhone now.

The deal between Verizon and Apple is multi-year, and non-exclusive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 254
    But why? Are they really going to pit them against each other like this with a staggered release?!

AT&T: "Sure, you can get the iPhone 4 on Verizon, but we have the iPhone 5!"

Better network or better phone? Consumers shouldn't have to choose.
  • Reply 2 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But why? Are they really going to pit them against each other like this with a staggered release?!

AT&T: "Sure, you can get the iPhone 4 on Verizon, but we have the iPhone 5!"

Better network or better phone? Consumers shouldn't have to choose.

I guess I missed the part where they announced the iPhone 5. And the part where they said there would be staggered release dates for different carriers and models of phone.
  • Reply 3 of 254
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I guess I missed the part where they announced the iPhone 5. And the part where they said there would be staggered release dates for different carriers and models of phone.

Exactly. Launching the CDMA iPhone 4 in no way precludes Verizon and AT&T getting concurrent releases for every subsequent model. Could be next model unifies all networks anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 254
    Great Announcement! Hopefully the smaller carriers will be next, maybe in time for iphone 5. Time will tell
  • Reply 5 of 254
    The eagle has landed. I repeat, the eagle has landed.
  • Reply 6 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Unless Apple plans on changing release cycles, Verizon gets the iPhone 4 for four months by the standard reasoning. Waste of time for anyone who wants one; iPhone 5 would come out in the summer.

Ah, we just got a "We don't comment on [the refresh cycle]" from Tim Cook, so what I said above is probably what's going to happen.
  • Reply 8 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Exactly. Launching the CDMA iPhone 4 in no way precludes Verizon and AT&T getting concurrent releases for every subsequent model. Could be next model unifies all networks anyway.

well, in that case it's either means that iPhone 5 will be released in the summer for both AT&T and Verizon and will anger the new Verizon iPhone 4 customers or

the iPhone 5 will be released for both AT&T and Verizon next Feb (2012) and will anger(?) or disappoint everyone else who's waiting for the next model.

Doesn't make sense...
  • Reply 9 of 254
    To everyone who said it wouldn't happen...

To everyone who said it couldn't happen

To everyone who said it shouldn't happen...

I have one word for you...

HA!

About damn time Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 254
    " iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless will also include new Personal Hotspot capabilities allowing customers to use iPhone 4 to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices."

Now, that's something to think about... and drool...
  • Reply 11 of 254
    Ha! No concurrent talking and surfing!

One less reason for me to be forced to have a data plan.
  • Reply 12 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It is a bit confusing though, or potentially so.

All the stupids will buy the new Verizon iPhone without thinking of the relatively imminent release of iPhone 5. Perhaps Verizon has already worked out a deal with Apple where they will offer a great deal on an upgrade when that happens.

I'm also a bit surprised they didn't name it something else, like "iPhone 4v" or something. It seems odd to have two products with the same name that aren't actually the same thing and don't even operate if you buy the wrong one for your network.
  • Reply 13 of 254
    Quote:

Yep, this is the biggest part of the announcement. Free tethering up to 5 devices. Earlier this past year, the Palm Pre was offering a 5 GB cap on data with the 3G Mobile Hotspot. Not sure what the rule is going to be with the iPhone?

This would have been a nice thing to mention.
  • Reply 14 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

To everyone who said it wouldn't happen...

To everyone who said it couldn't happen

To everyone who said it shouldn't happen...

I have one word for you...

HA!

About damn time Apple.

Speaking of which, DED should have wrote that article

On his blog though he pretends he was still correct.
  • Reply 15 of 254
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Is it LTE compatible?
  • Reply 16 of 254
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    How about for Sprint and other CDMA carriers worldwide?
  • Reply 16 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Is it LTE compatible?

No. Did you even watch the outlet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

How about for Sprint and other CDMA carriers worldwide?

The contract is multi-year non-exclusive, but it likely won't happen for a while.
  • Reply 18 of 254
    Now the iPhone will work in NYC!
  • Reply 19 of 254
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Seems that you still cannot use the phone while downloading data at the same time. Another reason for me not to leave AT&T
  • Reply 20 of 254
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Yep, this is the biggest part of the announcement. Free tethering up to 5 devices. Earlier this past year, the Palm Pre was offering a 5 GB cap on data with the 3G Mobile Hotspot. Not sure what the rule is going to be with the iPhone?

This would have been a nice thing to mention.

I agree! The tethering part is the part I was interested in. I have a mifi card now and would rather have an iPhone and I would just cancel my ATT subscription if I could do everything the ATT iPhone does.