Apple's iWork '11 suite tracking for release alongside Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    kchkch Posts: 1member
    It does not appear on the new release of the App Store today. Any new rumors regarding this?
  • Reply 62 of 116
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KCH View Post

It does not appear on the new release of the App Store today. Any new rumors regarding this?

Yes, it's obviously not happening for another month or so, if at all.
  • Reply 63 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Okay, so it's beginning to be common knowledge that iWork '11 will be released once the Mac App Store opens.

There's a problem with that. iWork '11 will take a lot of attention away from the launch of the store itself.

Apple should send out a press release soon, touting all the new features, and say that it will be available January 6 at the Mac App Store.

Doesn't that make more sense than having two big software launches on the same day?

Common incorrect knowledge. File this under "Widespread reported Apple rumours purporting truth ultimately debunked".

Quite surprising really that Apple are trying to sell 2-year-old versions of their productivity suite on the brand new App store. If you bought iWork now and they updated it in a month you'd want to damn well hope Apple gives you a courtesy upgrade for free. Anything less would not be a good look. I can see the potential for a violent internet backlash here...
  • Reply 64 of 116
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's easy enough to understand that Apple needed to ensure the App Store was working well before launching a major product that will incur hundreds of thousands of purchases and downloads on its first day.

Just because iWork '11 wasn't available at launch doesn't mean it won't be released this month.
  • Reply 65 of 116
    Quote:

It's easy enough to understand that Apple needed to ensure the App Store was working well before launching a major product that will incur hundreds of thousands of purchases and downloads on its first day.

Just because iWork '11 wasn't available at launch doesn't mean it won't be released this month.

Hundreds of thousands? I don't think so. There aren't hundreds of thousands of Mac users on the planet.
  • Reply 66 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hundreds of thousands? I don't think so. There aren't hundreds of thousands of Mac users on the planet.

Apple sold 3.89 million Macs in the fourth quarter of 2010 alone.
  • Reply 67 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

haha and we're supposed to believe anything you say?
  • Reply 68 of 116
    hbvhbv Posts: 2member
    This was a big disappointment as I feel iWork is overdue for an upgrade. I really like and use this product. Has anyone heard anything new with this product.
  • Reply 69 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbv View Post

This was a big disappointment as I feel iWork is overdue for an upgrade. I really like and use this product. Has anyone heard anything new with this product.

Yes, it's still not out and it will continue to still not be out.

What, how are we supposed to know anything about it?
  • Reply 70 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbv View Post

All of the signs point to it being released quite soon. As for it being overdue, I'm not so sure. Yes, the current version of iWork is two years old, but then it's not deficient in any major way, so it hasn't been crying out for an upgrade. As an iWork user from day one, I'd rather that Apple hang onto it for longer and make the updates more meaningful. I'd be more disappointed if they rushed the update to keep it on some arbitrary upgrade cycle.
  • Reply 71 of 116
    I really hope they enable color management so that Pages can be used to do layout for offset printing. It's a wonderful quick-layout program, but doesn't color manage for professional printing...
  • Reply 72 of 116
    I just wish Apple would take a leaf out of Pixelmator's book and pre-announce a free upgrade to iWork 11!

There's virtually no disadvantage in them doing this because they get to take all the money now from people that want iWork '11 but are refusing to buy iWork '09 without a guarantee of a free upgrade. Apple could grow that money (interest/investments) or even put it toward the development of the product itself!

That way I can use iWork '09 fully licensed until they get around to releasing version 11.
  • Reply 73 of 116
    I've been using iWork '09 fully licensed since it was released. It's super affordable and if you held off all the way back then, you can't complain about what's the result of pinching pennies.

That said, you're right. There's no point in getting it now if you don't already have it, and what you suggest would help.
  • Reply 74 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgreeniwa View Post

I really hope they enable color management so that Pages can be used to do layout for offset printing. It's a wonderful quick-layout program, but doesn't color manage for professional printing...

And I hope you can link cells across page breaks.
  • Reply 75 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I've been using iWork '09 fully licensed since it was released. It's super affordable and if you held off all the way back then, you can't complain about what's the result of pinching pennies.

That said, you're right. There's no point in getting it now if you don't already have it, and what you suggest would help.

Oh iWork would have been great value buying it even just a year ago...but I held off for various reasons and now it just seems silly to buy it for AU$70 if they're going to release a paid upgrade tomorrow...

I think the anticipation of this upgrade is unprecedented for any software product from Apple I can remember and it's going to be very successful for them. Apple probably realise they have a great opportunity to kick M$ while they're down (the whole "ribbon" disaster) and are taking extra time to make it as good as it can possibly be. That's my hope anyway. How great would it be if they released it for Windows too. Really take it up to M$.
  • Reply 76 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

I think the anticipation of this upgrade is unprecedented for any software product from Apple...

No, that would be the rebuilt-from-the-ground-up 64-bit Final Cut Suite.
  • Reply 77 of 116
    Quote:

No, that would be the rebuilt-from-the-ground-up 64-bit Final Cut Suite.

That'll be Final Cut Studio 4. Final Cut Studio 5 will be getting a unified interface that's actually based on Mac OS X. Only seven years too late.
  • Reply 78 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Oh iWork would have been great value buying it even just a year ago...but I held off for various reasons and now it just seems silly to buy it for AU$70 if they're going to release a paid upgrade tomorrow...

I think the anticipation of this upgrade is unprecedented for any software product from Apple I can remember and it's going to be very successful for them. Apple probably realise they have a great opportunity to kick M$ while they're down (the whole "ribbon" disaster) and are taking extra time to make it as good as it can possibly be. That's my hope anyway. How great would it be if they released it for Windows too. Really take it up to M$.

I think iWork for Windows is a distinct possibility, especially given iWork for the iPad and iWork.com. The logic is hard to escape.
  • Reply 79 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I think iWork for Windows is a distinct possibility, especially given iWork for the iPad and iWork.com. The logic is hard to escape.

I can't see Apple devoting the resources necessary to fighting MS Office on Windows just because PC users are buying the iPad.

Corporate sales aren't a really big target for Apple, Period.
  • Reply 80 of 116
    Quote:

I can't see Apple devoting the resources necessary to fighting MS Office on Windows just because PC users are buying the iPad.

Corporate sales aren't a really big target for Apple, Period.

Who said anything about corporate sales?