Verizon iPhone offers Wi-Fi tethering but no simultaneous data and voice

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The new iPhone 4 from Verizon will come preinstalled with a free 3G Mobile Hotspot application for Wi-Fi tethering, but the new handset will not offer simultaneous voice and data connections like AT&T [updated].

Verizon customers who buy the new CDMA iPhone will find the carrier's custom 3G Mobile Hotspot application preinstalled, offering the ability to share a 3G data connection with up to five devices. The carrier will also offer access to other applications on the App Store like VZ Navigator and V CAST Media Manager.

Update: Though Verizon characterized the feature as an application, it is actually built in to a new version of iOS, called 4.2.5, that is found on the CDMA iPhone. It is possible that the feature could come to other carriers with the same update.

Currently, iPhone 4 customers on AT&T (and other carriers around the globe) must tether their iPhone to a laptop or compatible device via Bluetooth or USB. AT&T first enabled tethering last June after numerous delays, at a cost of $20 per month.

When asked if AT&T would offer a similar mobile hotspot application in the future, a company spokesman said they would not speculate on what they company may or may not do in the future.

While the Verizon hotspot will give it an advantage over AT&T, and allow tethering with devices like the Wi-Fi-only iPad, the company's CDMA network also has one major shortcoming that AT&T was quick to note: It is not capable of concurrent data and voice connections.

AT&T's HSDPA network allows users to browse the Web or load up applications via its 3G network while on a call, but Verizon's CDMA network does not. That also means that the 3G Wi-Fi hotspot feature would be disabled when a call comes in on the new iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    It may be some HUGE HUGE dealbreaker for some people. I have never found myself in the position of needing to use data while on a call, and obviously ALL current VZ customers will not know what they're supposedly missing SO badly because they have never had it. AT&T didn't even bother to advertise this "incredibly important" feature until a year ago when VZ launched their "there's a map for that" ad campaign. Sure, it's nice to have...and like I said maybe for some people this is something they need to have all of the time, but like Cook said...it's a trade-off. For the vast majority of people out there, not even close to being a dealbreaker.

A far bigger disappointment to me is that they didn't bother to make it a "world phone." Bad for re-sale value, and obviously sucks for international travelers.
  • Reply 2 of 131
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    A hot mess. I was almost going to do the verizon phone until I saw that there is no simultaneous voice/data. What if I'm on the internet? How do I tell the phone not to work so I can stay on the internet?

HUGE DEAL BREAKER! I'm happy with AT&T. They have been very good to me. Plus, they give me a discount at work for having an AT&T phone.
  • Reply 3 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

A hot mess. I was almost going to do the verizon phone until I saw that there is no simultaneous voice/data. What if I'm on the internet? How do I tell the phone not to work so I can stay on the internet?

You... don't buy the Verizon iPhone, then.
  • Reply 4 of 131
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Didn't I just say that already captain obvious.

Apple should've waited until they were ready for a real phone on Verizon. They should've made a LTE/GSM phone for Verizon.
  • Reply 5 of 131
    Quote:

So basically its a sub standard product compared to AT&T...... Imagine: you get a phone call and everyone connected to the hotspot gets bumped off the internet........
  • Reply 6 of 131
    Quote:

I think that's what the person said
  • Reply 7 of 131
    Wait til WWDC 2011 and you'll see a Iphone 4G LTE (with both Verizon, AT&T (possibly Sprint) which can do both.
  • Reply 8 of 131
    Wifi hotspot from your iPhone?!?!?

Well, now that should work with my Wi-Fi only iPad!

No need to buy the 3G iPad.

Interesting. Considering Jobs terse response of "no" when the iPad came out about tethering to the iPhone via BlueTooth.
  • Reply 9 of 131
    Hopefully ATT will allow tethering for free now! Crossing fingers.
  • Reply 10 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I think that's what the person said

Those darn phone calls are just so inconvenient for your internet device
  • Reply 11 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

Wait til WWDC 2011 and you'll see a Iphone 4G LTE (with both Verizon, AT&T (possibly Sprint) which can do both.

AAPL down the whole day......... I guess traders were expecting something better....
  • Reply 12 of 131
    Quote:

Didn't I just say that already captain obvious.

Apple should've waited until they were ready for a real phone on Verizon. They should've made a LTE/GSM phone for Verizon.

You assume the issue is Apple. Rather than being that LTE is not mature enough to be a good choice for customers in terms of network, battery etc.
  • Reply 13 of 131
    It's a shame it's not CDMA/GSM so you can use it overseas when you travel.
  • Reply 14 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jman_in_NYC View Post

It's a shame it's not CDMA/GSM so you can use it overseas when you travel.

Another reason why the stock is down today
  • Reply 15 of 131
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Wifi hotspot from your iPhone?!?!?

Well, now that should work with my Wi-Fi only iPad!

No need to buy the 3G iPad.

Interesting. Considering Jobs terse response of "no" when the iPad came out about tethering to the iPhone via BlueTooth.

I'm hoping this feature eventually makes it to all iPhones.
  • Reply 16 of 131
    Hot Spot that disconnects when a call comes in is at best USELESS!

Hot Spots runs your battery down faster than you blink your eye. Ask the EVO users, they will tell you so.

WARNING: To you all people currently on AT&T, who are trying to jump ship to Verizon; the grass is not greener on the other side!

• Reply 17 of 131
    So I made a comment in previous discussion thread on launch of Verizon iPhone, that we will now be able to compare the networks. Now I see this will not be the case. Verizon have been shouting to everyone their have a better network coverage, but AT&T has superior support for more diverse way of working.

I had a funny feeling Verizon was throwing stones and their lived in a glass house and this little update proves my point!
  • Reply 18 of 131
    sc*** Verizon!

I have no issues with att here on Miami Beach. My iphone 4 is juts fine. And gods knows I don't want Verizon fu***** with my itunes. I haven't heard anything about this but just keep an eye out.
  • Reply 19 of 131
    If their awful overpriced and substandard V-cast and other content services aren't removable from it, NO WAY. V-cast is total crap in every conceivable way. I don't think they're going to see many converts if they're going to be forcing V-cast down people's throats.

My contract with AT&T and my 3Gs is up this summer. I also have been quite satisfied with AT&T's service, with the one notable exception that it took them almost three months to get my bill right every month. Yeah, I've had some dropped calls, and there are places where I can only get an Edge connection, but overall I've had good service from them.

Listen up Verizon; it's a buyer's market, and if you try the same shtick with the iPhone that you've done with all your other devices, you're not going to get the return you think you will. Give people what they want and then they'll pay for your service, and not until.
  • Reply 20 of 131
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

HUGE DEAL BREAKER! I'm happy with AT&T. They have been very good to me. Plus, they give me a discount at work for having an AT&T phone.

While I am not certain, my understanding is that if a call comes in you can simple hit the Ignore button and continue with your data session uninterrupted. So not like you get booted off and you have to re-establish the data connection.

I'm guessing (so don't frag me if I'm wrong) that the incoming call alert is over the control frequencies, not the main connection channel. So if you ignore the call a voice connection is never made. But obviously if you Accept the call, your data connection will be interrupted while you are on the voice call. One question is if the data connection will automatically be re-established once you end the voice call, or if you need to re-establish the data connection.

Obviously, this is not ideal, but far from the end-of-the-world as some would claim.