• Reply 120 of 254
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Distinct model. No SIM tray.

? Where?

It says so in iOS 4.0 documentation
  • Reply 122 of 254
    So about this non-concurrent voice/data thing...

If I'm using my phone as a GPS in my car, giving me turn-by-turn voice instructions through TomTom, what happens when I get a phone call?

Does it drop the data connection, or does the call go to voicemail? Does that mean if I'm on the road for three hours I won't get any calls?

If it does take the call, what happens to the app?

a) does it quit the app entirely?

b) multi-task out of it, leaving it "on" but unable to retrieve nav data?

If b), will it then resume when the call is complete?

Just curious about the mechanics of this.
  • Reply 123 of 254
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

? Where ( is GCD)?

Its in iOS 4. Theres very little else I can say about this - almost the entire new API set in iOS uses blocks for coding. Its all on the developer website. And their university and WWDC code.
  • Reply 124 of 254
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

What's funny they'll probably get a lot of people to get the Iphone 4 however they will be suckered because Apple will announce the Iphone 4G LTE at WWDC 2011. Also, the current Iphone 4 won't be compatible to LTE technology which means you'll have to fork even MORE money over.

Don't fanboys watch Apple's pattern? stupid..

Because everyother phone sold for Verizon is LTE? No, that is really bad reasoning you are trying to use. LTE is too new to use, simple. As for those getting 'suckered', well, people are buying iPhone 4's to use on AT&T right now, today, at this very moment. They are doing so, right now, today, at this very moment, with the same considerations the Verizon customer will have. Should the buy today or wait for the summer release.
  • Reply 125 of 254
    Quote:

/snip ... new CDMA handset also includes the redesigned antenna and frame that was shown in photos and video that leaked to the Internet earlier this month... /snip

Where can I get more information about this new antenna and frame design?
  • Reply 126 of 254
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Distinct model. No SIM tray.

Yup, see that now, thanks.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/01/11...ne-4-hands-on/
  • Reply 127 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

How does the mobile hot spot work if I have another device tethered to my phone and I get a voice call? Does my data connection drop?

Yep. This is why Verizon offers free tethering - it's a worthless feature. Imagine the joy of having 5 devices dropping for every call, I'm sure that incredible bandwidth goes real far sliced in fifths. That multitasking iOS is now a lot less useful too.

I guess Verizonites can buy a second iPhone for data, but they should make sure to activate the right blinker, ya know... to merge right with the slower data traffic.
  • Reply 128 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

And then the question becomes how do you turn off calling and keep the tethering on.

FYI, if you are in a data session, but are not actively receiving data, you will receive a call.

If you are receiving data, you will not be interrupted and the call goes to VM.

While on wifi sharing, who knows...
  • Reply 129 of 254
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the qualcomm chipset sucks for graphics which means crappy game playing

I don?t think the baseband chipset in question would be used as the CPU, GPU, RAM of the PoP, SoC.
  • Reply 130 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Where can I get more information about this new antenna and frame design?

By looking at Engadget's gallery, probably. Apple's not going to tell you anything about them.
  • Reply 131 of 254
    Quote:

What's funny they'll probably get a lot of people to get the Iphone 4 however they will be suckered because Apple will announce the Iphone 4G LTE at WWDC 2011. Also, the current Iphone 4 won't be compatible to LTE technology which means you'll have to fork even MORE money over.

Did somebody leave the door open again??!!
  • Reply 132 of 254
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Ha! No concurrent talking and surfing!

One less reason for me to be forced to have a data plan.

Upsized font is lame.

VZW does have a habit of giving customers spurious charges though, if the phone ever leaks out a data request, you might get charged for it. It's also an open question whether they'll offer the device without a data plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

No Free Wifi

As in AT&T's WiFi network? I've found that to be not worth the trouble, it works fine in one establishment, but it doesn't pass any data to the outside world in another, so I had to turn it off.
  • Reply 133 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Canada's CDMA coverage is significantly greater than it's 3G coverage.

That's true to the south as well.
  • Reply 134 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Another interesting tidbit, APPLE stock has dropped slightly after the announcement today. (-0.80)

No big surprise. Probably just some quick buy/sells to take advantage of the event. The ramp-up was already taking place price to the event.

Quote:

Where did you read about this one?

And how is that even relevant to the processor, memory, et al.?
  • Reply 135 of 254
    Quote:

Maybe not. Cook implied that the current generation of LTE chipsets might be too bulky.

Quote:

You do understand that qualcom is a leading manufacturer of cellular radios right? They do other things than just the snapdragon.
  • Reply 136 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Finally, some sense out of you. I am trolling back! Which means you are indeed a Troll.

As a matter of fact I am your very own personal Troll! Watch out for my shadow!

If you are not ashamed of your behaviour, then you have real problems! You were even likened to the Arizona killer in your behavioural patterns! Aren't you ashamed of being compared to him?

I have nothing to be ashamed about. In fact, as already mentioned, if DED didn't claim he wasn't wrong, I wouldn't have cared one bit.

But he didn't, then claims he isn't god, when his writings say otherwise.

Again, you are more than free to post why DED wasn't wrong on his predictions back in 2009.
  • Reply 137 of 254
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post

So about this non-concurrent voice/data thing...

If I'm using my phone as a GPS in my car, giving me turn-by-turn voice instructions through TomTom, what happens when I get a phone call?

It drops the data connection, I get that. But what happens to the navigation app?

a) does it quit the app entirely?

b) multi-task out of it, leaving it "on" but unable to retrieve nav data?

If b), will it then resume when the call is complete?

Just curious about the mechanics of this.

I think it is a combination of things. For regular turn by turn when you set up the destination the program loads all the required data. From that point on the GPS satellites and the GPS application continue to work while you are on the phone without any cell data required. The simultaneous data would come into play if you asked for a restaurant location or point of interest which would need to come from cell data. Probably zoomed map tiles would not be available without cell data either.

I don't have Tom Tom but apparently GPS turn by turn does work on Verizon Androids while on a call, at least according to a friend who confirmed that on his Droid.
  • Reply 138 of 254
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

well, in that case it's either means that iPhone 5 will be released in the summer for both AT&T and Verizon and will anger the new Verizon iPhone 4 customers or

the iPhone 5 will be released for both AT&T and Verizon next Feb (2012) and will anger(?) or disappoint everyone else who's waiting for the next model.

Doesn't make sense...

Why would people be angry? You buy technology knowing it will be superseded. Anyone who cares about this stuff knows the iPhone five will happen in the summer and hold off purchasing until then. People buy the 3G knowing it's not the latest version. Don't assume consumers are stupid.
  • Reply 139 of 254
    looks like apple would not allow verizon's defunct signal bar system with their 1x and 2x bull.
  • Reply 140 of 254
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I

Again, you are more than free to post why DED wasn't wrong on his predictions back in 2009.

And what would be the point of that. A dozen people did exactly that on DED's site and your answer to that was to call everyone stupid and mactards! Why would I want to expose myself to your abuse, just because I don't agree with your points?

No, I'll stick to Trolling you, that's more fun.