Apple's iPhone 4 coming to Verizon on Feb. 10 for $199

Comments

• Reply 141 of 254
    Yet another ``hobby' '... Who says Apple can't take up hobbies? *yawn*
  • Reply 142 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless Apple plans on changing release cycles, Verizon gets the iPhone 4 for four months by the standard reasoning. Waste of time for anyone who wants one; iPhone 5 would come out in the summer.

Ah, we just got a "We don't comment on [the refresh cycle]" from Tim Cook, so what I said above is probably what's going to happen.

That doesn't mean anything. If you asked Tim Cook if Apple was planning on releasing a hoverboard you'd probably would get the same response.
  • Reply 143 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Jun 2007 iPhone

Jul 2008 iPhone 3G

Jun 2009 iPhone 3G S

Jun 2010 iPhone 4

Feb 2011 iPhone 4 on Verizon

Jun 2011 iPhone 4 S

Jun 2012 iPhone 5

But why would the sixth iPhone be called the "iPhone 5"? Wouldn't it be the iPhone 6?
  • Reply 144 of 254
    For whoever said "no free WiFi" on VZW that is totally incorrect.

From the FAQs on the VZW site regarding overseas use:

Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

"Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries. For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally. "

And as my friends usually do when overseas with their iPhones and don't want to incur the cost is turn off the voice and just use WiFi.
  • Reply 145 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless Apple plans on changing release cycles, Verizon gets the iPhone 4 for four months by the standard reasoning. Waste of time for anyone who wants one; iPhone 5 would come out in the summer.

Ah, we just got a "We don't comment on [the refresh cycle]" from Tim Cook, so what I said above is probably what's going to happen.

Your over complicating things. iP5 or 4S will happen regardless.

People who want the iP4 on Verizon now will buy it. Those who don't will wait for iP5/4S. Apple won't change a thing. Tim Cook has already said Verizon wanted it now so why wait.

Once iP5/4S comes out the iP4 will be reduced in price in the same way 3GS is now. Most people i know who have recently bought the iPhone have opted for the 3GS. Price plays a powerful role when it comes to purchasing decisions.

Plus, there's an international market outside the US remember that pays the going rate. Apple won't delay a new phone just to please Verizon customers.
  • Reply 146 of 254
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    wow my foot sure does taste bad LOL

With as many rumors as there have been about this, I seriously never thought we would see this in 2011, but sure enough, here we are.
  • Reply 147 of 254
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprockkets (in some debate about a matter of apparently earth-shaking importance with iStud)

Again, you are more than free to post why DED wasn't wrong on his predictions back in 2009.

And what would be the point of that. A dozen people did exactly that on DED's site and your answer to that was to call everyone stupid and mactards! Why would I want to expose myself to your abuse, just because I don't agree with your points?

No, I'll stick to Trolling you, that's more fun.

What the hell are you two going on and on about? You sound like two incensed clerics debating a meaningless scriptural conflict about two different letters in the New Testament. Stuff it already or take it to email between your babbling selves.
  • Reply 148 of 254
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The Fact Steve Jobs was not there tells the real story, Steve is not really behind this and probably is not looking at this as being successful.

The Markets are looking at it the same way, apple stock drop they do not see this a big win for Apple.

VZ stock dropped too

And Motorola drop since VZ said they reduced their inventories in anticipation of the coming Iphone.
  • Reply 149 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rod2625 View Post

For whoever said "no free WiFi" on VZW that is totally incorrect.

They were, I imagine, speaking of the AT&T WiFi hotspots. Not WiFi networks in general.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The Fact Steve Jobs was not there tells the real story, Steve is not really behind this and probably is not looking at this as being successful.

The Markets are looking at it the same way, apple stock drop they do not see this a big win for Apple.

Steve Jobs being absent tells of no such thing.

I would wager Steve Jobs is (rightly) expecting this to be hugely successful.

The markets adjusted for this announcement, which was exactly what the markets expected, before the event. That it didn't shoot up after this event is not indicative of what the market thinks. That it kept the gains it built up prior to this event is.
  • Reply 150 of 254
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    After reading through just a few comments here, I gotta ask (and this is a little off topic): Can we EVER, or have we EVER have/had a discussion where the word troll WASN'T used?
  • Reply 151 of 254
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

What the hell are you two going on and on about? You sound like two incensed clerics debating a meaningless scriptural conflict about two different letters in the New Testament. Stuff it already or take it to email between your babbling selves.

You really made me laugh!

You are right! But I could not resist trolling that chap!

I'm done now. over and out!
  • Reply 152 of 254
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Don't see any signs of Verizon's CRAPWARE pre-installed like all their phones do. I guess the iPhone continues to be the only phone unbastardized by the carriers..

Read again. It does.
  • Reply 153 of 254
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

After reading through just a few comments here, I gotta ask (and this is a little off topic): Can we EVER, or have we EVER have/had a discussion where the word troll WASN'T used?

Am afraid not.
  • Reply 154 of 254
    Quote:

VZ stock dropped too

And Motorola drop since VZ said they reduced their inventories in anticipation of the coming Iphone.

It's not a new product so why should he be there. He's never at any new carrier announcements.
  • Reply 155 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

And what would be the point of that. A dozen people did exactly that on DED's site and your answer to that was to call everyone stupid and mactards! Why would I want to expose myself to your abuse, just because I don't agree with your points?

No, I'll stick to Trolling you, that's more fun.

Because obviously someone who calls out DED on something must be an Android fanboy. That's called ad hominem + strawman, throwing up a smoke screen instead of addressing the issue.

That's when I called those people stupid, as in, I have proof right here that you are ignoring my points and are just trying to change the issue.
  • Reply 156 of 254
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

VZ stock dropped too

I think Jobs and Apple love this, but technologically, it is a tiny, tiny move for them. Why would Steve come out for a trivial change? From a perspective of opening a market for them, it is huge. But, Apple and AT&T are still friends. For Steve to show up for what amounts to another carrier among many, would be to very publicly give the finger at AT&T.
  • Reply 157 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon has once again crippled a device.

Why would I pay more (given good coverage where I am at) for:

No Concurrent Data/Voice (Verizon users....trust me...this is like power windows in a car...once you have it, you wonder how you lived without it)

No Free Wifi

No international coverage (this also results in less demand for selling your used iPhone)

No Rollover Minutes

Visual Voicemail will not update while you are on another call

Unless Verizon has monthly plans at half the price, forget it.

No Free wifi?
  • Reply 158 of 254
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Because obviously someone who calls out DED on something must be an Android fanboy. That's called ad hominem + strawman, throwing up a smoke screen instead of addressing the issue.

That's when I called those people stupid, as in, I have proof right here that you are ignoring my points and are just trying to change the issue.

As I said above. I'm over and out. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to continue this discussion.
  • Reply 159 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't have Tom Tom but apparently GPS turn by turn does work on Verizon Androids while on a call, at least according to a friend who confirmed that on his Droid.

It does that by caching. If the phone call is long enough you'll reach the end of saved data.
  • Reply 160 of 254
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The reason VZ has been claiming they will not have network issue is the simple fact, No talk and data at the same time. Of course they will not have issue since you will be automatically limited on how much bandwidth any one person can consume.

In this case instead of people blaming AT&T for dropped calls because of the all be bandwidth usage of the iphone on their network.

The typical VZ customer will blame Apple for the poor experience people will have with the iphone on VZ network.

This is not going to be good for Apple, people are not going to understand the user experience is a VZ issue not an Apple issue.