Verizon iPhone offers Wi-Fi tethering but no simultaneous data and voice

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    Quote:

Since all people with iphones here have been with AT&T (in US), they are looking too much into the simultaneous voice and data issue. Most regular customers won't care. And really, if you don't want to get booted off the data connection, you can press the ignore button when a call comes through. It is not that hard. Or you can accept the call, and wait for the tethered device to update the page when you end the call. Not an ideal scenario, but considering that you get free tethering in exchange it is an insignificant issue.

Here's a novel idea if this is so important for people...STAY with AT&T! What's the point complaining about what Verizon is offering or is not when it doesn't affect you AT ALL?
  • Reply 62 of 131
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Assuming the real 4G LTE iphone comes out in July 2012...so 18 months from now....one phone that will work on both ATT and Verizon, and not two separate versions, I don't see the big deal in this being CDMA only.

Take almost any carrier worldwide, GSM/EDGE still has a wider coverage than 3G (same is true for CDMA and EVDO). And that is what, five years since the introduction of 3G? Even in five years from now, LTE/4G will not have the same coverage as GSM/EDGE (or basic CDMA). No way would you want a phone which is 4G only, you would not be able to make phone calls in areas which are covered today by GSM/EDGE (or basic CDMA).

Thus any 4G phone in the next five years will also include GSM/EDGE (or CDMA). Unless all phones go multi-system (ie, supporting both GSM and CDMA on top of 3G and 4G), there will still be CDMA-based and GSM-based phones around. Of course, Verizon has a much higher incentive to bring 4G to its entire network than GSM-based carriers have because the market for CDMA phones will shrink rather fast as the CDMA functionality will be needed by a rapidly decreasing population and thus the support from phone manufacturers will shrink as well.
  • Reply 63 of 131
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm saying Apple should've waited because Verizon isn't ready for the Iphone yet instead of trying to shoehorn in 1980s technology into a state of the art 2010 phone.

How is a CDMA iPhone worse than no iPhone?
  • Reply 64 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If it's down for that reason, it just goes to show (once again) how irrational the stock market is. An iPhone on Verizon is better than no iPhone on Verizon, so the announcement shouldn't be a negative. Furthermore, basically everyone was saying that this wouldn't be a new device and it would not have LTE, so nothing should have come as a surprise.

Nah ... Two trading days ago, AAPL had a low of 331.9. Today the high was 344.96. You think, maybe, that now that the news is out, and there are no real surprises, there would be people looking to take profit?

In any case the pullback comes on pretty small volume.

If you are a long term holder of AAPL stock, this changes nothing. Just intraday noise.

Be aware that AAPL stock has done magnificently for quite a while, and will probably suffer a slight correction at some point. If you are concerned, you can buy puts as insurance, and possibly look to pullbacks as a buying opportunity. If you are looking to buy AAPL stock, you could consider selling out of the money puts so as to buy stock at a discount or profit from continued bullishness.
  • Reply 65 of 131
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You mean wait a year, let Android continue to become entrenched on non-ATT battlefields, and limit the iPhone to very select Verizon markets as LTE isn't widely adopted yet?

That doesn't seem like the way to go. Verizon people are already used to this limitation. Apple's goal is not to have people switch from AT&T, but to gain new Verizon customers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Didn't I just say that already captain obvious.

Apple should've waited until they were ready for a real phone on Verizon. They should've made a LTE/GSM phone for Verizon.

• Reply 66 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Any word on Visual Voicemail being included?

edit:

What’s good: Verizon customers will get access to Visual Voicemail.

What’s bad: Existing Verizon customers will lose their old voicemail boxes, including all messages and greetings, so they will need to listen to everything they want to hear before making the transition. “All existing messages will be erased and can not be recovered” once an iPhone 4 is activated, Verizon notes.

How about weight, battery mAh, et al. specs?

edit: All looks to be the same.

I am eating my words. Apple did release a lesser iPhone. Hopefully the masses will buy and send AAPL up.

Oh well I'll stay put with AT&T and wait for the iPhone 4G or is that 5?

The hot spot is nice, although be nicer if iPad was able to use it. I wonder if iPad 2 will be able to?

p.s. I struck out on your 2 a.m. quiz too
  • Reply 67 of 131
    So how will VOIP apps like Skype work? That's a voice over a data connection, right? If it works at all it seems like other data connections (browsing, email) would continue while talking.
  • Reply 68 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

AAPL down the whole day......... I guess traders were expecting something better....

Buy on rumors. Sell on news.
  • Reply 69 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

How is a CDMA iPhone worse than no iPhone?

Good point where sales are concerned. Just personally I'll wait for the next gen.
  • Reply 70 of 131
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Assuming the real 4G LTE iphone comes out in July 2012...so 18 months from now....one phone that will work on both ATT and Verizon, and not two separate versions, I don't see the big deal in this being CDMA only.

Not good assumptions.

1) Verizon's LTE implementation still uses CDMA for voice and LTE for 4G data only.

2) It will be years before VZ gets switched over completely to LTE 4G data, and in some areas likely many, many years. So VZ phones will need to be backward compatible for a long time to come.

3) VZ radio frequency bands are not the same as AT&T's.

As long as these factors persist the VZ iPhones will remain incompatible with the AT&T versions.
  • Reply 71 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am eating my words. Apple did release a lesser iPhone. Oh well I'll stay put with AT&T and wait for the iPhone 4G or is that 5?

I?ll be staying put. At this point we don?t know if the CDMA and GSM versions will be released together for the iPhone 5. For all we know AT&T?s contract still allows them to have first dibs in the US for a set time frame or Apple?s figured out that a staggered release of the two model types allows them to keep up with production easier.

Quote:

The hot spot is nice, although be nicer if iPad was able to use it. I wonder if iPad 2 will be able to?

The iPad can use. It?ll just present a WiFi network to the iPad. This is a nice feature, but I wonder what the power drain will be.

Quote:

p.s. I struck out on your 2 a.m. quiz too

It was just to get people to think about them. They certainly couldn?t be answered by anyone here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

So how will VOIP apps like Skype work? That's a voice over a data connection, right? If it works at all it seems like other data connections (browsing, email) would continue while talking.

• Reply 72 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

That is my question as well. Why not just use the iPhone as a VOIP phone and never use the voice connection? Problem solved.

Now, are many people going to get a cell phone and then never use the cell phone number? Probably not, but for the tech-savvy it solves the simultaneous voice & data problem.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 73 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

A bit of info for you mate:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/bac...-the-bad-news/

Great link!
  • Reply 74 of 131
    Quote:

The iPad can use. It?ll just present a WiFi network to the iPad. This is a nice feature, but I wonder what the power drain will be.

Partial quote:

Really? I must have misunderstood, I just read it couldn't somewhere. That is good then.
  • Reply 75 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Partial quote:

Really? I must have misunderstood, I just read it couldn't somewhere. That is good then.

Perhaps I?m not understanding what they mean by making it a WiFi or BT HotSpot, but I?d think any device with those types of connections for internet could utilize it.
  • Reply 76 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Fail. Simply, fail.

Then don't buy it?

The tech doesn't support it. I suppose you won't be buying LTE phones because LTE in and of itself can't do voice, then.
  • Reply 77 of 131
    Hi everyone,

I have a Droid Incredible w/Mobile Hotspot, and did a couple quick experiments: I had my iPod Touch using it and started browsing websites. While sites were loading I called my cell from another phone. The web page downloads paused while the call was active, but resumed immediately after the call finished OR went to voicemail. It did not have to re-start the page load from scratch.

I also sent/received a couple texts while browsing on the iPod and there was no noticeable interruption at all.

Overall I find the Mobile Hotspot very handy. I use it all the time with my iPad and iPod Touch and love it. I communicate via text rather than voice most of the time these days, so the simultaneous voice/data issue is not really significant for me.
  • Reply 78 of 131
    Quote:

Perhaps I?m not understanding what they mean by making it a WiFi or BT HotSpot, but I?d think any device with those types of connections for internet could utilize it.

You are correct. I had an old web page where SJ said it couldn't ... not sure what that was all about and I can't find it now.
  • Reply 79 of 131
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?the company's CDMA network also has one major shortcoming?: It is not capable of concurrent data and voice connections.

Not to profess to be an expert in this field, but perusing Cellutips' article, "CDMA vs. GSM, Which One Is the Best for You?"* and reviewing Apple's iPhone 4 specs, why is it totally necessary that there be concurrent data and voice connections?" The fact that CDMA networks/users never had it before and with such a relatively low user base, why is it up to Apple to solve a mostly 'American' issue?

Considering that the iPhone 4 has multitasking, I would expect that a data bearing app simply goes into a temporary hold mode while the user switches to voice. Then instantaneously activating data when switching back. True, my TomTom would suffer a bit, but hell, until iPhone 4, it still was one of my favorite apps.

Certainly not the ideal, particularly now that Apple has so greatly demonstrated its value more so than anyone else, the perceived issues are really just momentary.

But then, the vitriol that purveys here seems to come from ignorance, and certainly not by by experience.

At least do some homework, it is not all that bad, e.g.,
    Quote:

What?s bad: Existing Verizon customers will lose their old voicemail boxes, including all messages and greetings, so they will need to listen to everything they want to hear before making the transition. ?All existing messages will be erased and can not be recovered? once an iPhone 4 is activated, Verizon notes.

But as they explain, it is all that catastrophic? http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_vvm.html

Remember,
    Quote:

After a year and a half of secret meetings, Jobs had finally negotiated terms with the wireless division of the telecom giant (Cingular at the time) to be the iPhone's carrier. In return for five years of exclusivity, roughly 10 percent of iPhone sales in AT&T stores, and a thin slice of Apple's iTunes revenue, AT&T had granted Jobs unprecedented power. He had cajoled AT&T into spending millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours to create a new feature, so-called visual voicemail, and to reinvent the time-consuming in-store sign-up process. He'd also wrangled a unique revenue-sharing arrangement, garnering roughly $10 a month from every iPhone customer's AT&T bill. On top of all that, Apple retained complete control over the design, manufacturing, and marketing of the iPhone. Jobs had done the unthinkable: squeezed a good deal out of one of the largest players in the entrenched wireless industry.

http://www.wired.com/print/gadgets/w...6-02/ff_iphone

Only one company came to the table. And he kept his promise.

* http://www.cellutips.com/gsm-vs-cdma...-best-for-you/

P.S., There may also be some physical differences between the GSM iPhone 4 and the CDMA version?
    Quote:

If I have an iPhone 4 on another wireless carrier and switch to an iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless, will all of my accessories be compatible?

Most accessories should work, however you may find that cases and covers could be different depending on the product manufacturer.

Question 11: http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

• Reply 80 of 131
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmamule View Post

I have a Droid Incredible w/Mobile Hotspot, and did a couple quick experiments: I had my iPod Touch using it and started browsing websites. While sites were loading I called my cell from another phone. The web page downloads paused while the call was active, but resumed immediately after the call finished OR went to voicemail. It did not have to re-start the page load from scratch.

Well most devices that connect to a network will continue to attempt to connect until it hits a preset timeout limit. What that limit is, not sure? After enough time has lapsed, it will timeout and the page will have to be reloaded when the network comes back up.

So if you did a quick test, say under 30 seconds, you won't get a complete disconnect.