Verizon iPhone expected to cause Android-based competitors to embrace 4G

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Ahh, so they are really selling a bill of goods on that whole 4G malarky.

There is nothing wrong with that marketing. They aren?t saying it?s the ITU?s definition of ?4G? so it?s a moot point. Unless the FCC steps in and says you can only refer to your network based on the ITU defined standards they aren?t breaking any laws. Who really knows the ITU standards anyway?
  • Reply 22 of 49
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is nothing wrong with that marketing. They aren?t saying it?s the ITU?s definition of ?4G? so it?s a moot point. Unless the FCC steps in and says you can only refer to your network based on the ITU defined standards they aren?t breaking any laws. Who really knows the ITU standards anyway?

Last time I heard ITU had pretty high standards.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It renders any distinction between 3G and 4G pointless. If T-Mob calls HSPA+ 4G, there really is no such thing as 3G or 4G. It becomes a meaningless tag.

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with that marketing. They aren’t saying it’s the ITU’s definition of ‘4G’ so it’s a moot point. Unless the FCC steps in and says you can only refer to your network based on the ITU defined standards they aren’t breaking any laws. Who really knows the ITU standards anyway?

• Reply 24 of 49
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Now we know that LTE is probably off the table for iPhone 5, I think what we will see is a significant processor speed or memory improvement instead and I think that it will be more than welcome. The iPad struggles quite a bit with it's slow processor and limited memory, the iPhone would too if it had any productivity apps that actually taxed the thing.

I'd like to see a dual or four core chip and twice the memory for starters. For the iPad it's almost essential, but it would be nice for the iPhone as well and I don't see it getting in anyone's way.

It's a little strange that a "productivity app" would tax the iPhone more than games. Writing documents should not tax the specs, but games should and have been doing very well on the limited resources of both the iPhone and iPad. I'd welcome more speed and memory, but they are fairly capable as is. The only time resources are an issue for me is when hitting the back button in Safari - it always has to reload the page, which is very slow.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:

It renders any distinction between 3G and 4G pointless. If T-Mob calls HSPA+ 4G, there really is no such thing as 3G or 4G. It becomes a meaningless tag.

It always has been unless qualified. The number plus ?G? designation to refer to generation is meaningless on its own. From Verizon?s PoV they had CDMA as ?2G?, CDMA2000/EV-DO as ?3G?, and now LTE, which is there biggest network change ever, they are calling ?4G?. I see nothing wrong with them calling their 4th generation of major network overhauls 4G just as I see nothing wrong with people referring to the most recent iPod Nano as the 6G model. Sure, it?s harder to confuse meaning with the Nano, but that?s why these need to be qualified and understood so we don?t confuse them.

Furthermore, we?ve dealt with Verizon calling their EV-DO 1x ?3G? when the speeds could easily have been slower than AT&T?s EDGE ?2G?. I?d love for the designation to be based on a minimum and up and down throughput rate, but that?s simply not going to happen without government oversight, and since it only appeals to a few people I doubt will ever happen.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    Not sure the distinction is pointless, but it's a lot like 4 guys living in tract homes in a middle class neighborhood all claiming to have the best house when, to everyone else, they are all pretty much the same. In my opinion, Verizon has a bigger lot, more upgrades and now new appliances so it gets more looks and chosen more often.

Quote:

• Reply 27 of 49
    I don't have any problem with Verizon's branding. I can see EVDO being its 3rd generation network as well as LTE being their 4th generation network.

No one else in the entire world but T-Mob is calling HSPA+ 4G. Its purely marketing spin.

What will T-Mob label LTE when everyone else is calling it 4G? It unnecessarily complicates things and confuses people.

Actually I disagree that it only effects a few people. It effects everyone who is shopping in the mobile phone market.

Quote:

It always has been unless qualified. The number plus ‘G’ designation to refer to generation is meaningless on its own. From Verizon’s PoV they had CDMA as ‘2G’, CDMA2000/EV-DO as ‘3G’, and now LTE, which is there biggest network change ever, they are calling ‘4G’. I see nothing wrong with them calling their 4th generation of major network overhauls 4G

• Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:

What will T-Mob label LTE when everyone else is calling it 4G?

4G eLiTE?
  • Reply 29 of 49
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    What is the standard download/upload rates that ITU considers "true" 4G LTE (or Wimax) networks?

I'm now getting between 3 and 4 Mbps download and .5 to 1.3 upload Mbps rates on ATT around the area (on my iP4) (a significant increase from last week, by the way). How does this compare with ITU 4G standards (not so-called carrier 4G specs as they exist today)?
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

What is the standard download/upload rates that ITU considers "true" 4G LTE (or Wimax) networks?

I'm now getting between 3 and 4 Mbps download and .5 to 1.3 upload Mbps rates on ATT around the area (on my iP4) (a significant increase from last week, by the way). How does this compare with ITU 4G standards (not so-called carrier 4G specs as they exist today)?

• Reply 31 of 49
    The ITU wants to standardize 4G at 1Gb download 800Mb upload.

Currently LTE and WiMAX are not even close.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

• Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:

4G eLiTE?

4Ge(nhanced)?
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:

That wasn?t my point. Sure, we all want these devices to be faster and better, but a simple HW comparison should be used as proof as there are other variables to consider.

The point of using better HW isn?t easily quantified when you have different OSes on them. With Android not having GPU accelerated UI it will likely needs more RAM and CPU cycles to do the same job as the iPhone.

Could an Android tablet run on 256MB RAM as well as the iPad can? I don?t think so. I do think the iPad need more RAM and hope it gets 1GB, but that is a different issue. The iPhone 5 won?t get a quad-core ARM CPU because it?s not available. Only last week we saw dual-core Cortex-A9 processors in devices COMING OUT LATER THIS YEAR. I bet most of them ship after the iPad 2.

Here is an example of what I mean by HW specs not being a great indicator of performance when cross comparing OSes. Note that even the iPhone 3GS with a 600MHz CPU, 256MB RAM and 802.11g is besting the throughput of 1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM and 802.11n Android devices.

The saddest part of that chart, regardless of device, is how crappy N performance is, period.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

This reminds me of the "MHz Myth" campaign back when Apple tried to convince the market that G5 Macs running OSX were faster than Intel PCs. Though many, including myself, supported the myth argument, at the end of the day most users don´t buy it and prefer to go only with hardware specs, unfortunately.

Course on the sunspider benchmark (arguably more CPU intensive) the N1 beats everything...

Yes, we know it's all about 2.2.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Well it is on phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

The saddest part of that chart, regardless of device, is how crappy N performance is, period.

• Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Well it is on phones.

True. But even on desktops, you can typically get 22mbps on G. The diff on the g vs. n on the iphone is just ridiculous. But again, it isn't just an apple issue.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    While new devices fight for bandwith on the LTE network, iPhone will have plenty of bandwith to actually connect to the internet at solid speeds.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    A desktop has an unlimited power supply and far more access to resources than a phone does.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

True. But even on desktops, you can typically get 22mbps on G. The diff on the g vs. n on the iphone is just ridiculous. But again, it isn't just an apple issue.

• Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

A desktop has an unlimited power supply and far more access to resources than a phone does.

How far down the troll-hole is he that you can?t see that Apple?s driver and OS are much better that the listed competition at pulling faster WiFi data rates at lower power. Does he really think that 802.11n is working the same without consideration across all systems?
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

I doubt that is the reason. But if so then ARM has a long way to go...