Apple to add Wi-Fi hotspot to GSM iPhone with iOS 4.3 - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The new Personal Hotspot feature on iOS 4.2.5 will not remain exclusive to the CDMA variant of the iPhone 4, and will arrive with the release of iOS 4.3 for existing GSM-based handsets, according to a new rumor.

As reported by iPhoneHellas.gr, (via Google Translate), the feature will be part of a purported update in the works known as iOS 4.3. The rumor was credited to "reliable information" obtained by the site.

The Personal Hotspot feature is included in a new version of iOS, dubbed 4.2.5, that was spotted on pre-release CDMA iPhone hardware shown off at Tuesday's Verizon iPhone press conference. The feature is found in the Settings application on the phone, where it can be turned on or off and the Wi-Fi password can be changed.

In July, iPhoneHellas.gr correctly indicated the release date of iOS 4.0.1. The publication also correctly stated the release of iPhone OS 2.2 in 2008, 10 days in advance.

In addition, on Tuesday iPhoneclub.nl (via Google Translate) also reported that the iOS 4.3 update will only support the mobile hotspot feature, which allows up to five devices to be connected to a 3G data connection over Wi-Fi, will only be available if a carrier offers it.

AT&T famously did not allow tethering on the iPhone in the U.S. even after Apple had added the ability to share a wireless Internet connection via USB or Bluetooth to its mobile operating system. The feature eventually arrived last June alongside new, capped data plans. Tethering with an iPhone on AT&T costs an extra $20 per month.

When asked by AppleInsider on Tuesday whether AT&T will offer the Personal Hotspot feature on its network, a company spokesperson said they wouldn't "speculate" on potential future features. Apple has not made any mention of the Personal Hotspot coming to existing iPhones since the feature was first revealed on Tuesday.

The last time a supposed iOS 4.3 was mentioned was in November, when it was suggested the software update could add recurring application subscriptions with software on the App Store. Such a feature could allow iPad users to pay to subscribe to a regularly updated publication, like a newspaper or magazine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    let the GAMES BEGIN.

i want a GREAT DEAL with benefits

what is a great deal with att?

love this stuff, hope that my next 2 year contract rocks
  • Reply 2 of 30
    If I had to speculate, I'd say it comes out January 18th to coincide with the release of: "The Daily".
  • Reply 3 of 30
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I think the iPhone and iPod touch will get an updated version of iOS when the Verizon iPhone is released. Maybe it's 4.2.5 or maybe that's just an internal build and the Verizon iPhone will ship with 4.3 and the GSM iPhone and iPod touch will get it too. I don't think Apple has ever had different versions running on the iPhone and iPod touch. They even updated iOS on the touch when they fixed the bars on the iPhone during "Antennagate." Only the iPad waits for updates.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I live in Portland, Oregon and overall I have been fairly happy with my iPhone on AT&T. But If the Verizon iPhone comes with free tethering...... that would be very enticing. I already pay for internet in my house & on my phone. Don't make me pay a third time for the convenience of occasionally using the cellular connection I already paid for on my tablet or laptop.

Heck, I would even be happy with a reasonable monthly cap on data for devices connected to my phone. 1GB for free then charge after that. Let's hope healthy competition can improve plans for everyone.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post

If I had to speculate, I'd say it comes out January 18th to coincide with the release of: "The Daily".

I don't think it will be out before the Verizon iPhone. In all likelihood, Apple will even give them some time to have it to themselves. I could see Verizon providing the iPhone with iOS 4.2.5 on Feb 10th, then either provide 4.3 with wifi tethering to all phones a couple weeks/a month later or just wait to include it in iOS 5.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    I pay for 2GB of data. let me use it how I want, ATT!!!! Give me tethering!!!!

Also, let me use FaceTime over 3G! Skype is great for this, but let's remove all governers and open this baby up!!!
  • Reply 7 of 30
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Yeah but it won't be free..
  • Reply 8 of 30
    eh270eh270 Posts: 60member
    AT&T will enable it but still require a tethering plan, there's really no difference to them, it's just a function of how the device(s) connect. The only issue I can see is that people may start canceling their iPad data plans, but remember you'd have to pay an extra $20 to add tethering if you didn't already have it.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Yeah but it won't be free..

Most likely this is correct, but if you have to pay an extra fee it isn't really tethering. Your just getting a discount on the second device.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    This is great, it's getting hot in here. Its like pitting divorced parents against each other for the best gifts.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    We will know ahead of time when iOS 4.3 or 4.2.5 is officially released since Apple usually gives developers a beta.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

I pay for 2GB of data. let me use it how I want, ATT!!!! Give me tethering!!!!

Also, let me use FaceTime over 3G! Skype is great for this, but let's remove all governers and open this baby up!!!

Right...I am all for the competition and the mobile hot spots and stuff. But I never heard if Verizon is going to allow their customers to FaceTime over 3G compared to AT&T? Any news on that? Just curious!?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Couldn't use it anyway

• Reply 14 of 30
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    I'll wait for the hidden flashlight app that does this for $1.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sethp268 View Post

Right...I am all for the competition and the mobile hot spots and stuff. But I never heard if Verizon is going to allow their customers to FaceTime over 3G compared to AT&T? Any news on that? Just curious!?

I have no idea if Verizon will let video chat over 3G happen. All I know is the new Skype app allows it on ATT. So it's obviously possible. It would be nice if FaceTime could too. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    AT&T:"Over my dead body!"

...Or better:

"Fine, but it'll cost you an extra XX usd/month"

I do hope Softbank allows this, though...
  • Reply 17 of 30
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Frankly, I don't see why AT&T wouldn't offer it. It already offers $20 tethering option for one computing device (excluding iPad) that piggybacks off of $25 2GB plan.

Letting 5 devices wouldn't make that much of a difference as they would still be sharing 2 GB bandwidth (and $10/additional 1GB).

Verizon's current hotspot plan actually costs $4.99 more than AT&T, as it requires $29.99 unlimited data plan and $20 hotspot feature (2GB data cap, not unlimited) and $20/additional 2GB.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Jailbreak you iPhone and use myfi to make your phone a mobile hotspot. 1 time $20 fee for the app and your done. Everything needed is already in your phone, it just needs to be freed.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    I have a big problem with "tethering" option fees. ATT is simply raping its customers. iPhone users pay for a data plan. You pay for a certain amount of data per month. What is the difference if you use this data on your iPhone or use it on a tethered computer? It's still the same amount of data you purchased. The tethering option fee is simply paying twice for the same data. This is totally unfair to the customer. I have no moral problem whatsoever with jailbreaking and using MyWi. I refuse to be cheated any more than possible by ATT. It's great that Verizon is getting the iPhone. It would be even better if T-Mobile would get it, too. Competition is good for the consumer. ATT has had several years to take advantage of its iPhone customers. Now, we have a choice. ATT - Are you listening?
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I love my AT&T 3g Speed and service. I am NOT switching to VZW.

That said, what good is the hotspot when you are limited to 2GB a month?

You can allow your friends to mooch a few times a month maybe, but I see this as a Really fast way to use up 2GB and / or have overages.

I use around 700 to 900 MB a month, that doesn't leave a lot to hotspot out to others.

5 extra devices using web simultaneously will eat up that 1G thats left over in a hurry.