Verizon iPhone expected to cause Android-based competitors to embrace 4G

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 49
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yeah why would you even attempt to compare the abilities of a dual core desktop processor to an ARM SOC.



    ARM chips are built for extreme constraint in size and efficiency. Their is little need to worry about size or efficiency for desktop chips.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post


    I doubt that is the reason. But if so then ARM has a long way to go...



  • Reply 42 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    Yeah why would you even attempt to compare the abilities of a dual core desktop processor to an ARM SOC.



    ARM chips are built for extreme constraint in size and efficiency. Their is little need to worry about size or efficiency for desktop chips.



    The soon to be released tegra2 has as much GPU power as the xbox360.



    But it shouldn't take a dual core CPU just to download faster than 29KBps. That really isn't a CPU intensive task. If you can with the chipset on a mp3 player write 5MB of data a second onto a phone via usb, why not even get remotely close on wifi?



    On second thought however, maybe if we tested w/o AES encryption...I'd like to see that and then draw a conclusion.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    sennensennen Posts: 1,465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post


    Oh no, the cat is out of the bag!



    This has totally blindsided Apple. Apple was expecting competitors to stick with 3G for at least 7 years, but it looks like the other side is trying to move on to the next big technology standard. Apple will now have to go back to the drawing board to stay competitive. (However, it looks like they'll be at least 2 years behind because they didn't except to ever happen.)



    Apple engineers hadn't even considered anything past 3G, but now with this news it looks like they will have to go back into the office and work on upgrading the iPhone. So much for those long vacations they were hoping on taking.



    what the heck are you smoking?
  • Reply 44 of 49
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    what the heck are you smoking?



    I think he forgot the <sarcasm> tag.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    Yeah why would you even attempt to compare the abilities of a dual core desktop processor to an ARM SOC.



    Because it changes the subject from demonstrable performance advantages on the iOS platform?
  • Reply 46 of 49
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,113member
    The 4G LTE map probably sucks for coverage. The phone would probably spend most of its time on 3G, wasting battery energy looking for a 4G network.



    Apple didn't want that with the first iPhone and they didn't want OT with the first verizon iPhone.



    It will sell millions as is. I can't wait to see comparisons of speed between the V and the AT&T phones in different markets.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So it looks like the iPhone 5 very well may have a HSPA+ 21Mb radio.



    Samsung Vibrant 4
  • Reply 48 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    So it looks like the iPhone 5 very well may have a HSPA+ 21Mb radio.



    Samsung Vibrant 4



    That?s killing Verizon?s LTE in every way.



    I wonder if the 21.1 Mbps (HSDPA Category 14) chips are as small and power efficient and as inexpensive as the 14.4Mbps (HSPDA Category 10) chips. With the current iPhone at 7.2Mbps (HSDPA Category 8) and HSDPA Cat 10 only becoming common at this month?s CES it may make more sense for Apple to support HSDPA Cat 10 this year and Cat 14 next year.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yeah this pretty much is AT&T's biggest advantage over Verizon's iPhone. 21Mb totally kills Verizon's LTE and Sprint's WiMAX



    AT&T has far more incentive than Apple to push for faster and more efficient HSDPA chips and deploy the faster network.



    I guess we shall see.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That?s killing Verizon?s LTE in every way.



    I wonder if the 21.1 Mbps (HSDPA Category 14) chips are as small and power efficient and as inexpensive as the 14.4Mbps (HSPDA Category 10) chips. With the current iPhone at 7.2Mbps (HSDPA Category 8) and HSDPA Cat 10 only becoming common at this month?s CES it may make more sense for Apple to support HSDPA Cat 10 this year and Cat 14 next year.



Sign In or Register to comment.