Apple will not allow Verizon to preload software on iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

If you take that definition, all the rubbish that comes with a Windows PC cannot be crapware, because the original manufacturer, be it HP or whoever, shipped it that way.

As it happens, the last Dell I bought didn't have any of this, it was a vanilla install of Windows +Dell drivers. At least I don't recall it being so.

No, HP took the installed OS and apps and added additional crapware for which it receives payment from third party software vendors. This often takes the form of demo versions, trial versions and ads. Apple is doing nothing like that.

Really, some of you folks need to get a life. You don't actually have to spend time figuring out how every single posting on Apple Insider has a "it's actually Apple that sucks" angle.

The fact that the iPhone is going to be sold unmolested on the carrier most well known for stepping heavily on their handsets is actually pretty interesting in its own right. It suggests a lot about the relationship between Apple and Verizon, and who needs who.

But instead we're talking about the definition of "crapware" and how accurate the fucking Compass is. Jesus.
  • Reply 42 of 96
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

When did 'what's not good for one' become 'not good for many'? I was ripped when I bought my iPad and it didn't have the Weather app... I have since found a replacement, because I had to, but I rather liked it and still enjoy it on my iPod touch.

So what if I started jumping and screaming that the iPod app is crapware because it's pre-loaded and useless because I use a different app?

Seriously, you're all just fighting Apple hater trolls here.

Just because someone disagrees with one aspect of Apples product portfolio doesn't make them a troll. We can have civil disagreements on this board. We're not all yesmen... as far as I know...
  • Reply 43 of 96
    No Verizon junk on my new iPhone? I'm over the moon.
  • Reply 44 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And only one of them is still around. Because it was released just barely over a month ago. I give it another month of life.

The Nexus One used a unique, but failed business model--the phone is still fully supported.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

So, you're saying you're basically just a masochistic jerk and we should all ignore you, because you enjoy using a product that gives you something to complain about and love bitching about it on these message boards?

Good for you.

<ignore id="redbarchetta"/>

No, what I'm saying is that I bought an iPhone 3G when it came out, loved it because it was the best there was at the time, though now have grown tired of many of the phone's 'features' when compared to other mobile OSs. And I was just pointing out that the device isn't perfect for everyone, though that seems to have gotten your knickers all twisted up.

It's cool that you're ignoring me though; I mean, how dare someone keep up on Apple news, but wants to move past the iPhone. The nerve! At least I won't have to respond to your knee-jerk posts that are barely thought out.
  • Reply 45 of 96
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Too bad Apple also includes plenty of "crapware" (in this case, apps with limited functionality that you can't remove if you don't want/need them)

Stocks (I use eTrade Mobile Pro)

Compass (who gives a *&^%)

Weather (I use The Weather Channel)

I've got them all rounded up in a folder on my second page of apps.

Of those listed, you forgot the only app that truly is crapware: Address Book.

Totally useless considering it just mirrors your contacts in the Phone app.

If you jailbreak, you can use Poof or SBSettings to hide any app you want.
  • Reply 46 of 96
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I know what the definition is. I'm just saying that the apps are useless to me, I never use them, and they must be "hidden" in a folder as they have been replaced by me with more functional apps.

To me, the apps are "crap" that I don't need. I wish that I could get rid of them completely so that I didn't even have to look at them (you can do it easily if you jailbreak) for a cleaner page/app layout.

You already said it yourself - you can do it easily if you jailbreak.

I don't see the problem here, other than that jailbreaking isn't just an easy to flip switch in settings, you've actually got to do a tiny bit of work.

My iPhones have been jailbroken from within 30 minutes of me getting them. The Terminal app alone is too useful for me not to do it.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    No software from Verizon sounds good. If I want it I'll download it.
  • Reply 48 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

But the iPhone compass is totally inaccurate. Try pointing it straight north, and then turn it 180 degrees. No way will it read straight south.

Try it.

Are you sure you know how a compass works? You do know the needle always points North don't you?

Also are you holding it flat? Compass needs to be flat.

Just saying is all.
  • Reply 49 of 96
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

But the iPhone compass is totally inaccurate. Try pointing it straight north, and then turn it 180 degrees. No way will it read straight south.

Never used a compass, have you? A compass points north.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Apple will not "allow"? All we know is that it's not there. We don't know why.

The title may as well be "Apple payed Verizon to keep preloaded software off the iPhone" or "Apple gives Verizon exclusive access to iPhone 5 to keep preloaded software off the iPhone" as "Apple will not allow Verizon to preload software on iPhone" is just one possible scenario.

Verizon needs Apple far more that other way around.

Likely there was a bit of dealing but no way that Apple paid Verizon so Apple to keep Verizon software off the iPhone.
  • Reply 50 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Umm please tell me you are taking the mickey?

Address Book is where the Phone app gets it's information from. It mirrors NOTHING.

Nice try though.
  • Reply 51 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktula View Post

I do not believe the reason WiFi tethering not available on current iPhones is due to AT&T. Unlike Bluetooth/USB-tethering, which many iPhone carriers worldwide made available months before AT&T, WiFi tethering is not currently available for any iPhone carrier in the world, period.

Right.

There's nothing about AT&T that prevents you from doing it--you can do it, I believe, with a jailbreak. It's simply a question of using some private APIs for the wireless connectivity and then doing nothing more than what fw does.

It's probably just that AT&T's network would choke.

Does *any* phone let you do that on AT&T? I know you could do it with a wifi pc card and a router that takes one, but...
  • Reply 52 of 96
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    I was sure that the iPhone would be crippled by Verizon crapware and junk. Maybe I will consider it.

Every Verizon phone I've used has been crippled by Verizon and it would be nice to see a change, especially not having to be limited by vCast.
  • Reply 53 of 96
    Quote:

Try it.

If you are talking about turning the phone than you are correct. That is because the phone knows what way it is being held in your hand. If it is upside down it will know that and most likely the SW for the app is not written to perform in that orientation.
  • Reply 54 of 96
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

No, HP took the installed OS and apps and added additional crapware for which it receives payment from third party software vendors. This often takes the form of demo versions, trial versions and ads. Apple is doing nothing like that.

You are repositioning the argument. The OPs point mentioned none of that, but rather

Quote:

Sorry, but "crap ware" is an actual term that has an actual definition. It is not subjective. It is pre-installed software/features beyond what the original manufacturer or developer shipped with.

Microsoft isn't the manufacturer. HP/Dell/Toshiba is. And because, I am told, it is an actual term with an actual definition, crapware cannot meet the definition because it *is* supplied by the manufacturer. Of course, the rider "or developer" is added to cover the case you're all talking about.

No doubt, a lot of it is shit, but don't just make up definitions.

Quote:

Really, some of you folks need to get a life. You don't actually have to spend time figuring out how every single posting on Apple Insider has a "it's actually Apple that sucks" angle.

Whoa, hold the phone. Never said or implied anything of the sort.
  • Reply 55 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'll gladly take what you consider to be Apple "Crapware" any day over what the telco's place on phones.

Those three apps do come in handy and they are nowhere near obtrusive when compared to the competition.

I use the compass app quite often when teaching surface navigation on beaches and parks to students preparing to take underwater navigation. I train folks all the time using the app. It does the trick perfectly. It doesn't even click at first for some of my adult students that their iPhone has a compass with the necessary markings. Save's them a little $$ in purchasing a dedicated compass.

Me too
  • Reply 56 of 96
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Try it.

Perhaps if you turned with the phone, you might read it better.

That, or the other obvious thing it could be is that the earth's magnetic poles are shifting at just that moment you're doing it.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

It was my understanding back in the day that the address book icon was added at whatever OS release due to users wanting the ability to access contacts without having to go into the phone dialer. Having to do the extra tap sounds like a big deal but Apple is known for taking the extra step streamline and remove unnecessary steps.
  • Reply 58 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Apple will not "allow"? All we know is that it's not there. We don't know why.

The title may as well be "Apple payed Verizon to keep preloaded software off the iPhone" or "Apple gives Verizon exclusive access to iPhone 5 to keep preloaded software off the iPhone" as "Apple will not allow Verizon to preload software on iPhone" is just one possible scenario.

There are perhaps dozens of possibilities but I suspect that in the end Verizon "blinked" cause they wanted the iPhone.
  • Reply 59 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It also makes a big difference how you use your phone or device. If you are one of those that has 8 billion apps on the thing, then a few extra icons is no big deal. You might not even come across them only once a month. If, like me, you only have the apps that you want and are using, then five or six extra icons is a whole page worth of garbage that you have to look at every day when you don't even want it.

Or you could just drop them in a folder on the second page.
  • Reply 60 of 96
    How can Verizon's apps be crapware when they have been vetted and approved by Apple and are available from the App Store?