Non-exclusive Apple-Verizon deal could allow iPhone on Sprint, T-Mobile

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

if apple doesn't have a tmoble cdma phone

then cdma is defacto exclusive to VZ till they do

T-Mobile doesn't use CDMA, so according to you, it's exclusive to Verizon until the end of time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Why does the Verizon iPhone only have 27.1GB capacity (AT&T iPhone has 29.1GB)?

(see pics on article)

2GB can store quite a few songs/movies/apps. And if you get a 16GB phone, 2GB less is a big difference.

It's preloaded with example stuff for the purpose of demoing, just like every Apple Store iPhone.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Boooo!
  • Reply 63 of 92
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Hopefully that won't really happen. Part of the appeal of the iPhone was that it was exclusive, if every Jo shmo,ghetto dread head and hill Billy is able to get an iphone then you might as well just give them away. You shouldn't be able to get one if you cant even pass a credit check.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

Boooo!

Edit posts; don't double-post.

Quote:

Hopefully that won't really happen. Part of the appeal of the iPhone was that it was exclusive, if every Jo shmo,ghetto dread head and hill Billy is able to get an iphone then you might as well just give them away. You shouldn't be able to get one if you cant even pass a credit check.

Get over yourself, elitist.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Even Gucci, Tiffany and Cartier sells to anyone with the money. Stop trying to make Apple into an elite brand beyond their current premium status.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just what we need, FOUR iPhone models...

Why exactly would there be four different models? Verizon, Sprint, PCS, U.S. cellular, etc all use the same equipment for 3G..
  • Reply 67 of 92
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I'm pretty sure that T-Mobile USA would love to have the iPhone. Why wouldn't they? Their sister companies around the world have done well with it.

Unless Apple does like a mid-cycle update with HSPA+ support, T-Mobile could be the last to have it.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Unless Apple does like a mid-cycle update with HSPA+ support, T-Mobile could be the last to have it.

I am thinking that HSPA+ support comes in iPhone 5.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    T-Mo iPhone would be God-like. I enjoy t-mos coverage and prices, at least here in Chicago they are on par with ATT (which is much better here then NY or SF)
  • Reply 70 of 92
    Quote:

I agree with others - Sprint will move to LTE. In another thread, someone mentioned that they were already doing trials for a WiMax-to-LTE conversion.

Yes. Sprint/Clearwire is not stupid. They could start laying out their 4g network infrastructure on WiMax far ahead of LTE and then transition over once LTE became standardized. It's actually a pretty smart move on their parts, especially Sprint; it probably saved them. Generating that buzz and putting out a 4G phone that on some levels could go toe to toe with the iPhone and not get KO'd in the 1st round was a big deal for them. Their cheap plans kept people hanging around, but what started stabilizing their image was 4G and the HTC Evo 4G.

And for anyone wanting proof of these LTE tests, here's some explanations on the testing including a video demonstrating some of the outstanding download and upload speed results.

http://www.clear.com/blog/size-matters/

Again, WiMax was nothing more than a head start on a 4g infrastructure. It will either completely transition to LTE or coexist with LTE. I've read that WiMax may stay around as apparently it's better tech for supporting people with single-location cellular hot spots, as in a cellular hot spot in a home instead of a cable line into a modem. Not sure if that's still entirely true or if it'll really stick, but the bottom line is Clear and Sprint know full well that they'll be an LTE company sooner rather than later. WiMax will hang around at least for a couple years to support early-adopters, but LTE will be launched likely by next year if I had to guess.

And to be clear, the transition absolutely will not be at all equivalent to building an entirely new network. LTE will run on the current infrastructure. Some slight modifications will take place, but from what I've read, it's in many ways more of a software change than hardware. They knew this was coming and they planned ahead. Again, I say smart move on their part.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DTB View Post

Yes!

I'm waiting patiently at T-Mobile.

Oh YES!!! I'm salivating right now for T-Mobile to strike a deal next for the iphone 5
  • Reply 72 of 92
    More on Sprint modernizing their network and setting themselves up to deploy LTE. Note that this is in addition to their partnership with Clearwire which also will transition to LTE at some point.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ect/2010-12-06

I can't say it enough: Sprint will be an LTE company when it really matters, no doubt about it.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    Keeping my fingers crossed for U.S. Cellular.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dukemeiser View Post

Keeping my fingers crossed for U.S. Cellular.

As long as you're not holding your breath!
  • Reply 75 of 92
    Quote:

I think it will have quad-band support. Maybe have the hybrid radio (CDMA / UMTS / HSPA) for an all in one solution? Wasn't Qualcomm developing a chip of Apple for this purpose?

A chipset like that may see the light of day in iPad2 first...
  • Reply 76 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I think it will have quad-band support. Maybe have the hybrid radio (CDMA / UMTS / HSPA) for an all in one solution? Wasn't Qualcomm developing a chip of Apple for this purpose?

A chipset like that may see the light of day in iPad2 first...

I think if the iPad 2 has a Gobi chip then we can consider it for the iPhone 5, though I will likely think it?s unlikely. If the iPad doesn?t have an Gobi option then I say it?s not even on the table.

edit: Interesting article on how Apple gets out of paying Qualcomm 5% for each iPhone. Note that the licensing for CDMA is worse, which is why Qualcomm?s patents weren?t used in the 3GPP creation whenever possible.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Is a 3Mbps LTE network that covers a small portion of the country really anything to brag about?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

Hey, at least they have a 4G LTE network! They have theirs up before AT&T and Verizon!

• Reply 78 of 92
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The iPhone 4 does support the slower variant of HSPA+. There haven't been available the radios needed to support the fastest version of HSPA+. Its also not widely deployed nationwide

Quote:

• Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think if the iPad 2 has a Gobi chip then we can consider it for the iPhone 5, though I will likely think it?s unlikely. If the iPad doesn?t have an Gobi option then I say it?s not even on the table.

edit: Interesting article on how Apple gets out of paying Qualcomm 5% for each iPhone. Note that the licensing for CDMA is worse, which is why Qualcomm?s patents weren?t used in the 3GPP creation whenever possible.

Well the Verizon CFO was alluding iPad would be coming to Verizon sans MiFi. I cant see Apple making 2 versions of iPad, but then again they made 2 versions of the iPhone...

Maybe the reason Apple doesn't pay is due to Qualcomm developing the hybrid chip and selling it to Apple ???

Article is from 2009 on the hybrid chip...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ne.candidates/
  • Reply 80 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Well the Verizon CFO was alluding iPad would be coming to Verizon sans MiFi. I cant see Apple making 2 versions of iPad, but then again they made 2 versions of the iPhone...

Note that they already have two versions of the iPad, each in three capacities. To add a CDMA version would mean a total of 9 different iPads.

Quote:

Maybe the reason Apple doesn't pay is due to Qualcomm developing the hybrid chip and selling it to Apple ???

That is a different situation. And Qualcomm?s licensees already has these chips on the market as I?ve noted elsewhere. The question is will Apple go the Gobi route? Will a more expensive in component and licensing chip for the iPad?s mini-PCIe card be a better option than having two cards? We simply don?t know where the numbers will fall until we see what Apple releases.

Quote:

Article is from 2009 on the hybrid chip...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ne.candidates/

That idea has been floating around as long as the Verizon iPhone, but it just doesn?t seem practical. No smartphone on the market has ever used all the operating bands Apple would need for its iPhone, nor has any of these partially ?world mode? phones been as small as the iPhone. If the iPad 2 doesn?t have Gobi then I say it?s improbable that the iPhone 5 will offer this technology.