Verizon website downtime reminiscent of AT&T iPhone preorder troubles

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Whoa! Verizon better get cracking on bolstering those pre-order & activation servers if they want to be ready come February 3!
  • Reply 22 of 69
    mfagomfago Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

Neither does my Blueberry.

Yea, until I ate mine...
  • Reply 23 of 69
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I wonder why they don't take preorders sooner. If they started taking preorders this week, they would have a better indication of how many handsets they need at launch making it much less likely that there will be shortages.

What people still do not realise is how much massive demand is for the iPhone4 and iPad on their carriers of choice in their countries. iPhone and iPad could have easily sold four times as much globally if they could make and service that number.

The Verizon situation is (a) Verizon's taste of overwhelming demand and first introduction to failures in meeting that demand and (b) a replica of the situation faced by all major carriers around the world. Expect whatever preorder stock to be maxxed out fully, ie new walk-in Verizon customers will only really start to get their iPhone4s in March onwards, even then supply will be tight.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkKnot View Post

VZW is gonna feel the pain once the iPhone 4 hits their network. AT&T alleviated some of that by taking over all the Starbucks and McDonalds WiFi hotspots but I wonder if they'll freeze out VZW users from using those networks as payback?

Expect some great deals on refurbished iPhone 4 models returned to AT&T and Android units returned to VZW next month.

So you think people are willing to put up with AT&T but not Verizon? And you think the many Androids out there haven't already taxed Verizon's network, with NONE of the stories of a failing, faltering network like there have been about AT&T? And you think Starbucks and McDonalds hot spots have saved AT&T? Yeah. Sure.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Strong interest in the newly announced Verizon iPhone appears to have caused intermittent outages on the Verizon website Tuesday, resembling AT&T's iPhone 4 preorder woes from last year

Can't access iPhone section of apple store (as of 10 pm Eastern time). It has been like this most of the day.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Two things that I do know is that Verizon Executive Brian Higgins already said back in october that simultaneous voice and data would soon be available on Verizon anyway. And, if you've watched any of the internet speed test of the Verizon iPhone vs. the at&t iPhone, you'll see that the V.I.P. Beats the absolute socks off the at&t iphone in terms of speed! I'm not hatin on at&t, I'm just glad that people have more of a choice now. I will also be happy when Sprint and T-Mobile customers can buy one too, but as for me, I'm Verizon all day!

I can?t verify it but the demoed iPhones were probably all connected to a Verizon femotocell which not only assured connectivity with so many Verizon users in one small area and a possibility that the service in that building wasn?t great, but also allowed the initial demo to make it seem world?s ahead of AT&T with a close range device that connects directly to broadband for accessing data. It?s certainly good planning on their part.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can?t verify it but the demoed iPhones were probably all connected to a Verizon femotocell which not only assured connectivity with so many Verizon users in one small area and a possibility that the service in that building wasn?t great, but also allowed the initial demo to make it seem world?s ahead of AT&T with a close range device that connects directly to broadband for accessing data. It?s certainly good planning on their part.

And AT&T doesn't do this with their demo units?
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Well, in the words of the great John McLain: WELCOME TO THE PARTY PAL!!! Now let's see how that so called great network holds up on Activation Day.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

And AT&T doesn't do this with their demo units?

1) No, AT&T was not onsite with their MicroCell at Verizon’s event so the two iPhone types could be fairly compared.

2) I wasn’t even aware that AT&T’s in-store demo units had wireless capabilities set up. If so, it would be smart of them to do so in areas where the service in the store is poor, but these devices are limited in the number of units they support. Usually 4 or 5 max, so that would mean a lot of these devices to support all the phones in a single store.

3) Again, this was a Verizon event with a handful of iPhone demo units that people would then compare to the regular AT&T network. It’s probably not a real world comparison.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Thank You for saying that! Finally somebody that gets it! What people have to understand is that us Verizon faithfuls who have remained on Verizon for years in hopes of one day having an iPhone, have not ever had simultaneous voice and data on Verizon so it doesn't matter to us. This is not a deal breaker and you are not making us feel bad by beating a dead horse, so just let it rest!

Two things that I do know is that Verizon Executive Brian Higgins already said back in october that simultaneous voice and data would soon be available on Verizon anyway. And, if you've watched any of the internet speed test of the Verizon iPhone vs. the at&t iPhone, you'll see that the V.I.P. Beats the absolute socks off the at&t iphone in terms of speed! I'm not hatin on at&t, I'm just glad that people have more of a choice now. I will also be happy when Sprint and T-Mobile customers can buy one too, but as for me, I'm Verizon all day!

Trust me, one day this comment will bite you in the ass. You will definitely miss the feature on the iPhone. Same way people will one day be pissed they only bought the wifi iPad and can't access something when they need it most. The time will come.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Can't access iPhone section of apple store (as of 10 pm Eastern time). It has been like this most of the day.

Weird, I tested this several times from here in Florida and never had an issue. But then we are the only state without snow I just read.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

What this doesn't discuss is that on Verizon, the iPhone cannot use both the phone and data at the same time. So if you and 4 friends are using wifi and a call comes in, everybody gets dropped.

Epic fail, IMO.

Calls can be refused. Not really an issue.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    "Welcome to the party, pal."
  • Reply 34 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Calls can be refused. Not really an issue.

ignore the troll
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Weird, I tested this several times from here in Florida and never had an issue. But then we are the only state without snow I just read.

Wrong.

Hawaii has no snow.

But thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

What this doesn't discuss is that on Verizon, the iPhone cannot use both the phone and data at the same time. So if you and 4 friends are using wifi and a call comes in, everybody gets dropped.

Epic fail, IMO.

One of the reason why the ability to use voice and data at the same time was not an issue is because current VZ customers using either Android/RIM/Windows phones don?t see that as the biggest issue. Beside, how often do we find ourselves using that feature? That certainly is not going to discourage current & potential customers.

People will always find some they like and dislike about a product. There is no perfect product out there. Expect Apple extend the iPhone to the other U.S carriers. They?re already doing that with the iPad.

• Reply 37 of 69
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I wonder why they don't take preorders sooner. If they started taking preorders this week, they would have a better indication of how many handsets they need at launch making it much less likely that there will be shortages.

They will sell all they have available regardless of when they start taking orders.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! I was expecting this once the ordering begins as transaction servers are complex the way they create handshakes and sexchange data compared to a basic web server. If they are having trouble with page views then Feb 3rd could be pretty rough for them. I hope they have their activation server situation figured out.

I didn't know that was part of a commercial transaction.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I'll be sitting back eating popcorn waiting for all the Verizon fanboys that were flaming AT&T due to the server outage issues each time a new iPhone came out. Looks like what goes around, comes around.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    I'd like to address the "dead horse" issue of the Verizon iPhone not being able to do simultaneous voice & data, and the fear some users are bringing up that phone calls will interrupt data connections.

First, almost any modern smartphone does have the ability to simultaneous voice and data, by getting your data from a WiFi connection, or via 4G (at least on Sprint/WiMax). Some might consider these methods a kludge, but they do accomplish the task.

Having said that, I've used this ability maybe 3 times in over 3 years, and have found that it is not a deal breaker for me. For some, it may be. If that's the case, then the Verizon iPhone isn't for you. In the words of Steve Jobs, "No big deal."

Also, at least for Windows Mobile smartphones (I haven't tried with other smartphones), there is an option, buried in the phone settings, called "DDTM Mode", with the choice of being on or off. It defaults to off. If it's set to on, all incoming calls will go directly to voicemail if the EVDO/3G connection is active, and not disturb the data connection. Also, if you set the phone to only use the 1X data network (CDMA's equivalent of EDGE, aka 2G), it has the same effect.

Also, if you have a Google Voice number, and have Gmail open in a browser tab, and you are signed into Google chat (even if you are Invisible in your status), you can place and receive calls from Gmail. (Incoming calls will show up in Gmail, complete with a ringtone and caller ID.) This might be a good solution for some to still keep phone functionality while the iPhone is providing a PC's Internet connection.