Apple will not allow Verizon to preload software on iPhone

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    You told you that? My carrier allows it in Canada. It is not available for any carrier yet, including Verizon, because Apple has not released the support for it yet in iOS. Just like Bluetooth/USB tethering wasn't available for iPhones until Apple released it, regardless of carrier.



    This article was talking about iPhone and iPhone ONLY. And that is what i was referring to.
  • Reply 62 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Now, if you ask, why have they not released it yet (and why didn't the include USB/BT tethering in earlier versions) it does seem that is at AT&T's request. But, just like Apple included USB/BT tethering eventually and allowed carriers to enable it or disable per account, they can do the same for wifi tethering. Many carriers allow it.



    If other iPhone carriers have made WiFi tethering feature available on iPhones, and AT&T has not, then you can legitimately argue that iPhone users do not have it in the U.S. because of AT&T. But since no other iPhone (GSM) carriers have it now, your argument does not hold water.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stormj View Post


    There's nothing about AT&T that prevents you from doing it--you can do it, I believe, with a jailbreak. It's simply a question of using some private APIs for the wireless connectivity and then doing nothing more than what fw does.



    If you have a jailbroken iPhone, WiFi tethering is already available to you via an app called MyWi.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post


    How can Verizon's apps be crapware when they have been vetted and approved by Apple and are available from the App Store?



    You are correct - they are not pre-installed on the iPhone and are available in the App Store. Most of Verizon's other phones have these applications pre-installed - hence, crapware.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post


    You are correct - they are not pre-installed on the iPhone and are available in the App Store. Most of Verizon's other phones have these applications pre-installed - hence, crapware.



    So let's call them what they are - preinstalled apps. Not crapware. Otherwise, as a previous poster mentioned, the iPhone apps I can't uninstall should also be called crapwhere by the definition you are using here.
  • Reply 66 of 96
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Props to apple for not caving in on this issue.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post


    You are repositioning the argument. The OPs point mentioned none of that, but rather



    Microsoft isn't the manufacturer. HP/Dell/Toshiba is. And because, I am told, it is an actual term with an actual definition, crapware cannot meet the definition because it *is* supplied by the manufacturer. Of course, the rider "or developer" is added to cover the case you're all talking about.



    No doubt, a lot of it is shit, but don't just make up definitions.



    I can't speak to any other poster's idea about what constitutes crapware. What I posted is what it is commonly understood to be. It would be difficult for Apple to meet this definition, since they provide both the software and hardware, and the term came into use during a period when most computers had software by MS and hardware by whoever.



    Quote:

    Whoa, hold the phone. Never said or implied anything of the sort.



    Didn't actually mean to single you out, just appended my general remarks to my response to your post.



    Still, I don't actually don't see the point, in a thread about how Apple managed to avoid having the iPhone loaded up with Verizon apps and branding, it's so essential to figure out whether or not Apple puts its own "crapware" on the iPhone. Even if you think that's the case it pretty much misses the point.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    I always use my iPhone for underwater navigation!!!
  • Reply 69 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post


    So let's call them what they are - preinstalled apps. Not crapware. Otherwise, as a previous poster mentioned, the iPhone apps I can't uninstall should also be called crapwhere by the definition you are using here.



    Slightly different.



    Verizon delivers the iPhone to customers as it comes from the manufacturer. Verizon adds these programs to the phones from the other manufacturers.



    But, sure, anything you don't want or need could be considered "crap".
  • Reply 70 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    Too bad Apple also includes plenty of "crapware" (in this case, apps with limited functionality that you can't remove if you don't want/need them)



    Stocks (I use eTrade Mobile Pro)

    Compass (who gives a *&^%)

    Weather (I use The Weather Channel)



    I've got them all rounded up in a folder on my second page of apps.



    I had no use for the Compass app till I moved to Las Vegas. Now when I'm in the hotels and I want to go north, the compass helps me stay on the straight and narrow path.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post




    With WiFi tethering now suddenly supported in the new version of iOS running on the Verizon phone, it appears that the new feature wasn't held up by technical reasons at Apple, but rather simply because AT&T didn't have a network capable of supporting it.



    I know this is available on Android powered phones from Verizon, but doesn't Verizon charge extra for that service?
  • Reply 72 of 96
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post


    Actually you missed the OEM part of that explanation. Apple does not buy its hardware from an OEM, Apple makes the hardware.



    You are misreading the sentence. It refers to a computer bought by a consumer from an OEM. Apple is an OEM.
  • Reply 73 of 96
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I did. It did. Next.



    I also did, and it also did.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    I think this is appropriate.



    When you buy the top of the line world smart phone you want to be treated differently then the common people who settle for a Droid or a feature phone.



    The fact there is never any crap ware on Apple products helps make them different and more desirable than the lesser tech products you can buy.
  • Reply 75 of 96
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Here's the bottom line on the crapware argument: The user should have 100% control over what apps are installed on their phone. Right now, that's just a dream. Even Apple and Google phones have apps you can't delete. And that needs to change.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    I don't think it's appropriate to call parts of the iOS "crapware" regardless of how much you use or don't use that part of the OS. Certainly we are talking about two entirely different concepts.



    Of course you may not like the bundle you get when you buy an iphone, but you can atleast be assured that what you are getting is 100% pure Apple.



    Its a pretty pathetic argument to compare the iphones built in "contact" app to verizon making a deal with a game company to force a demo game on every phone that obtrusively tries to trick users into accidentally purchasing it. Particularly when Verizon certainly is compensated for doing so.
  • Reply 77 of 96
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hatunike View Post


    I don't think it's appropriate to call parts of the iOS "crapware" regardless of how much you use or don't use that part of the OS. Certainly we are talking about two entirely different concepts.



    Of course you may not like the bundle you get when you buy an iphone, but you can atleast be assured that what you are getting is 100% pure Apple.



    Its a pretty pathetic argument to compare the iphones built in "contact" app to verizon making a deal with a game company to force a demo game on every phone that obtrusively tries to trick users into accidentally purchasing it. Particularly when Verizon certainly is compensated for doing so.



    This. I can hardly believe how far into the weeds this thread has wandered. People are reduced, as you say, to claiming a compass or contact app are the equivalent to ads and paid demo placements, because they don't like or use either.



    I don't like viruses and they arrive without permission, I guess that makes any preinstalled app I don't use a virus. THEY ARE JUST THE SAME.
  • Reply 78 of 96
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    The two posters above are absolutely right. Apple loads it's own crapware and it *is* crapware by definition. It's unwanted, it's *not* useful, and you cannot remove it.



    I think you all 3 little diamonds are clueless about the term.
  • Reply 79 of 96
    crowleycrowley Posts: 6,046member
    If use of the term crapware applies to usefullness and usefulness is subjective then logically the only apps the iPhone should come with are Settings and App Store. No?
  • Reply 80 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    ...

    To me, the apps are "crap" that I don't need. I wish that I could get rid of them completely so that I didn't even have to look at them (you can do it easily if you jailbreak) for a cleaner page/app layout.





    Without need for jb:



    put them in a 10th home screen, using itunes, and you'll never see them again on your phone.
Sign In or Register to comment.