Verizon website downtime reminiscent of AT&T iPhone preorder troubles

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

They will sell all they have available regardless of when they start taking orders.

Correct.

Also, China will shut down in early February for the lunar new year. No iPhones rolling off the manufacturing lines for a couple of weeks.

My guess is that there will be a supply outage for a while, shortly after the launch.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

What this doesn't discuss is that on Verizon, the iPhone cannot use both the phone and data at the same time. So if you and 4 friends are using wifi and a call comes in, everybody gets dropped.

Epic fail, IMO.

Are you simply going to post this same whiny statement on every Verizon iPhone related story? This is not news. This was known years ago when you were probably one of those fools claiming that Verizon would never get an iPhone. Give your one-trick pony a rest already. Please!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Well, that doesn't give you a warm fuzzy when we are already seeing issues at preorder. I thought VZ had all of this time to make sure there would be no hickups?

Completely different situations. Preparing their cellular network for the continuous onslaught of high usage should be built out for. But why spend a ton of money to address what was a one-day (actually only a couple of hours) of spike in usage? That would just be a waste of money. Rather then spend money to beef up their web-site for a one-time event, I'd rather they put their money in their cell network where it will do some good on a continual basis.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What people still do not realise is how much massive demand is for the iPhone4 and iPad on their carriers of choice in their countries. iPhone and iPad could have easily sold four times as much globally if they could make and service that number.

The Verizon situation is (a) Verizon's taste of overwhelming demand and first introduction to failures in meeting that demand and (b) a replica of the situation faced by all major carriers around the world. Expect whatever preorder stock to be maxxed out fully, ie new walk-in Verizon customers will only really start to get their iPhone4s in March onwards, even then supply will be tight.

You're sooo right! I would love to get it, but Apple can't keep enough in stock for it's current suppliers, even giving preference to 'our' USA Apple stores. If I get placed on a waiting list, I'll cancel it and wait for iPhone 5.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) No, AT&T was not onsite with their MicroCell at Verizon’s event so the two iPhone types could be fairly compared.

2) I wasn’t even aware that AT&T’s in-store demo units had wireless capabilities set up. If so, it would be smart of them to do so in areas where the service in the store is poor, but these devices are limited in the number of units they support. Usually 4 or 5 max, so that would mean a lot of these devices to support all the phones in a single store.

3) Again, this was a Verizon event with a handful of iPhone demo units that people would then compare to the regular AT&T network. It’s probably not a real world comparison.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that AT&T in store iphone demos DO NOT use a MicroCell, Femtocell, etc.. They are activated and also connect to a wireless AP in the store.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Are you simply going to post this same whiny statement on every Verizon iPhone related story? This is not news. This was known years ago when you were probably one of those fools claiming that Verizon would never get an iPhone. Give your one-trick pony a rest already. Please!

Completely different situations. Preparing their cellular network for the continuous onslaught of high usage should be built out for. But why spend a ton of money to address what was a one-day (actually only a couple of hours) of spike in usage? That would just be a waste of money. Rather then spend money to beef up their web-site for a one-time event, I'd rather they put their money in their cell network where it will do some good on a continual basis.

So then there is absolutely no basis for complaining about any activation day issues on AT&Ts website then. Sounds like we are just already making excuses. It's okay is we don't have voice and data at the same time. It's okay if VZ's website is already showing issues on announcement day. Mind you, I could care less, but these are topics they you guys went on and on and on about when it was AT&T.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can?t verify it but the demoed iPhones were probably all connected to a Verizon femotocell which not only assured connectivity with so many Verizon users in one small area and a possibility that the service in that building wasn?t great, but also allowed the initial demo to make it seem world?s ahead of AT&T with a close range device that connects directly to broadband for accessing data. It?s certainly good planning on their part.

Great posts! I like reading educated information.

So you mean they planned so they wouldn't get... "Every one please turn off your WiFi. I won't be able to show you the demo, if you don't turn off your WiFi..."

I think Apple, and the entire Tech world learned something from that presentation....
  • Reply 47 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Wrong.

Hawaii has no snow.

But thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Umm...

http://www.govisithawaii.com/2010/12...now-in-hawaii/

It's called Google, dumbass. You should try it sometime.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Trust me, one day this comment will bite you in the ass. You will definitely miss the feature on the iPhone. Same way people will one day be pissed they only bought the wifi iPad and can't access something when they need it most. The time will come.

I have the 64Gig WiFi only and have never had a problem. Everywhere I go has WiFi... Then again, I live in New England. We're pretty densely packed around here. Oh, and I use it probably at least 12 hours a day. I also agree with the people that it has some lag. Especially with PDF files, but that's just me.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

Also, China will shut down in early February for the lunar new year. No iPhones rolling off the manufacturing lines for a couple of weeks.

My guess is that there will be a supply outage for a while, shortly after the launch.

So what you're saying is that there's no supply shortage now????
  • Reply 50 of 69
    Wow, Verizons host / web server has problems with a high volume of traffic and that means their completely unrelated wireless network can't handle iPhone traffic? I thought this was Appleinsider not AT&Tinsider, seems to be a lot of smug posting over nothing.

Did AT&T get good service somewhere I'm not aware of? I just spent 2 hours with 3 bars and .05kbs web access at the FD and can't find a reason to give them any credit.

The highlight of my night was a fellow brother loading YouTube videos on his droid x a few feet away. Fail
  • Reply 51 of 69
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

So then there is absolutely no basis for complaining about any activation day issues on AT&Ts website then. Sounds like we are just already making excuses. It's okay is we don't have voice and data at the same time. It's okay if VZ's website is already showing issues on announcement day. Mind you, I could care less, but these are topics they you guys went on and on and on about when it was AT&T.

Fair enough, although I never personally made any remarks about ATT's activation issues...until now... If I recall correctly, those problems lasted days and had a serious impact on users because their old phones were deactivated and they were left without phone service until their iPhone activations were processed. That's HUGE!

And you are comparing that to having to come back to a web page 10 minutes later and clicking refresh to view a page of information that you can't act on for two weeks anyway? Pretty small potatoes if you ask me.

In either case, Verizon's web site outages today or ATT's activation issues, it's pretty stupid to take either event as any sort of indicator of how their phone networks will perform. Any company can be caught off guard by transient events (recall Apple's MobileMe fiasco). Sh*t happens. It's how they perform on a day-to-day basis that matters more.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Quote:

n either case, Verizon's web site outages today or ATT's activation issues, it's pretty stupid to take either event as any sort of indicator of how their phone networks will perform. Any company can be caught off guard by transient events (recall Apple's MobileMe fiasco). Sh*t happens. It's how they perform on a day-to-day basis that matters more.

I take today's outages as reflecting great interest in the Verizon iPhone - nothing more or less. Makes me happy as an Apple shareholder.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    The Wizard of Verizon knows all, is impot...err Omnipotent! Wait, pay no attention to that tech rep behind the curtain...
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

What this doesn't discuss is that on Verizon, the iPhone cannot use both the phone and data at the same time. So if you and 4 friends are using wifi and a call comes in, everybody gets dropped.

Epic fail, IMO.

What the hell does WiFi have to do with CDMA or cell service? Do you actually read what you write before posting it? You can WiFi and call somebody all you want.

Please just stop.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:

Fair enough, although I never personally made any remarks about ATT's activation issues...until now... If I recall correctly, those problems lasted days and had a serious impact on users because their old phones were deactivated and they were left without phone service until their iPhone activations were processed. That's HUGE!

And you are comparing that to having to come back to a web page 10 minutes later and clicking refresh to view a page of information that you can't act on for two weeks anyway? Pretty small potatoes if you ask me.

In either case, Verizon's web site outages today or ATT's activation issues, it's pretty stupid to take either event as any sort of indicator of how their phone networks will perform. Any company can be caught off guard by transient events (recall Apple's MobileMe fiasco). Sh*t happens. It's how they perform on a day-to-day basis that matters more.

You guys are aware that the issues were primarily an inability to get a response from Apples servers right?

In the first paragraph you spoke of activation issues. I have to point out the obvious that AT&T does not activate iPhones. Apple does. I believe that at the time it was required to activate the device in store. All that meant was iTunes was opened in activation mode and the device activated much like a customer COULD HAVE DONE at home as long as Apples servers were responding. Even today AT&T prefers to have devices activated before the customer leaves so they can make sure they are working. However, worst case the customer can just go home open iTunes, attach the device and activate it. I would prefer customers activate at home because that cuts the BS of blaming AT&T for issues that have nothing to do with AT&T's environment. What's funny is if the customer does go home to activate and cannot via iTunes it is still AT&T fault that the Apple server was inaccessible.

Thanks for taking the 'stupid' out, that did not come across well.

It is just hilarious that if this were AT&T everyone would jump on the bus and would be all over AT&T talking sh*t. But no, this is Verizon they are different. Pfft.

In the end we will see as time will tell. But.. if Verizon has issues I will be voicing my opinion.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Doesn't look as though Verizon is as prepared as they talk.

Is Verizons network ready for all the additional traffic????????????DOUBTFULL

I think it's wonderful how stuck we are in our little worlds. I'm not sure what we perceive to be epic usage on iPhone side really is true. Verizon has been sustaining Android users for a while now. I'm sure they're used to it.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...double.iphone/
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ciaran00 View Post

I think it's wonderful how stuck we are in our little worlds. I'm not sure what we perceive to be epic usage on iPhone side really is true. Verizon has been sustaining Android users for a while now. I'm sure they're used to it.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...double.iphone/

Just like the world that Verizon is better and Apple can do no wrong

Don't see the point, AT&T has been supporting Android, iPhone and other data users.

Verizon simple supporting Android data users doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

So you think people are willing to put up with AT&T but not Verizon?

Thought they didn't have to put up with anything on "V"! They are the ONE!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

And you think the many Androids out there haven't already taxed Verizon's network,

Yeah! That's what he was thinking! But we will see how things pan out when Big V has ten times as many iPhone users to Android users on their network. On a side note, I wonder now that exclusivity is gone from ATT and they are courting more phones Android, MS... Will those brands ever have 10:1 ratio over the iPhone. That wasn't a question!

"There are far more iPhone users on AT&T than there are Android users on Verizon, perhaps 10 times as many."

On another side note to Verizon and their "There's a map for that!" commercials... Can only say regarding server troubles, "There's a Mac for that!"

Oh wait, no there's not...
  • Reply 59 of 69
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

You sound just like another nagging spouse or a spoiled brat.

In what world do you, or anyone else, live in that entitlement is a God-given right?
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I wonder why they don't take preorders sooner. If they started taking preorders this week, they would have a better indication of how many handsets they need at launch making it much less likely that there will be shortages.

There will be shortages no matter what.