Worst flooding in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia in decades

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
http://twitpic.com/3p77r7

A street where I used to live 10-15 years ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    And it's about to get worse today and tomorrow! Guess what though, the apartment property my parents bought in 1994, on this street, kind of a townhouse as it is called, was sold in 2007. Just in time before the 2008-2009 global financial crisis and now, the 2011 floods. This property represented at least a third of my parents' retirement savings.

I only hope some others would be so lucky, my sympathies to all that have suffered (or will suffer) from the Queensland floods.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Watching the news, this one is massive. Cars are being flung around like toys and from what I am seeing the destruction is far from over.

This is bad. Real bad.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    This is a litmus test for governance. I hope they don't fuck up like the US did with Katrina.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

This is a litmus test for governance. I hope they don't fuck up like the US did with Katrina.

They're doing a reasonable job, the best they can, from what I'm reading and watching on the web.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Not everything is like Katrina. Actually the floods are an hour away. Government has done a good job so far and unlike Katrina the community is as one. There is not such a big gap between rich and poor here and we look after our own. Australians and queenslanders should be proud of how they responded. Actually we are a much more cohesive society
  • Reply 6 of 7
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

And it's about to get worse today and tomorrow! Guess what though, the apartment property my parents bought in 1994, on this street, kind of a townhouse as it is called, was sold in 2007. Just in time before the 2008-2009 global financial crisis and now, the 2011 floods. This property represented at least a third of my parents' retirement savings.

I only hope some others would be so lucky, my sympathies to all that have suffered (or will suffer) from the Queensland floods.

Nvidia ur an aussie?! Mate I hope ur folks place and they are ok we missed a bullet here an hour away from brissie but lots of our friends are now homeless not cool
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celco View Post

Nvidia ur an aussie?! Mate I hope ur folks place and they are ok we missed a bullet here an hour away from brissie but lots of our friends are now homeless not cool

Nope... not an Aussie, my parents and I are back here in Malaysia now, we sold the St Lucia property a few years ago. I was in Brisbane 1995-1998 doing Year 12 and my first three years of uni. I do miss Australia though, I've lived in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.

All the best to you all in Qld. The next several months are going to be tough.