Verizon to push Apple's iPhone with major 'marketing muscle' - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

...Numbers is a complete embarrassment of a spreadsheet for power users.

And who says its meant for (self described) 'power users'?

Not everyone needs a Mack Truck. In fact, its the Mack that's useless for normal drivers.

The more I think about it, Steve's truck vs car analogy was truly insightful.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Been waiting on this one for a while.

I will be one of those android to iPhone switchers. There are certain things that I will miss about the Android platform (some of the customization, the notifications system, and Swype) but I believe the benefits of the iPhone far outweigh those few things.

My upgrade is in October, so I'm forced (in a good and bad way) to wait and see if there is an incremental hardware upgrade in June/July. If there isn't then I'll be faced with the question of whether or not I should just wait until that next February for the next release.

I can see iPhone 4 becoming the $99 version on both networks, and the newest hardware update becoming the $199 version. I feel like that lines up with how things look currently with AT&T. It seems to me that Apple likes having two different hardware versions at a time.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    With the Verizon iPhone coming out Feb 10th. I forsee a lot of Valentines ads.

"Nothing says I love you and commitment like a shared minutes plan and iPhone from the most reliable network"
  • Reply 24 of 61
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Verizon has been the driving force behind Android adoption in the US. That's over. Does anyone seriously think Android growth won't take a serious hit in 2011? I honestly can't see how this isn't going to be total carnage for Motorola, HTC, et al.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:

... As much as I love Keynote and Pages, Numbers is a complete embarrassment of a spreadsheet for power users. As long as that continues, guys like me are going to have to run Microsoft Office instead of, or in addition to, iWork. ...

This is obviously subjective though and depends on the person's needs. The average Jane or Joe doesn't need any of Excel's "power features" at all. Numbers is perfect for me and I use it a lot more now there is an iPad version. Making a quick table or running some simple numbers is a lot easier that way than loading up Excel on the big computer.

On the other hand while you like Pages .... as a writer I find it almost useless in many situations. It's UI metaphor is inflexible, it takes away almost all control over styles, style sheets, page sizes etc. and is missing some basic options that one expects from using other programs.

The iPad version is particularly horrible and not even feature-complete relative to the desktop version (after two revisions!). Pages seems primarily aimed at the market for producing "lost cat" flyers and birthday invitations and has a very long way to go before it's a serious writing tool (assuming that's even the goal).
  • Reply 26 of 61
    I've had Verizon for over 10 years, and where I am they have almost 100% of thr business. For years I have heard their Reps bash the iphone, saying that they would not want it because it's too closed, too quirky, bad antenna, etc. They seem surprised when I tell them that it is rumored that Verizon was offered the iphone first but refused the conditions, etc....

Now what a paradigm shift!

I've waited for the iphone. I plan on having one within the next 6 months or so. But I'm actually thinking I might switch to ATT. I'll be moving down south soon, and my verizon phone does not seem to work all that great down there, and guys that have an iphone now down there say it works fine with ATT. With the family plan I can pick family and friends who still have verizon for few calling, and they have rollover minutes. They also offer a better discount being a Gov't employee.

For me, this competition is good. I think I will wait until the dust settles, and then I really have to do some comparing...perhaps if I wait long enough I may get to buy an iphone5.....

Frank
  • Reply 27 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The WiFi tethering feature alone could be two or three different ads. Man, if you thought the "map" ads were rough... This is going to be a real donnybrook!

I agree that the next series of wireless ads is going to drive the iPhone mind share much more than it is going to help either Verizon or AT&T. Android phones will be probably be the real loser in this advertising brawl, at least in the short term.

New word for the day: donnybrook.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

No- I only see Apple working with whomever trying to keep Adobe Flash off the web.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

"Cruel"? "Hard" - are you joking then?

iLiver, who is hopefully still ignoring me, is not in particularly good trolling form today. Very weak efforts.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChronoFlare View Post

... My upgrade is in October, so I'm forced (in a good and bad way) to wait and see if there is an incremental hardware upgrade in June/July. If there isn't then I'll be faced with the question of whether or not I should just wait until that next February for the next release. ...

They will almost certainly end up on the same hardware (and, asap, software) upgrade schedule. It wouldn't make any sense for Apple to release IP5 for AT&T June/July and not release it for Verizon at the same time as it would definitely kill sales on Verizon once the new phone was actually announced. One would think they'd want to sync the international rollouts as close to the domestic as possible, too, since there must be an impact there once a new iPhone is announced.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

They will almost certainly end up on the same hardware (and, asap, software) upgrade schedule. It wouldn't make any sense for Apple to release IP5 for AT&T June/July and not release it for Verizon at the same time as it would definitely kill sales on Verizon once the new phone was actually announced. One would think they'd want to sync the international rollouts as close to the domestic as possible, too, since there must be an impact there once a new iPhone is announced.

I definitely agree. As I said, I'm definitely leaning toward believing that the current iPhone 4 will be the $99 model come June/July. Either way, by the time I can upgrade I'll know where things stand.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I?m not so sure getting the latest HW is as important to people here as it is in the ?real world?.

For example, the iPhone 4 is over a half a year old and it?ll sell like crazy on Verizon. Some will probably wait until wait until the Summer to see if the rollouts will match up, but most that want an IPhone on Verizon likely won?t wait.

Then there are the international rollouts. Last year, the iPhone 4 debuted in 5 countries with the rest coming slowly over about 4 months. Then there is the continuation of the previous year?s iPhone at a slightly reduced initial price. That in itself is proof that not everyone cares about the latest HW.

Finally, there is my anecdotal experience of selling my old iPhone to people at ridiculously high prices when the next iPhone was already announced and demoed.

That said, I think it?s possible the iPhone 5 CDMA will debut alongside the iPhone 5 GSM. Assuming these are made in different factories I think this would make the most sense. This might, however, limit the GSM model from rolling out faster than last year. 2010 it was 5 countries, and 2009 it was 17 countries. Could this year be less countries or is that new factory able to deal with the increased demand? Will we see countries and/or carriers that are CDMA-only being announced at the event?
  • Reply 32 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

One of the reasons that iWork, while excellent has been a bit of a flop.

Would you mind providing a link or analyst report that reviews sales of iWork that would substantiate your claim? Or is it that you just don't like iWork and that alone is enough to label it "a bit of a flop"? Otherwise your personal opinion is just that, and very useless.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    I woud expect Verizon to push the iphone as much as possible, considering they must have paid a large sum to get the phone on their network, they need to make it back and a decent profit to make it worth it.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m not so sure getting the latest HW is as important to people here as it is in the ?real world?.

For example, the iPhone 4 is over a half a year old and it?ll sell like crazy on Verizon. Some will probably wait until wait until the Summer to see if the rollouts will match up, but most that want an IPhone on Verizon likely won?t wait. ...

The difference is that the IP4 is what's on sale for AT&T right now, so it doesn't appear that Verizon users are being treated like second-class customers: a person buying an iPhone on AT&T or Verizon on February 11 is looking at essentially the same phone. (Nor does it appear that AT&T users are getting "old hardware".) It would simply not be a good business practice to put the GSM and CDMA phones on separate upgrade schedules. Also, since Apple seems to have as a priority that the CDMA and GSM phones utilize the same basic design/hardware, staggering the releases would effectively give other CDMA handset vendors a leg up on their latest designs, allowing them to copy iPhone features for months before it becomes available as a CDMA device.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Had to look that one up.

However, in the process I found this page, which might keep me busy awhile.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/
  • Reply 36 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkdis View Post

I woud expect Verizon to push the iphone as much as possible, considering they must have paid a large sum to get the phone on their network, they need to make it back and a decent profit to make it worth it.

I don't recall seeing iPhone ads produced by AT&T, only Apple's ads. I hope Verizon doesn't hype it in a non-Apple style. That silly swirl on the example image makes me wonder if the TV ads will have the typical Apple sophistication or the ridiculous Droid-like, over the top sensationalism.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    It will be interesting to see how Verizon dances around the 'crippling' they've done on the iPhone (no concurrent data/voice, slower network). But I suppose the same is already true for the Android devices they market today.

I just heard a telecommunications analyst on one of the cable news channels (FOX) warning Verizon that they need to seriously upgrade their network (beyond what it is today) if they are to avoid any problems.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

One of the reasons that iWork, while excellent has been a bit of a flop.

And you would know this ... how? I have read some of your previous posts, as painful as it was, and it shows me that you have a habit of posting vague, usually negative, things about Apple .... and state things as 'tho they were fact, when indeed, they are only your opinion .... which with every post you make, becomes more worthless every time.

If you know something factual ... about anything .... please provide appropriate link .... otherwise.... stfu!
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timop View Post

Carrier wars? yawn!

Marketing muscle? why bother, unless VZW finds a way to differentiate its features?

Given the well-reported costs of switching carriers, major new marketing is only justified if Verizon leads with a killer App, as in new mobile social must-have.

Think feature-rich, x-platform mobile IM/text client that lets users chat with friends everywhere, hold buddy group chats, send pictures, avoid text fees, and make new friends, with MeetMe(TM). And see the future, with Point-and-Chat(TM).

This sounds like a job for Social Messaging(TM).

Who is Tim Cook going to call?

PoKos!

You must be new here...?
  • Reply 40 of 61
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

You wouldn't know it by my posts, but I was raised by an English major.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

However, in the process I found this page, which might keep me busy awhile.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/

Awesome! Bookmarked for future reference!