Verizon website downtime reminiscent of AT&T iPhone preorder troubles

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Link to the independently certified speed tests please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMYd...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJref...eature=related at&t even with slight head start still gets waxed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBNwXhdJ7-E

Please don't try to come back and say that you need something more official. In all three test it's clear that Verizon's data is faster.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

You guys are aware that the issues were primarily an inability to get a response from Apples servers right?

In the first paragraph you spoke of activation issues. I have to point out the obvious that AT&T does not activate iPhones. Apple does. I believe that at the time it was required to activate the device in store. All that meant was iTunes was opened in activation mode and the device activated much like a customer COULD HAVE DONE at home as long as Apples servers were responding. Even today AT&T prefers to have devices activated before the customer leaves so they can make sure they are working. However, worst case the customer can just go home open iTunes, attach the device and activate it. I would prefer customers activate at home because that cuts the BS of blaming AT&T for issues that have nothing to do with AT&T's environment. What's funny is if the customer does go home to activate and cannot via iTunes it is still AT&T fault that the Apple server was inaccessible.

Thanks for taking the 'stupid' out, that did not come across well.

It is just hilarious that if this were AT&T everyone would jump on the bus and would be all over AT&T talking sh*t. But no, this is Verizon they are different. Pfft.

In the end we will see as time will tell. But.. if Verizon has issues I will be voicing my opinion.

I'm sorry but I have to tell you that you couldn't be any more wrong. At&t does activate phones. The reason that I know is because I was working at the apple store at the time of the iPhone 4 launch. There was two separate events surrounding the iphone 4. the first event was when the iPhone became available for pre-order, Apple's servers went down because of all the traffic. That didn't have anything to do with at&t. If I remember correctly, pre-order started on the 15th of june. The second event was nine days later on the actual launch day of the iPhone. The activation problems were not with Apple or iTunes, they were with our EazyPay devices not being able to access AT&T's servers because they were bogged down. That was causing different types of activation problems with people's accounts. iTunes doesn't have anything to with the actual activation process because by the time you are connecting the phones to it, they have been already activated through the EazyPay. All iTunes does is turn the phone on so that you can use it, just like when you buy an iPod or and iPad it must be connected to iTunes once before you can use it. The Second instance wasn't Apple's Fault, or IMO at&t's fault either. All it was was a TON of traffic at one time.

I'll go ahead and say it now just to put it out there, I expect that the same thing may happen on the Verizon iPhone launch day, but so what! Launch day is only one day, What really matters is that overall EVERYDAY service on Verizon I believe will be better. That is the real issue, screw what everyone else is trying to make an issue.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Wrong.

Hawaii has no snow.

But thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Mauna Kea (also known as White Mountain) from its undersea base of -19,000 feet to the wind-swept peaks of 13,796 feet, is the world's highest mountain

It offers some of the world's highest skiing. The massive extinct volcano actually has some of finest snow in the world, opening almost 100 square miles of ski able terrain. At this latitude the conditions are spring like; the snow is sugar corn. Locals call it 'Pineapple Powder'.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ciaran00 View Post

I think it's wonderful how stuck we are in our little worlds. I'm not sure what we perceive to be epic usage on iPhone side really is true. Verizon has been sustaining Android users for a while now. I'm sure they're used to it.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...double.iphone/

We have no indication what market and what carrier(s) Arieso used for their studies as they are used to measure user activity on request by carriers to identify and deal with user "hot-spots" for microcell deployment. Was this Verizon they were measuring? ATT? US markets or European markets? Do we know from the the article or the supporting white paper? I don't see where they derived their data from any of those sources, so how do we know that what they report is factually linked to any US market carrier? If you know additional information it would be helpful.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

I wonder why they don't take preorders sooner. If they started taking preorders this week, they would have a better indication of how many handsets they need at launch making it much less likely that there will be shortages.

I don't understan why Verizon and Apple do not implement an "Order via Email" process.

Publish the format of an email message that customers can send with all the details (except financial information) and reserve their iPhone. Once reserved they receive an email with a confirmation number that they can enter on a website and pay for the phone.

But I guess in the day of HTML there is probably no one left who can actually write a program to process a batch file. Sigh!

JDS
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMYd...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJref...eature=related at&t even with slight head start still gets waxed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBNwXhdJ7-E

Please don't try to come back and say that you need something more official. In all three test it's clear that Verizon's data is faster.

At that location - on that tower with that user load at that time of day. Sheesh Mike.

How about using data from one of the actual sources of actual data speed analysis, measuring speeds across the networks at different times of the day, with different load populations and different geolocations to develop a decidedly more accurate data set for measuring mean data speeds for each carrier? That would be meaningful. More so than a couple of reporters doing ad hoc speed tests loading web pages.

So no, don't "need" something more official, but don't expect anyone with any desire for real data to respect anything about those videos representing a real speed analysis either.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

At that location - on that tower with that user load at that time of day. Sheesh Mike.

How about using data from one of the actual sources of actual data speed analysis, measuring speeds across the networks at different times of the day, with different load populations and different geolocations to develop a decidedly more accurate data set for measuring mean data speeds for each carrier? That would be meaningful. More so than a couple of reporters doing ad hoc speed tests loading web pages.

So no, don't "need" something more official, but don't expect anyone with any desire for real data to respect anything about those videos representing a real speed analysis either.

You sound like an excuse maker to me. When I buy a phone I don't wanna hear "you have to be on this tower, with this user load, on this certain day." As a customer that's not the type of shit that I care to be concerning myself with! I want to pick up my phone and have it work just about everywhere I need it to. I have experience from both perspectives, I've been a Verizon subscriber for the past two years, and I've worked for Apple dealing with iPhones all day. I know well the complaints that people have been having with their iphones so really I don't care what you say. You do not get the same problems on a whole that you get with at&t PERIOD.

Generally when you hear people complain about at&t, the complaints are about spotty service. Generally when you hear people complain about Verizon it's about spotty customer service. Of course that is not the case for every situation, but the majority of the time it is. for your $100's+ that you pay every month for cell service, which one is more important to you, cell service or customer service??? This should be a no brainer.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Well, that doesn't give you a warm fuzzy when we are already seeing issues at preorder. I thought VZ had all of this time to make sure there would be no hickups?

Exactly! Everyone is so gong ho about the iPhone coming to Verizon because it is supposed to be more "reliable" than AT&T's. I don't particularly care for either one, but I hope Verizon really is prepared for the influx of iPhone users that will suck up their bandwidth. I intent to stay with AT&T. Hopefully enough people will jump ship so that the ones that stay will have better reception...and faster connection.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Mauna Kea (also known as White Mountain) from its undersea base of -19,000 feet to the wind-swept peaks of 13,796 feet, is the world's highest mountain

It offers some of the world's highest skiing. The massive extinct volcano actually has some of finest snow in the world, opening almost 100 square miles of ski able terrain. At this latitude the conditions are spring like; the snow is sugar corn. Locals call it 'Pineapple Powder'.

I did not know that. Cool. Currently Google Maps satellite pics shows the observatories and you can see some snow. I wonder when those satellite shots were taken...