Verizon to push Apple's iPhone with major 'marketing muscle' - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

iLiver, who is hopefully still ignoring me, is not in particularly good trolling form today. Very weak efforts.

I think he's just frustrated. I hear the check from the folks paying him to troll AI bounced. That'll irk anyone right?
  • Reply 42 of 61
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "Droid Does." ...

Droid Dead.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If Verizon pushes iPhone in at least some of its ads, I think it could really help Apple. I am not sure if they can though, as most iPhone ads were made by apple, and simply featured ATT at the end of the commercial.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

No- I only see Apple working with whomever trying to keep Adobe Flash off the web.

Apple owns iOS and Safari and it's their decision whether or not to implement a proprietary, buggy platform like Flash within their browser.

Adobe is well within their rights to push their partners like Google to remove video standards like H.264, too, so users are reliant on Flash.

You do have a choice.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't recall seeing iPhone ads produced by AT&T, only Apple's ads. I hope Verizon doesn't hype it in a non-Apple style. That silly swirl on the example image makes me wonder if the TV ads will have the typical Apple sophistication or the ridiculous Droid-like, over the top sensationalism.

I'd hope and suspect Apple have some say in any ad containing iPhone as part of any agreement be it AT&T (who I agree, did nothing as I recall) or Verizon.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Droid Dead.

Droid is for dead 'Macho men.'
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

One of the reasons that iWork, while excellent has been a bit of a flop.

I've not tried excellent, got a download link?
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I like it as an Apple share holder but the fact Verizon and AT&T too, stab whoever isn't their favorite flavor of the week in the back, is a bit sickening really when you think about it. But ... I know 'it's a cruel, hard World out there, get used to it'

T-Mobile advertising in the US has been careful not to criticize the iPhone or Apple, but AT&T instead. It's interesting, I'm sure T-Mobile USA would like to offer the iPhone on their HSPA+ network.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

T-Mobile advertising in the US has been careful not to criticize the iPhone or Apple, but AT&T instead. It's interesting, I'm sure T-Mobile USA would like to offer the iPhone on their HSPA+ network.

Yep, I remarked on that point when I saw the ad where the guy is carrying Mac on his back. It was almost being sorry for Mac having to use AT&T not mocking Mac at all.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

Apple owns iOS and Safari and it's their decision whether or not to implement a proprietary, buggy platform like Flash within their browser.

Adobe is well within their rights to push their partners like Google to remove video standards like H.264, too, so users are reliant on Flash.

You do have a choice.

The Apple War raged against Adobe and Flash is well documented and not worth repeating here. Everyone knows Apple is trying to squash it in favor of their own H.264 because Macs heat up and batteries expolode and/or are drained from Flash whereas PCs running Flash do not.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

It will be interesting to see how Verizon dances around the 'crippling' they've done on the iPhone (no concurrent data/voice, slower network). But I suppose the same is already true for the Android devices they market today.

I just heard a telecommunications analyst on one of the cable news channels (FOX) warning Verizon that they need to seriously upgrade their network (beyond what it is today) if they are to avoid any problems.

They fired up 16 brand new cell sites in NYC the day of the announcement so they're being proactive (like ATT should've been) instead of reactive.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timop View Post

Carrier wars? yawn!

Marketing muscle? why bother, unless VZW finds a way to differentiate its features?

Given the well-reported costs of switching carriers, major new marketing is only justified if Verizon leads with a killer App, as in new mobile social must-have.

Think feature-rich, x-platform mobile IM/text client that lets users chat with friends everywhere, hold buddy group chats, send pictures, avoid text fees, and make new friends, with MeetMe(TM). And see the future, with Point-and-Chat(TM).

This sounds like a job for Social Messaging(TM).

Who is Tim Cook going to call?

PoKos!

There has been an outcry for years about the iPhone being on VZW and its not from people who assume they'll have better service with VZW but from those that have tried both carriers and have deemed VZW in their opinion to be best. So no VZW does not have to differentiate itself.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They fired up 16 brand new cell sites in NYC the day of the announcement so they're being proactive (like ATT should've been) instead of reactive.

Being proactive regarding their network, but do we know how much effort AT&T put into their network before the iPhone launched? just because the demand was too great for them doesn?t mean they weren?t being proactive, it just means they weren?t being proactive enough. I can?t believe for a second they would have done nothing until after the iPhone data usage saturated their network. I seem to recall quite a few reports of billions of dollars in infrastructure being added.

And we could call Verizon?s efforts vicariously reactive since they had the benefit of seeing what AT&T?s network went through. I would imagine they knew back in 2008 they were going to get the iPhone eventually and knew data-heavy phones would eventually come to them so they planned accordingly after seeing the iPhone on AT&T and their Vodaphone partner reported about the iPhone on their other networks.

That isn?t to say Verizon?s effort are unsuccessful as learning from other?s failures is a sign of wisdom, IMO, but that also doesn?t mean that there efforts will be enough either. We?ll have to wait and find out.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

As much as I love Keynote and Pages, Numbers is a complete embarrassment of a spreadsheet for power users. As long as that continues, guys like me are going to have to run Microsoft Office instead of, or in addition to, iWork. (And 100% compatibility of .docx documents between the Windows and Mac versions of Word doesn't hurt the Microsoft MacBU cause.)

I think complete embarrassment is a huge exaggeration, I have found numbers is very capable of some complex calculations. Sounds to me more like rehashing of Microsoft propaganda.

100% docx compatibility?!!! That to me makes me question if you've really done much cross-platform docx sharing, there are many bugs & incompatibilities between Office for Mac & Office for Windows. Most are minor but a few are very frustrating.

I doubt Apple will bring a Windows version simply as a way of sticking it to Microsoft. Remember that Office first made it's debut on the Mac and Microsoft even had a deal with Apple to really focus future releases on the Mac platform. Then Microsoft released Windows & suddenly the promise of developing future Office products primarily for the Mac platform was conveniently forgotten. Microsoft stabbed Apple in the back, which is why Steve Jobs never really had any respect for Bill Gates.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I think complete embarrassment is a huge exaggeration, I have found numbers is very capable of some complex calculations. Sounds to me more like rehashing of Microsoft propaganda.

"Rehashing of Microsoft propaganda"? I think you just called me a Microsoft fanboi!

Numbers is fine for checkbook balancing or back-of-the-envelope calculations, but it really doesn't have anywhere near the power that Excel does. Honest Mac users will admit it was never intended to. The "multiple worksheets per page" paradigm is OK if that's what you're used to, but good luck doing anything complex with it. And forget collaborating with someone who doesn't have a Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

100% docx compatibility?!!! That to me makes me question if you've really done much cross-platform docx sharing, there are many bugs & incompatibilities between Office for Mac & Office for Windows. Most are minor but a few are very frustrating.

Since Office 2008, I've never had a Word document created or modified on my Mac at home that didn't render exactly the same on either Word 2007 or 2010 at work.

Quite simply, Office for Mac is the only way I can have a Windows-free network at home. Small victories, eh?
  • Reply 56 of 61
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I've not tried excellent, got a download link?

Good catch ... I love the humor.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It makes no sense for T-Mobile USA to mock Apple. T-Mobile is an official iPhone carrier in something like eight European countries including the T-Mobile parent company headquarters home in Germany.

For that matter, Apple already has a long-term partnership with one of Verizon Wireless's parent companies: Vodafone. Many of Vodafone's 23 markets outside of the United States carry the iPhone including the Vodafone headquarters home country, the United Kingdom. Vodafone is actually the world's largest telecommunications company by revenue.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

iLiver, who is hopefully still ignoring me, is not in particularly good trolling form today. Very weak efforts.

Yep. I had a run in with him/her/it a while ago.

What is the definition of a troll who posts but does not reply ?

Metaphor could be on the lines of a girl that s&^$s but does not sw$@#&w.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

The Apple War raged against Adobe and Flash is well documented and not worth repeating here. Everyone knows Apple is trying to squash it in favor of their own H.264 because Macs heat up and batteries expolode and/or are drained from Flash whereas PCs running Flash do not.

Yeah. Ever owned a dell laptop / Biggest piece of crap ever made, and it weighs a ton, the battery must be one of those super heavy ones that last just 4 hours while running the wunderful Flash.

Click to Flash is one of the best tools I have used to rid myself of unwanted Flash ads, who needs them, except for girlies like you.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Oh, thank goodness.

If Verizon didn't throw their marketing muscle behind the iPhone, nobody would know about it!

Verizon will likely make good gains just off people who don't know any better wandering into a store, asking if they sell iPhones, and finally being told "yes" rather than "no"-- without any idea about the situation whatsoever.