Apple issues iOS 4.3 beta with Personal Hotspot, new multitouch gestures

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released the first beta of iOS 4.3 for the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, bringing support for Personal Hotspot, new multi-touch gestures, the ability for third-party applications to use AirPlay, and a software option for changing the functionality of the iPad hardware switch.

The initial beta is available to developers in the iOS Dev Center. iOS 4.3 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is dubbed build 8F5148b.

According to Macstories.net, iOS 4.3 brings new multi-touch gestures built specifically for the iPad, including 4- and 5-finger gestures. The new beta reportedly allows users to pinch to access the home screen, to swipe up to reveal the multitasking tray, and swipe left and right to switch between open applications.

In addition, another iOS 4.3 beta for the Apple TV was also released. It allows developers to test AirPlay functionality with iOS applications on the new Apple TV.

Update: In addition, the new update also reportedly adds the ability to change the functionality of the iPad hardware switch. When the iPad launched, the switch originally acted as an orientation lock, but with the release of iOS 4.2, the button changed to mute the device.

The download page makes no mention of the iPhone 3G or second-generation iPod touch. Supported devices are the iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, third-generation iPod touch, and fourth-generation iPod touch.

The new beta confirms rumors that Apple would add its new Personal Hotspot feature to existing GSM iPhones with iOS 4.3. The functionality allows users to share their 3G data connection with up to five devices over Wi-Fi. Those reports claimed that Apple plans to publicly release iOS 4.3 in March.

The new Wi-Fi tethering ability was first revealed on the new CDMA iPhone for Verizon when the product was announced on Tuesday. That forthcoming phone was demonstrated running a different version of iOS, 4.2.5. The latest public version of iOS for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is 4.2.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    iOS Just keeps getting better and better. Wonder what Apple has up their sleeve with version 5.0!
  • Reply 2 of 77
    Makes me wonder if these gestures could also be incorporated for a new notification system???
  • Reply 3 of 77
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Sounds good! Looking forward to more Airplay functionality.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    Oh, Yeah!

Dloading now...
  • Reply 5 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    No update for 2nd generation iPhone and iPod Touch. That’s different.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    I hope it is more impressive than the last update. Not that it was aweful but it did not seem like it added much for the iPhone.

On the plus, this new Wi-Fi hotspot will be very nice.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    This is so cool. Now I'll be able to setup a completely mobile command center with internet access for my Mac Book Pro going through my iPad or iPhone.

WiFi seems to use less power than Bluetooth, is faster, and less hassle to setup than Bluetooth as well.

Can't wait for this to be released to the general population.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    The new Hotspot tethering will work great if released on AT&Ts network. On Verizon, anyone sharing a Hotspot will find themselves disconnected if/when an actual phone call comes in for the iPhone owner. Can you hear me now?
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Wish Apple could tweak Bluetooth so that it can send n receive Photos from non-ios devices and make it possible to Edit the Recent call list.

• Reply 10 of 77
    The hotspot feature is all well and good but the Airplay update is just plain exciting. This is another step in allowing consumers more a la carte options in media consumption.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    Update: In addition, the new update also reportedly adds the ability to change the functionality of the iPad hardware switch. When the iPad launched, the switch originally acted as an orientation lock, but with the release of iOS 4.2, the button changed to mute the device.

SWEET! By far my biggest complaint.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    All The others at least got a few days on stage. Before Apple took all attention back. Verizon and now this.

Must be tough to be RIM, Samsung or any other from ... You know!!! That trade show. Almost forgot! CES something...
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, another iOS 4.3 beta for the Apple TV was also released. It allows developers to test AirPlay functionality with iOS applications on the new Apple TV.

Looks like Apple TV will soon be opening up to third-party apps. Great news!
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post

The hotspot feature is all well and good but the Airplay update is just plain exciting. This is another step in allowing consumers more a la carte options in media consumption.

Airplay for 3rd party is how I see game and apps for apple tv working. They wont be hosted by the apple tv, but by your iPhone or iPad. The potential here is huge, especially if they can use a different screen configuration when purporting through apple tv.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    I have a developers account...can any developers tell me if it's working and enabled for proper testing using AT&T's network?
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fleetst View Post

Looks like Apple TV will soon be opening up to third-party apps. Great news!

where do you get that idea? Apple is simply letting developers stream their in-app video to the AppleTV via airplay, if the developer wants to allow such a feature within their app.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    So, if I have (say) an iPhone 3GS and an iPod Touch 4G with me, this means I can share my 3G connectivity to the iPod through WiFi and use FaceTime while outside? (effectively bypassing the restriction)
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Airplay for 3rd party is how I see game and apps for apple tv working. They wont be hosted by the apple tv, but by your iPhone or iPad. The potential here is huge, especially if they can use a different screen configuration when purporting through apple tv.

Games via AirPlay requires pushing a lot of pixels & FPS over WiFi...

I think a better approach would be to download the games (via iTunes or ATV), store the games in your local iTunes library, then crossload a game to be played to the ATV.

Any iDevice remote would run a companion remote controller app that sends commands/gestures (only) to the ATV -- instead of the entire game animation.

The companion app on, say, an iPhone, could display controls (if you need/want to look at the remote) or just recognize gestures independent of where they occur (if you don't need/want to look at the remote).
  • Reply 19 of 77
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Hoping mlb.tv app will support Airplay when the season begins. I plan to torture AT&T by streaming every MLB game from my iPhone or iPad over 3G until they relent and allow me to enable tethering on my iPhone without first removing the original unlimited data plan.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

where do you get that idea? Apple is simply letting developers stream their in-app video to the AppleTV via airplay, if the developer wants to allow such a feature within their app.

That is, IMO, a necessary next step if Apple wants to add an SDK and App Store for the AppleTV. Meaning, The best way to use apps on the AppleTV will be with an iOS/iDevice. That means that APIs for pushing data between them with ease needs to be well designed so that AppleTV apps can work with iPhone/Touch and iPad apps with ease for the developer and consumer.