Apple issues iOS 4.3 beta with Personal Hotspot, new multitouch gestures

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    The multitouch gestures isn't showing up on my settings in the ipad 4.3 beta. Anyone else having this problem?
  • Reply 62 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Being that the HOT SPOT has to be enabled by ATT to work, I wonder if ATT will be charging for it.????\\

I hope so!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

The multitouch gestures isn't showing up on my settings in the ipad 4.3 beta. Anyone else having this problem?

http://www.macstories.net/ipad/how-t...-4-3-for-ipad/
  • Reply 63 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Hopefully widgets or dynamic icons. Why does the calendar icon show me the date but everything else have to be static. A weather app icon that actually includes weather information might be helpful for instance.

How about a 'back-light" setting? Apparently I'm the only one who noticed that the device shuts off after about 30 seconds or so with 4.2.?....

I liked it very much when it stayed active while it was charging. Now it goes dim after 30 seconds. Why? It's charging and the 'power' since it's plugged in shouldn't be a problem. So at work if I'm playing songs it just goes dark on me.... Really? I like the album artwork and or lyrics.

I'm talking about the iPad by the way.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    The new multitouch gestures are a godsend, no more double tapping the home button. This will make multitasking even easier on the iPad.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

'flinging' (or whatever it's called) 4:3 1024x768 iPad apps to display on an HDTV screen via AirPlay/AppleTV would be good, but not great. i suppose horizontal anamorphic compression could be used to expand its aspect to 16:9 (like some DVD's do). whereas a native AppleTV app would almost certainly be 16:9 1280x720, and displaying that on an iPad screen somehow would require downscaling the image to 1024x576. none of these options is top notch, and i just can't see Jobs doing this.

but ... if the iPad 2 display resolution is boosted to at least 1280x900 (165dpi, just a bit better than the Xoom's 162dpi), then it could run a new class of 16:9 1280x720 apps itself. and then fling their display to HDTV via AppleTV. very simple.

that would be really cool, so i think it is what's coming with iPad 2. i expect both iPad 2 and iOS 4.3 with an SDK for these new apps to be announced at some special Apple event in the next several weeks.

Look at the leaked cases. Take out a tape measure and do some math. The new iPad is HD.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Personal hotspot is a good idea. I would have expected it to be branded Airport-something though. But perhaps that would be too confusing since the phone already has an Airplane mode.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition, the new update also reportedly adds the ability to change the functionality of the iPad hardware switch.

Yay! I emailed Steve about this idea. Glad to see he listened.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Personal Hotspot is nothing more than renaming Internet Tethering and adding the ability to connect to an AP in the same screen. Still works just fine on ATT.

No, it adds the ability to create a WiFi network - not connect to a WiFi network.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    Anyone tell me how I can mail my feature request to Apple?

The two feature I really really want to have is photo management and customize lockscreen. I have over a thousand pictures all jumbled up in my camera roll, and the only way to organize it is through iPhoto. You should just be able to organize it on the iPhone and sync it to iPhoto, or vice versa. The customize lockscreen is obviously useful for business users.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

The two feature I really really want to have is photo management and customize lockscreen. I have over a thousand pictures all jumbled up in my camera roll, and the only way to organize it is through iPhoto. You should just be able to organize it on the iPhone and sync it to iPhoto, or vice versa. The customize lockscreen is obviously useful for business users.

http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

You can use: http://www.apple.com/feedback/
  • Reply 72 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No update for 2nd generation iPhone and iPod Touch. That?s different.

Right..cause 4.2 worked so wonderfully for the 3g. Time marches on. Next year my 3gs will be finally put out to pasture, I'd be willing to bet.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Looking forward to the new B&W Zeppelin Airplay.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

All The others at least got a few days on stage. Before Apple took all attention back. Verizon and now this.

Must be tough to be RIM, Samsung or any other from ... You know!!! That trade show. Almost forgot! CES something...

Oh yea, must be real tough to be Samsung, Apple releasing features you have already been providing for over a year.

File transfer via bluetooth - DLNA media over Wifi (airplay) - Wifi hotspot for five devices - all are features I have had for the last six months.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

Airplay for 3rd party is how I see game and apps for apple tv working. They wont be hosted by the apple tv, but by your iPhone or iPad. The potential here is huge, especially if they can use a different screen configuration when purporting through apple tv.

If it can update the Game data at realtime in the Apple TV display then Xbox & PS3 will have real contender
  • Reply 76 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike_t View Post

Right..cause 4.2 worked so wonderfully for the 3g. Time marches on. Next year my 3gs will be finally put out to pasture, I'd be willing to bet.

I didn?t hear about any issues people were having with 4.2 on the 3G, just 4.0.

But this is unusual for Apple as it?s a point update with a lot of new features. Features that could be advertised an demoed at a special event.

It makes me wonder if you are correct about the 3GS not getting an update next year. If 3 years of rich updates is proving too much, especially when no other vendor seems to be even trying to match Apple?s immediate and much update cycle, they may just drop the 3rd year model update to save time and hassle for themselves and customers.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

From my understanding, only if the call is ANSWERED. You have the choice to see who's calling and decide if you want to interrupt your data connection. No, it's not ideal. But you aren't automatically booted off your data connection like some people would have you believe.

When I have my phone tethered and I'm working on my laptop I'm not consciously aware of where my internet is coming from. If my phone rang I would answer it and then have that "Doh!" moment when I realized I dropped my internet connection. This would be very annoying for me as the times when I am using mobile interent also happen to be the same times I am most likely to making mobile calls.

This will also affect many of the cool iPhone apps that run in the background like Glimpse and other that send out location information and other updates. Persistant connection to skype and other IM clients will be a problem. You can also forget about using the Find My iPhone feature if the thief is using the phone. (though a CDMA phone would be harder to resell anyway since it is tied to Verizon with no swappable sim card)

I think this will become a big gripe among AT&T coverts to Verizon expecting better network service. Time will tell.