Apple's iOS 4.3 beta reveals 'Find My Friends' feature, new iPads, iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The first iOS 4.3 beta this week includes references to a new "Find My Friends" feature tied to MobileMe, as well as two new iPhone and three new iPad models.

Find My Friends

Hidden in the native Settings application of the first iOS 4.3 beta is a reference to a new "Find My Friends" feature, discovered by MacRumors. The strings for Find My Friends are associated with MobileMe, suggesting that the service would be tied to Apple's $99-per-year service.

The name suggests the feature could be similar to existing products like Google Latitude or Loopt. The official Google Latitude application was initially rejected from the iPhone App Store, but Apple eventually approved the software in December.

Apple's interest in a location-sharing service was detailed by AppleInsider in December, in a patent application filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Referred to in the documentation as "Friend Locator," the service would use Apple's push notification service to share their location with friends via GPS.

iOS 4.3 beta references new iPhone, iPad models

Also uncovered in the pre-release software are references to new models for the iPhone and iPad, as uncovered by Engadget. The beta features identifiers for two new iPhones and three iPads.

The iPhones are known as "iPhone4,1" and "iPhone4,2," while the just-announced CDMA handset headed to Verizon on Feb. 10 is referred to as "iPhone3,3." The lack of reference to an "iPhone4,3" is also of note.

The code also reveals three new iPads, referred to as "iPad2,1," "iPad2,2," and "iPad2,3." The first-generation iPad is currently available in two variants: a Wi-Fi-only model, and one with an added 3G radio compatible with GSM-based carriers, like AT&T in the U.S.

This week, a Verizon executive let slip that Apple plans to release a new iPad with a CDMA radio built in, to allow the hardware to connect to its network. That new CDMA iPad could represent the third model referenced in the iOS 4.3 beta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This week, a Verizon executive let slip that Apple plans to release a new iPad with a CDMA radio built in, to allow the hardware to connect to its network.

Why does AI keep reporting Verizon's announcement as a "slip?" Is there any evidence that suggests that the announcement was inadvertant and that Verizon or Apple did not want this information public?
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Looking forward to iOS4.3, I like the concept of 5 fingered controlling and navigation.

Apple just continues innovating. Can't wait for iPad2, I have bought 3, sent 2 to Russia, and have to fight my kids and wife for the other one.

My 7 year old knows how to use it as well as my iPhone, no manuals, a minute training and she is off and running. Isn't that what good software is about ?

User friendliness, simple and no manual, just explore and quickly learn, however the haters confuse this with what they term a "toy". I feel sorry for them, they are so ignorant and just do not get it and will never be the wiser.

I discovered Apple in 1999, and have never regretted this.

I am constantly in awe-struck of their innovations.

As a computer programmer I appreciate good UI design and robust and well thought out architecture and code, it is obvious to all that Apple are the creme-de-le-creme.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Hey not fair, I posted first with a change, but was beaten, had to edit my original post.

AI you are BASTARDS lol !
  • Reply 4 of 59
    "Find My Friends" sounds like it can be used by a paranoid spouse to check up on the other one.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Is there any evidence that suggests that the announcement was inadvertent

A decade and a half of Apple being obscenely secretive on future products isn't enough of a clue for you?
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

"Find My Friends" sounds like it can be used by a paranoid spouse to check up on the other one.

I know you're joking but I use Find My iPhone to locate my wife about once every few months - usually when she's late. The kids will gather around and we'll locate her phone and follow her progress back to the house. Saves an annoying phone call to my wife and distracts the kids from the wait.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A decade and a half of Apple being obscenely secretive on future products isn't enough of a clue for you?

A clue maybe, but not a fact worthy of publication. We have no idea what negotiations took place or what the result was regarding announcement of a CDMA-compatible iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Remember a time before cell phones and how you made plans to meet a friend at a particular location and time and somehow you were able to do without relying on ten phone calls (where are you?, you said to call you when I got to main street now you are not answering your phone, OMG). Let's add a track device that will eliminate that desperate call and replaces it with (just track me when I get downtown and we can hook up). All of this "convenience" seems like like a lot more work and less efficient than, "meet you at the corner of main and high street 12 o'clock."

Jealous boyfriends and girlfriends you just got a new tool to broaden your suspicions that your mate "may" be cheating. Have fun.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

I know you're joking but I use Find My iPhone to locate my wife about once every few months - usually when she's late. The kids will gather around and we'll locate her phone and follow her progress back to the house. Saves an annoying phone call to my wife and distracts the kids from the wait.

this is the equivalence of looking through her pockets.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Quote:

Uh no. A CDMA version of the iPad does not really count as a new product that they would necessarily keep secret, and it certainly could be something they agreed to go public with at the same time as the iPhone partnership announcement.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Shuffling music in 4.3 on the iPhone is completely shagged, it just goes through the tracks in order! anyone else see this?
  • Reply 12 of 59
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

this is the equivalence of looking through her pockets.

No. I assume that she is fully aware and approving of the activity. So it's the equivalent of her saying please look in my pocketbook for a tic-tac.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

... however the haters confuse this with what they term a "toy". I feel sorry for them, they are so ignorant and just do not get it and will never be the wiser.

As a computer programmer I appreciate good UI design and robust and well thought out architecture and code, it is obvious to all that Apple are the creme-de-le-creme.

Here! Here! -- Well said!
  • Reply 14 of 59
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    The "find my iPhone" feature does not require a paid MobileMe account any more. I assume that this will not either.

I also have tracked my wife on her journey home from late night events. I started it since she has the habit of forgetting to turn the iPhone back on. She appreciates a hot cup of teat that is waiting as she enters the door.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Uh no. A CDMA version of the iPad does not really count as a new product that they would necessarily keep secret, and it certainly could be something they agreed to go public with at the same time as the iPhone partnership announcement.

Then Verizon or Apple would have told us about the Verizon iPhone in 2008 when negotiations began agan.

It isn't public yet, so your second suggestion isn't valid, either.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

She appreciates a hot cup of teat that is waiting as she enters the door.

Is this a lesbian/bisexual thing?
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:

Then Verizon or Apple would have told us about the Verizon iPhone in 2008 when negotiations began agan.

Are you really trying to make that argument? Seriously?

A) Announce Verizon iPhone in 2008 when negotiations have begun but there are still open technological and business hurdles that could cause delays or perhaps kill the deal.

B) Announce CDMA iPad in 2011, presumably after technical testing and after a business agreement has been reached, and after Verizon has been selling iPads for a few months and has announced a CDMA iPhone.

Yeah, these are real comparable.

And the CDMA iPad is NOT PUBLIC YET? HUH? How do WE know about it since we are not insiders?
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:

That makes no sense. The difference here is the iPhone (and perhaps iPad, we don't know) negotiations are concluded. My point is that if the author of the article has evidence that the announcement was a slip, he should so state. If that is his conclusion based on Apple's years of secrecy or his flip of a coin, he should state that as well.

Quote:

It is public now, at least from VZ's perspective.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    I'm hoping that with iPad 2.0 Apple has removed the question of WiFi or 3G.

I hope there is a single model with WiFi+GSM+CDMA+GPS.

The only choice is how many GBs.

I think 6 SKUs is too many.

I don't think Apple would add a separate CDMA model and go to 9 iPad SKUs.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I'm hoping that with iPad 2.0 Apple has removed the question of WiFi or 3G.

I hope there is a single model with WiFi+GSM+CDMA+GPS.

The only choice is how many GBs.

I think 6 SKUs is too many.

I don't think Apple would add a separate CDMA model and go to 9 iPad SKUs.

There are 3 different new iPad's in iOS 4.3 and the different levels of storage don't count from an OS perspective. Last year we had 2 models in the OS, WIFI and GSM. You can guess what the third will be.