First look: New SMS alert settings, multitouch iPad gestures in Apple's iOS 4.3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So is all this information supplied to AI by Apple or a developer under an NDA? Just curious.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Thanks for this info; didn't know.

But how silly is it that I have to now go home and hold a microphone to my old cell phone (which uses all the standard alarm sounds), record it, create an iTunes track, turn that track into a ringtone, sync the ringtone to my computer, sync the phone to the computer, and then finally be able to set the alarm to the newly created ringtone? I mean all I'm talking about here is a tone that goes "beep" or "beep-beep" or maybe "beep-beep-beep-beep." You know, like what most people have used to wake up to since the 1970's.

It's pretty likely that I won't ever do this anyway because it's too much hassle. I will just keep using my old cell phone (that I stopped using when the iPhone came out in 2007), as an alarm clock. Even though it's a crappy Virgin flip-phone from 5 or 6 years ago, it still works, and it's a better alarm clock than the fancy new iPhone.

Try Garageband to add stuff via iTunes. Apple supply tons of sound effects for GB. There is a 'Send Ring Tone to iTunes' built right in too

Look in /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple

There are many great sounds to have fun with, especially if you have SoundTrack Pro but even iLife has many.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Anyone can download an Alarm Clock app. Lots of them are free.

Apple has got a lot on their plate right now.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    What is interesting about all this is that pretty useful and well requested features are now turning up in pout releases. No longer need to wait for next version of idevice to get copyand paste rolled out.

This can mean one of two things:

1.Apple wanted to include these features in iOS 4 from the start, but did not have time

2. Apple is now willing to improve it's products via software, rather then forcing peope to wait for the new hardware to have acres to new features. This would great news and ads more value to users then say android, which still requires a hardware change for the most part to get the new version of os and features. (not required per se, but it's harder to update android phones then iOS phones due to carrier/ manufacturer interference)
  • Reply 25 of 79
    I have a 3G and have resigned myself to not getting 4.3. That being said could you PLEASE not continue to link that one viral video that shows ONE person kind of using 4.2 and claiming it's such a great fix. Is that really the only proof going around that 4.2 made a difference? Why is that one video linked over and over on all the Mac sites when people mention 4.2 and 3G's? If that guy could get a royalty he'd be raking in the dough.

I'd hate to see how Mac sites would handle say proof to invade another country. One YouTube video?
  • Reply 26 of 79
    So...if I understand correctly, if AT&T allows this feature - even at a price, I would not really need the iPad 3G. The iPad wifi would suffice.

And if I also have a macbook air, when I travel I could set up the phone to provide 3G internet to either the iPad or the macbook air.

Thus instead of paying $30 per month (when needed) on the ipad 3G, I now have the option (assuming AT&T charged in the $20-30 per month range) of using the phone.

The main benefit is more devices that I can use while just paying one monthly fee.

So to me, the real question is: will they require an annual contract for the hotspot, or can I turn it on and off as needed, which is how it is set up with the iPad......

Also if I have unlimited data plan on the phone, would that change?

I don't mind paying for data but don't understand why I have to pay for it on every device.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    IMHO the Airplay SDK addition is the biggest thing on that list.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    I don't make a ton of phone calls, but I wish there was better organization of calls. One list full of incoming and outgoing calls can get a little confusing and it couldn't be that hard to split the two up.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

I don't make a ton of phone calls, but I wish there was better organization of calls. One list full of incoming and outgoing calls can get a little confusing and it couldn't be that hard to split the two up.

Yeah I can see that, but I just look at the little icon next to the name. Telephone with an arrow? Outgoing. No arrow. Incoming.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reklss41 View Post

There is a timer. go to recents, then the blue arrow next to the name of the caller and wall-a.

Thanks. My wife has been hounding me about it. I really don't pay much attention to it.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I hate there is no SMS option for a time stamp. It's nice to know when a text message comes through!

This. So much this.

Also, weren't we promised editable call history at one point? Still waiting for that!
  • Reply 32 of 79
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    anyway airplay can send data to a device that's not apple TV? my TV has 3 HDMI ports and they are all used and i don't want to buy a switch box
  • Reply 33 of 79
    All I want is support for delivery reports.

SMS is grey as its being sent ( as it is at the mo)

Change the Background to blue or something when sent and then change to green when delivery report is received.

simple
  • Reply 34 of 79
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I don't mind paying for data but don't understand why I have to pay for it on every device.

I can understand why a vendor places a fee on a service: because they can, and they have made a business deterimnation it is their best interests (profit) to do so.

I do the same when think about buying. I could use the moble hot-spot feature, but will not pay above a certain price for the new convenience. It wasn't part of the original deal when I bought my iPhone. To me, it is not worth an extra $20/mo locked in for 24 months, for example. YMMV.

Give me a monthly plan for 200MB at $5, and I'd buy. I rather think multiple options in between these would be attractive to many.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Thanks for this info; didn't know.

But how silly is it that I have to now go home and hold a microphone to my old cell phone (which uses all the standard alarm sounds), record it, create an iTunes track, turn that track into a ringtone, sync the ringtone to my computer, sync the phone to the computer, and then finally be able to set the alarm to the newly created ringtone? I mean all I'm talking about here is a tone that goes "beep" or "beep-beep" or maybe "beep-beep-beep-beep." You know, like what most people have used to wake up to since the 1970's.

It's pretty likely that I won't ever do this anyway because it's too much hassle. I will just keep using my old cell phone (that I stopped using when the iPhone came out in 2007), as an alarm clock. Even though it's a crappy Virgin flip-phone from 5 or 6 years ago, it still works, and it's a better alarm clock than the fancy new iPhone.

Okay, so wait. First you complain that it was impossible. Then, when you find out it is possible, you give the worst case method of getting a ringtone into an iPhone and complain how difficult it is. And this is only because you like the sound your old alarm clock makes?

How about using a different alarm app?

How about searching the internet for the alarm clock sound?

Maybe write to Apple and explain your dilemma, maybe they'll add it to the next version of iOS for you, since it is so important to you, that you can't even be bothered to do it yourself. Just be sure to include a crying emoticon so they know you're serious. : ' (

I don't use iPhone's built-in alarm clock. Nightstand is so much better - well worth the 99 cents!
  • Reply 36 of 79
    5 finger swiping.....what's next, 5 fingers + 2 toes + your nose to access the main menu?

• Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

5 finger swiping.....what's next, 5 fingers + 2 toes + your nose to access the main menu?

Yeah, and if you hold it up to your "ear" you can hear the ocean, too!

Best
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It works with this tag <embed src="movie.mov" width=320 height=240 airplay="allow">

It would be wonderful if the iDevice could completely control the web page and not just the movie.

Yes, have the ability to do both the web page, itself, and any audio or video within yhe page.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Well that would be the same as just using eight fingers.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

i have used my nose many times when I am outside running in the cold weather and I have mittens or gloves on.

my nose is very good at navigating the playlist ...