First look: New SMS alert settings, multitouch iPad gestures in Apple's iOS 4.3

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Inquiring minds want to know:

Halfway through a release cycle of what?

"And, how do you determine it is halfway?", asked Tom, middlingly.

iOS and because Apple has released the new version of iOS every Summer.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    My most wanted features.

1. An indicator LED so I can see if I missed a call or text when the phone is on the table.

2. An icon on top for when mute is enabled.

3. How about letting me stay in appstore when I click Buy. I hate having to go back and forth when browsing for apps. I see the point of letting me know where it is but I think I can find it.

4. Shortcuts to settings like 3G on/off etc.

5 I'd like to be able to dismiss a missed call or text without having to go in to the apps. The lock-screen could have a dismiss button.

6. Being able to edit numbers in the phone.app. You can copy and paste numbers, but I can't edit.

In Europe at least, local numbers will come with a 0 before the number. However that 0 is not used if you are calling abroad. People tend to type their phone numbers like this, 0043 (0) 12345678. If you click that link in safari or mail.app you get the number with the zero in it. And that will not work since that is for local calls. Call will not be connected..

You can remove digits in phone.app, but only from the back. This means you will have to remember 6-8 digits just to remove the zero.. You will have to go into notes.. Edit the phone number, copy it and paste it back to phone.app.

Aaargh. Very long explanation but that has made me very upset on a number of occasions.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:

Inquiring minds want to know:

Halfway through a release cycle of what?

"And, how do you determine it is halfway?", asked Tom, middlingly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iOS and because Apple has released the new version of iOS every Summer.

That's true... Except that a new iOS was originally tied to the annual iPhone release. Now, we have 3-4 different lines of iOS devices: iPhone, Touch, iPad, ATV.

There are at lest 2-3 divergent uses of iOS that do not need similar features. So, which device(s) release cycle should iOS be tied. Espencially since the iPad, likely, will be refreshed in April, the iPhone in July, the iPod and ATV in Oct.

I suspect that the biggest iOS changes, this year, will affect the iPad and ATV.

If, as some rumors have reported, the new iOS supports the ProRes codecs, then the larger screen of the iPad and logical destination of the ATV, suggest that even the release of Apple Pro apps for Mac OS X may have an iOS tie-in or co-dependency.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:

That's true... Except that a new iOS was originally tied to the annual iPhone release. Now, we have 3-4 different lines of iOS devices: iPhone, Touch, iPad, ATV.

There are at lest 2-3 divergent uses of iOS that do not need similar features. So, which device(s) release cycle should iOS be tied. Espencially since the iPad, likely, will be refreshed in April, the iPhone in July, the iPod and ATV in Oct.

I suspect that the biggest iOS changes, this year, will affect the iPad and ATV.

If, as some rumors have reported, the new iOS supports the ProRes codecs, then the larger screen of the iPad and logical destination of the ATV, suggest thst even the release of Apple Pro apps for Mac OS X may have an iOS tie-in or co-dependency.

But is the iPhone still the cornerstone for iOS-based devices? Remember the iPod Touch has been following the iPhone release by about 3-4 months each year.

The AppleTV is almost a surprise to be getting updates at the same time since Apple doesn?t actually call it ?i? something or state it runs iOS and uses a completely unique UI. It?s a wild card in so many ways. Even the iPad wasn?t inline with other iOS devices until late last year.

Maybe they will change it up, but if they do I would think that iOS 5.0 would be later than expected, not sooner. If it a season sooner then why not just wrap all these features into iOS 5.0 instead of 4.3?

At this point I?m more inclined to think that iOS 5.0 will be a pretty major overhaul and that (in light of the iPhone 3G and G2 iPod Touch not getting this iOS 4.3 update) the iPhone 3GS and G3 iPod Touch may not be getting iOS 5.0. Years of rich updates just may be too much effort with too little payoff and too many potential issues. Besides, who else is supporting their phones as long as Apple at this point?
  • Reply 65 of 79
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    I'd like to see a better organization of the networking options... in other words, bluetooth, 3G, tethering, data roaming, personal hotspot, wi-fi, etc would all be under a single menu... called Networking or something similar.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

5 finger swiping.....what's next, 5 fingers + 2 toes + your nose to access the main menu?

Crap! I only have 4 fingers on my right hand. Hope those 5 finger gestures aren't critical. Hopefully they won't use that as a replacement for the hardware home button.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I'd like to see a better organization of the networking options... in other words, bluetooth, 3G, tethering, data roaming, personal hotspot, wi-fi, etc would all be under a single menu... called Networking or something similar.

Settings » General » Networking. The only thing not there is Bluetooth as it?s typically not used for internet connectivity, but connectivity to some accessory for the device.

If by ?a single menu? you mean they shouldn?t reside in Settings except under the Networking setting then I disagree. While all the things you mention are technically defined as creating or connecting to a ?network? that is not how the typically user would see them. A user friendly design is best for organization. Airplane and WiFi at the top of the first Setting page because those are likely commonly accessed over other wireless connectivity options.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But is the iPhone still the cornerstone for iOS-based devices? Remember the iPod Touch has been following the iPhone release by about 3-4 months each year.

The AppleTV is almost a surprise to be getting updates at the same time since Apple doesn’t actually call it ‘i’ something or state it runs iOS and uses a completely unique UI. It’s a wild card in so many ways. Even the iPad wasn’t inline with other iOS devices until late last year.

Maybe they will change it up, but if they do I would think that iOS 5.0 would be later than expected, not sooner. If it a season sooner then why not just wrap all these features into iOS 5.0 instead of 4.3?

At this point I’m more inclined to think that iOS 5.0 will be a pretty major overhaul and that (in light of the iPhone 3G and G2 iPod Touch not getting this iOS 4.3 update) the iPhone 3GS and G3 iPod Touch may not be getting iOS 5.0. Years of rich updates just may be too much effort with too little payoff and too many potential issues. Besides, who else is supporting their phones as long as Apple at this point?

Those are all good points.

Sometime, in the next few months, an iDevice will get a dual-core CPU, an OpenCL-capable GPU and allow the iDevice to take advantage of OpenCL, GCD, the latest OpenGL, etc.

This opens application opportunities that appear to be most applicable to the iPad, because of its larger display, and targeting the ATV as a destination for AV.

I can't think of anything on the iPhone-size iDevices, other than virtual reality, that requires this level of hardware or API support.

For example, the current release of iOS supports bezier curve APIs -- but the Touch or iPhone screens are too small to take advantage of these APIs and the ATV UI is too limited.

So when does it make sense for the next major release of iOS?
  • Reply 69 of 79
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

If, as some rumors have reported, the new iOS supports the ProRes codecs, then the larger screen of the iPad and logical destination of the ATV, suggest that even the release of Apple Pro apps for Mac OS X may have an iOS tie-in or co-dependency.

Multi-touch support in FCS has been whispered about for a couple of years now...
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Multi-touch support in FCS has been whispered about for a couple of years now...

Yes! There are some UI constructs in FCS that scream out for a multitouch UI.

Then, there is the possibility that the iPad could be a co-peripheral to a Mac running FCS -- a touch/stylus input and a co-display to the Mac.

One interesting possibility would be to use a Mac, an iPad and an ATV together to manipulate video -- you could do things like telestrating, tracking, stabilization and display results approaching real-time, of, say, a sports re-play.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

My most wanted features.

1. An indicator LED so I can see if I missed a call or text when the phone is on the table.

3. How about letting me stay in appstore when I click Buy. I hate having to go back and forth when browsing for apps. I see the point of letting me know where it is but I think I can find it.

5 I'd like to be able to dismiss a missed call or text without having to go in to the apps. The lock-screen could have a dismiss button.

6. Being able to edit numbers in the phone.app. You can copy and paste numbers, but I can't edit.

In Europe at least, local numbers will come with a 0 before the number. However that 0 is not used if you are calling abroad. People tend to type their phone numbers like this, 0043 (0) 12345678. If you click that link in safari or mail.app you get the number with the zero in it. And that will not work since that is for local calls. Call will not be connected..

You can remove digits in phone.app, but only from the back. This means you will have to remember 6-8 digits just to remove the zero.. You will have to go into notes.. Edit the phone number, copy it and paste it back to phone.app.

Aaargh. Very long explanation but that has made me very upset on a number of occasions.

2-5 are easily solved via jailbreak apps. I believe the solutions are free but I might be wrong, haven't checked to see what I have installed in awhile. Even then they probably won't cost more than a dollar or two. Still baffles me why indicator tones are still decided by apple after 4 years, 4 hardware revisions and almost 5 major OS releases. There is nothing hard about adding the ability to change notification tones. Since Apple is the de facto leader in the mobile OS market, I'm sure they have an engineer that could cook this up in a day or so, jailbreak devs do so why can't they? Nothing in 4.3 interests me on the iPhone front. The AppleTV doesn't do anything my Xbox won't do with netflix, the iPhone updates are laughable because not everyone owns an AppleTV, and there are some very basic things still missing from iOS. I've written more than a few emails over the past year or so asking why they aren't including alot of basic features and haven't seen anything other than the iPad switch getting any attention from Apple. I'd much rather not have to wonder whether my phone made a noise than being able to share my 30 KBs EDGE Internet with someone who doesn't pay my bill.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    (cough).. custom SMS tones.? (cough)
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

A much easier way would be to use garage band to create the ringtone and it will export it to the itunes ringtone directory...

An even easier way would be for the user to do it themselves in the phone like every other phone manufacture does. This has been a feature of Nokia for years. I just wish I could do this on my iPhone without all of the syncing and connecting gymnastics involved.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

2-5 are easily solved via jailbreak apps. I believe the solutions are free but I might be wrong, haven't checked to see what I have installed in awhile. Even then they probably won't cost more than a dollar or two. Still baffles me why indicator tones are still decided by apple after 4 years, 4 hardware revisions and almost 5 major OS releases. There is nothing hard about adding the ability to change notification tones. Since Apple is the de facto leader in the mobile OS market, I'm sure they have an engineer that could cook this up in a day or so, jailbreak devs do so why can't they? Nothing in 4.3 interests me on the iPhone front. The AppleTV doesn't do anything my Xbox won't do with netflix, the iPhone updates are laughable because not everyone owns an AppleTV, and there are some very basic things still missing from iOS. I've written more than a few emails over the past year or so asking why they aren't including alot of basic features and haven't seen anything other than the iPad switch getting any attention from Apple. I'd much rather not have to wonder whether my phone made a noise than being able to share my 30 KBs EDGE Internet with someone who doesn't pay my bill.

Best post ever. It is begging to get a bit frustrating with Apple, being completely annoyed with some of the more basic things. How about a customizable home screen? Is that too much to ask? Why have to go to an app for weather, or upcoming schedule? The sad thing is, these apps are available via Jailbreak so they are surely easy for Apple to program, but they won't.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    Yawn..and this SMS alert setting is news? How long will it be before the relatively primitive notification system is upgraded so it's not so ridiculously intrusive?

I find the snails pace at which Apple continues to add features in annoying.

How long will it be before additional voice control is supported for email, texts etc?

How long before there is a basic rules engine so a user can customize/automate a response to filtered incoming calls, messaging?
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

My most wanted features.

Being able to have Basic Profiles in settings (eg. Save Battery which would toggle off locations services, notifications etc.) . Its pretty basic stuff. And how about making it all controllable by voice command?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

Yawn..and this SMS alert setting is news? How long will it be before the relatively primitive notification system is upgraded so it's not so ridiculously intrusive?

I find the snails pace at which Apple continues to add features in annoying.

How long will it be before additional voice control is supported for email, texts etc?

How long before there is a basic rules engine so a user can customize/automate a response to filtered incoming calls, messaging?

Agreed. As far as all that goes, why in the world can we not block callers straight from the phone? After going through family problems and having to block someone with iBlacklist from Cydia, it's crazy I can't block a caller from my phone directly. Much handwringing and many frustrated calls to AT&T we got everything straightened out, but it was much easier straight from the phone. Apple is doing great things with iOS but it seems they are focusing on those and neglecting very basic features. the notification system has got to go, if it's not fixed by iOS 5 I'm gone to another platform. The most frustrating thing about iOS is having to switch apps just to tell someone 'yes' or 'no' and the fact my phone comes to a grinding halt because I get more than one notification and no option to just make the noise and let me check them later. Steve went on about not needing a task manager, well what's having to dismiss a handful of alerts that stop everything I'm doing and not allowing me to ignore them? That seems like managing a task to me!
  • Reply 78 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That's good news. I'd rather my iPhone only alerted me once.

Hail for that good news.. !