iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android on Verizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Verizon knew this. This is big incentive for Verizon to get iPhone asap.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Daniel. How do you post so much incorrect information and not care that you did it?

EVDO 1mbps? Do a little due diligence dude.

Even wikipedia, "up to 3.1 Mbit/s with Rev. A. The reverse link rate for... Rev. A can operate at up to 1.8 Mbit/s."

I routinely get 2mbps down, 1mbps up on my supposedly slow Verizon 3G connection. And it works everywhere, not just in some spots in some major metro areas.

AT&T 3G performance in my area is much worse due to marginal coverage.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Did you notice the title? It?s Android on Verizon. Which of the phones you mentioned from CES are on Verizon right now?.

How many iPhone's are on Verizon right now?
  • Reply 24 of 101
    Well written and took a lot of time, but misses in a few areas. It also appears to be painting a rosy picture for Apple focusing on android's weaknesses. Remember, Android is experiencing phenomenal growth while ios is not. As stated in comments above, the post discusses what's coming from Apple, but ignores upcoming Android releases. Will a Verizon release help ios numbers? Sure. Will it turn the tide? Absolutely not.

In 2011, I predict Verizon will sell 40% iphone vs 60% Android devices, absolute best case for Apple. As for ATT, 35/65 advantage to iphone. In fact, ATT's monthly sales ratio at the end of the year will start to balance out while Verizon will always be Android dominated. Apple may appear to be catching up during the first month of each iphone release, but will be overpowered the rest of the year. Anyone who thinks Verizon's apple/android ratio is going to match ATT's current ratio would be naive.

Disclaimer: Long time Apple customer and ipod touch owner, but opted out of the ios ecosystem. Resistance began with DRM in itunes, proprietary cables/interfaces, locked down OS, and draconian app store.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

WTF? Is there some alternate headline some of you are reading? What part of "iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android on Verizon” is confusing? What unknowns about the iPhone 4 are questionable here? Do you really think that it won’t be on Verizon at the prices they stated on the dates they stated? Do you think Apple is pulling some fast one with the components in the iPhone 4 CDMA? Is really that hard to see this is a comparison of what the iPhone 4 on Verizon will be up against come February 10th? Why is that not a valid comparison?
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Quote:

Pretty persnickety.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

As stated in comments above, the post discusses what's coming from Apple, but ignores upcoming Android releases.

As stated in the comments above, if you have any real information about upcoming Verizon phones then post it. The fact is the information isn?t nearly as in-depth or well known, and likely to change.

Quote:

In 2011, I predict Verizon will sell 40% iphone vs 60% Android devices, absolute best case for Apple. As for ATT, 35/65 advantage to iphone.

What is it now? anyway, that seems very high in Apple?s favour. I can?t imagine Apple take 40% of all smartphone sales and leaves 60% to all other smartphone vendors. Between HTC, RiM, Samsung, and Motorola that is a 15% average between them. If Apple did get that best case scenario that would probably be about 70% of all smartphone profits based on my calculations. That seems about 15-20% too high.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    In my opinion, an article of this length should touch on 'announced' upcoming releases.

Quote:

WTF? Is there some alternate headline some of you are reading? What part of "iPhone 4 and iOS vs. Android on Verizon? is confusing? What unknowns about the iPhone 4 are questionable here? Do you really think that it won?t be on Verizon at the prices they stated on the dates they stated? Do you think Apple is pulling some fast one with the components in the iPhone 4 CDMA? Is really that hard to see this is a comparison of what the iPhone 4 on Verizon will be up against come February 10th? Why is that not a valid comparison?

• Reply 29 of 101
    Oh I'm saying smartphone sales during the year will be 4 iphones for every 6 android phones, leaving RIM etc out of the equation.

Quote:

As stated in the comments above, if you have any real information about upcoming Verizon phones then post it. The fact is the information isn?t nearly as in-depth or well known, and likely to change.

What is it now? anyway, that seems very high in Apple?s favour. I can?t imagine Apple take 40% of all smartphone sales and leaves 60% to all other smartphone vendors. Between HTC, RiM, Samsung, and Motorola that is a 15% average between them. If Apple did get that best case scenario that would probably be about 70% of all smartphone profits based on my calculations. That seems about 15-20% too high.

• Reply 30 of 101
    I considered waiting for the Verizon iPhone but instead broke down and bought the HTC Droid Incredible. I can't say that I like it more than my friends' iPhones, but it certainly has its advantages (IMHO the notification system and the ability to upgrade to an extended battery are two key features that are not mentioned in your article).

I didn't expect your comparison to be completely without bias, after all, this is an apple fan site. However, there are some glaring inaccuracies on your comparison chart that you need to address. Namely, the Froyo update that Verizon rolled out for its Android phones allows models like the HTC Droid incredible to shoot 720p 30fps video and to run 802.11n (also note: AT&T has NEVER rolled out any OTA Android updates for their phones).
  • Reply 31 of 101
    dbcdbc Posts: 4member
    Your table only has one Android running 2.2, the rest are all back on 2.1. That says to me Verizon badly needs to refresh it's Androids. In the short term, Verizon will probably sell a lot of iPhones both to people who have been waiting for an iPhone on Verizon, and those who compare it phone-against-phone to an older Android. But I predict the newer Android phones are going to kick the iPhone around a bit when Verizon rolls them out.

In my case, I am stuck on Verizon because I need their coverage out in a place that only they cover. If the iPhone had been available two years ago, I'd have one -- as it is I've been carrying around a Verizon basic phone and an iPod touch. My wife had an iPhone, so i know the platform well, although I've never tried developing for it. Recently, she ditched her iPhone for an Android, and I've started developing for Android (nothing serious yet, just kicking tires). I think Android has the upper hand right now in terms of utility, features, flexibility, and available apps. The phone I want today is a recent Android, not an iPhone. The only two places where the iPhone wins is app store confusion factor and integration with OS X.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    Quote:

In my opinion, an article of this length should touch on 'announced' upcoming releases.

I think it would muddle the comparison. This is for people who are on Verizon or planning to move to Verizon and considering an Android-based phone or iPhone. As I stated above, I don?t think we can make the same comparison of the iPhone 4, and currently released Android phones on Verizon?s network as there isn?t enough data to make a comparison. I asked a previous poster if the real specs, prices, and release dates are known and got an odd reply that he wasn?t an ?insider?. I don?t know how to respond to that.
  • Reply 33 of 101
    http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...id=GVCmT9eCPl7

March first is the launch date. I dont know what that means I have never bought AT&T but that might just be preorder.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    Quote:

I think it would muddle the comparison. This is for people who are on Verizon or planning to move to Verizon and considering an Android-based phone or iPhone. As I stated above, I don?t think we can make the same comparison of the iPhone 4, and currently released Android phones on Verizon?s network as there isn?t enough data to make a comparison. I asked a previous poster if the real specs, prices, and release dates are known and got an odd reply that he wasn?t an ?insider?. I don?t know how to respond to that.

Right, I'm with you... actually I'd say this article is targeted at AppleInsider readers, as it should be, who have long since made up their minds which way they are going to go. It's a feel-good story, mostly :-). I used to think readers were 95% ios, but not so sure any more, based on comments.

As for upcoming Android LTE phones, I've seen preliminary data adequate for use here.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/10...-phone-lineup/

We know these 4 (Motorola, HTC, Samsung and LG) will be racing to be first to release and would expect the first to be not long after the iphone launch.
  • Reply 35 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phazelag View Post

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...id=GVCmT9eCPl7

March first is the launch date. I dont know what that means I have never bought AT&T but that might just be preorder.

This phone absolutely rocks. Question is, will Apple copy its functionality. We know they don't like copying. Might there be a 'Dumipad' with an iphone dock on the back?? I predicted this six months ago, still waiting.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    The Droid Incredible and EVO both have 802.11n WiFi. Also the Incredible does not have noise cancellation. As far as I know no currently shipping Android phone has built in noise cancellation. The Nexus has it but it was discontinued months ago and was never available on Verizon. On the same token the EVO is not available on Verizon either but the Droid2 is and is a great phone with a large screen and a built in GPU. Also the original Droid was also discontinued months ago.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

If you read the article is does note that Verizon highlighted 4G LTE Android phones, but that they're not due until the middle of the year. The article also does not speculate about what Apple might release, but sticks to what Verizon offers today.

Also, the charts detail when specific Android models were released. Many of them are newer than iPhone 4, yet don't offer the same quality or hardware features (less RAM, lower quality screens/cameras, missing software features).

If you want to hoot about Android vaporware, at least be sure to compare it to Apple fanboy fantasy speculations, because both are worth about the same until the products actually ship.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post

The Droid Incredible and EVO both have 802.11n WiFi. Also the Incredible does not have noise cancellation. As far as I know no currently shipping Android phone has built in noise cancellation. The Nexus has it but it was discontinued months ago and was never available on Verizon. On the same token the EVO is not available on Verizon either but the Droid2 is and is a great phone with a large screen and a built in GPU. Also the original Droid was also discontinued months ago.

Droid Incredible did not ship with 802.11n, and Verizon's specs indicate it does not have it. But HTC appears to have sent out an update that activated its n feature this summer.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    Quote:

Daniel. How do you post so much incorrect information and not care that you did it?

EVDO 1mbps? Do a little due diligence dude.

Even wikipedia, "up to 3.1 Mbit/s with Rev. A. The reverse link rate for... Rev. A can operate at up to 1.8 Mbit/s."

I routinely get 2mbps down, 1mbps up on my supposedly slow Verizon 3G connection. And it works everywhere, not just in some spots in some major metro areas.

AT&T 3G performance in my area is much worse due to marginal coverage.

The maximum theoretical throughput listed in Wikipedia for anything is nowhere near close to actual throughput. So rather than listing the theoretical speeds that people don't actually see, it's reporting the speeds users commonly get. CDMA Rev A in most places in general conditions offers about 1Mbps throughput. Google it.

Similarly, while AT&T promises 7.2Mpbs, it doesn't really deliver that. The WiMAX numbers presented are not the theoretical max either, but rather the mean numbers reported by users. Saying CDMA offers the same speed at WiMAX would not be accurate or honest. Neither would be saying that AT&T's network is exactly 2X as fast as Verizon. Even if you think Wikipedia says it.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    Quote:

This phone absolutely rocks. Question is, will Apple copy its functionality. We know they don't like copying. Might there be a 'Dumipad' with an iphone dock on the back?? I predicted this six months ago, still waiting.

Let me digress by noting hat is not a Verizon phone so it shouldn?t be in this comparison the OP first mentioned.. I don?t think they are making a CDMA version yet. Moving on...

That?s cool idea and it?s been around as long as Sci-Fi the question is how feasible it will be. This has always been the ideal tech of the future that never really happens because getting a fullsized device tends to be cheaper and faster.

But this does happen. We do use phones to do plenty of interneting these days. Even laptops, one too slow and too expensive are now the norm for a person buying a computer in many countries, even if they aren?t going to use as a portable device.

I wonder how the user experience will be. A successful product is technically being able to do something, but doing it well enough that satisfies the user. That said, I think Apple will be watching this closely. If this catches on they are in a fantastic position with OS X as it runs the same Darwin OS on Mac OS and iOS. Adding the drivers and the Mac UI to a pocketable device will be a cakewalk compared to the start from scratch effort Moto would have to use. Add to a potential future option of ?multiverse? App Store apps that you buy once for the Mac/iPhone/Touch/iPad.