Daily Show skewers AT&T over Verizon iPhone news

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    More than likely it was Alltel that offered 3G in your area.

Verizon's acquisition of Alltel is the reason their 3G coverage map has gotten so dense.

It was a great move on Verizon's part.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunderbird5 View Post

Verizon offers 3G in my area.

• Reply 122 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

More than likely it was Alltel that offered 3G in your area.

Verizon's acquisition of Alltel is the reason their 3G coverage map has gotten so dense.

It was a great move on Verizon's part.

With out trying to sound like someone out to prove other people wrong didn't AT&T buy out Alltel? We had an Alltell store that turned into an AT&T store. Just curious.

http://www.att.com/mergers/alltel/index.jsp
  • Reply 123 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

IMO, one of Apple's biggest problems is forming partnerships. The one with ATT has made them a laughingstock. And recently, they were running ads dissing Verizon for the inability to access data during calls. So much for multitasking...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post

I do find it interesting that people continue to complain about the AT&T network. It is the best network I have ever had and I live in a small town.

I live in Manhattan, and before that NJ. I could drive into the city on a Verizon mobile from NJ and never once drop a call enroute. With AT&T I am guaranteed to drop the call 4 times, every time on that same route, and sometimes 5. In Manhattan, I get CALL FAILURE frequently on the Upper West Side where I now live, and typically when I can least afford it (such as being on a call with a client) My girlfriend has yet to drop a call on her Verizon mobile in over a year which she uses extensively for work after having dropped the iPhone for too many call related issues

AT&T sucks. Just a sample of 1, but I fully concur with The Daily Show.
  • Reply 124 of 133
    By the way, isnt there always one sniveling poster who right about now proclaims that he too lives in Manhattan and that in 4 years of extensive use of the iPhone, he has yet to drop a call?

Let me call him now for what he is.. a liar
  • Reply 125 of 133
    In areas where Verizon and Alltel were the only competitors. For governmental approval of the deal Verizon had to sell those areas to AT&T so that there would be competition. Alltel and Verizon use CDMA technology, while AT&T uses GSM. It would take some time for AT&T to convert Alltel's CDMA towers to GSM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunderbird5 View Post

With out trying to sound like someone out to prove other people wrong didn't AT&T buy out Alltel? We had an Alltell store that turned into an AT&T store. Just curious.

• Reply 126 of 133
    I haven't found dropped calls to be the problem in New York. The problem is being able to make a call. If I'm on a call it rarely gets dropped. Its making the call in the first place that can be the problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hogan View Post

By the way, isnt there always one sniveling poster who right about now proclaims that he too lives in Manhattan and that in 4 years of extensive use of the iPhone, he has yet to drop a call?

Let me call him now for what he is.. a liar

• Reply 127 of 133
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Yea, I'm sure Daily Show viewers are all up to speed on our undeclared war in Pakistan where we're killing thousands of civilians a year.

People who get their "news" from TV are beyond hope. TV news is for entertainment purposes only, and I say this especially in regards to CNN, MSNBC and FOX?not Comedy Central.

The Daily Show was funny when the president had an 'R' next to his name. Now it's just lame. Maybe when O'blahblah gets the boot it'll be funny again.
  • Reply 128 of 133
    The problem isn't the iPhone. The problem is New York sucks. Period. EVERYthing there is a giant hassle. Using public transportation, cleaning streets of snow, picking up garbage, getting a job, walking on the sidewalk, driving a car, finding a parking space, eating a meal not prepared in a cockroach- & rat-infested kitchen, reading a newspaper not filled with self-serving drivel, etc.

Why would anyone possibly think using a stupid radio phone there would be any different? To think a buffoon who deliberately lives there wouldn't imagine his "life problems" important to the rest of the world is to not understand the mentality of the New Yorker. Everything is all about New Yorkers. They are what the universe was designed for, and they don't mind telling everyone how poorly the job was handled.
  • Reply 129 of 133
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

The problem isn't the iPhone. The problem is New York sucks. Period.

No, the problem is that Verizon is the incumbent landline carrier in New York --- which by definition means that Verizon has more manpower, more access to sewers, more fibers in the ground, more central stations, more lease agreements on top of office towers, more cell towers and they bought much more spectrum space for their home territory.

Cingular belonged to 2 southern bells --- so they have more of everything in the south.
  • Reply 130 of 133
    This isn't entirely true. Before AT&T and Cingular merged AT&T was still based in New York City.

AT&T still owns the long distance infrastructure it has been building in New York for the past century.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

No, the problem is that Verizon is the incumbent landline carrier in New York --- which by definition means that Verizon has more manpower, more access to sewers, more fibers in the ground, more central stations, more lease agreements on top of office towers, more cell towers and they bought much more spectrum space for their home territory.

Cingular belonged to 2 southern bells --- so they have more of everything in the south.

• Reply 131 of 133
    Quote:

This isn't entirely true. Before AT&T and Cingular merged AT&T was still based in New York City.

AT&T still owns the long distance infrastructure it has been building in New York for the past century.

AT&T was created from the merger of two southern bells --- BellSouth and SBC. AT&T is headquartered in Texas --- they moved from San Antonio to Dallas a couple years back.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-9979668-94.html
  • Reply 132 of 133
    You act as though a company cannot have its corporate headquarters in one city and not have a major offices and infrastructure in another city.

AT&T continued to own the infrastructure it has built in NYC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

AT&T was created from the merger of two southern bells --- BellSouth and SBC. AT&T is headquartered in Texas --- they moved from San Antonio to Dallas a couple years back.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-9979668-94.html

• Reply 133 of 133
    Quote:

You act as though a company cannot have its corporate headquarters in one city and not have a major offices and infrastructure in another city.

AT&T continued to own the infrastructure it has built in NYC.

You act as though you know which "AT&T" you are talking about. There are a few companies that carried the name AT&T at various times during the last 100 years.

You are talking about AT&T --- the long distance telecom company, which is a very very very very small company. If that AT&T has assets and infrastructure in New York --- it would be fiber optic cables running across the Atlantic Ocean to Europe.

The AT&T we know today is the really the creation of the merger between 2 baby bells --- SBC (Southwestern Bell which is headquartered in San Antonio) and BellSouth (which is headquartered in Atlanta). SBC the BIG "baby bell" swallowed the small AT&T --- and then SBC changed its own name to AT&T. Cingular was co-owned by SBC and BellSouth --- and Cingular was headquartered in Atlanta.