Consumer Reports offers scathing critique on Verizon iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 165
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I don't see this as scathing. All they said is that the phone is half way through it's life-cycle. I think Apple really should discount the phone for early adopters of the CDMA Iphone....since a new Iphone is right around the corner.
  • Reply 42 of 165
    CR trolling apple is getting old. CR released their video against iPhone 4 without scientific evidence, probably because they knew they would get a lot of eyeballs from poor sods who didn't know any better.

Now with this report, their intentions are quite clear. They only want eyeballs, and controversy is the best way to drum those eyeballs up.

Too bad, I really used to like CR, but this kind of reporting really strains my perseption of them as a quality resource for product opinions.
  • Reply 43 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

Do people really care what Consumer Report says about phones anymore?

I haven't seen anyone read a CR in a long, long time.
  • Reply 44 of 165
    Consumer Reports = clueless bafooons.
  • Reply 45 of 165
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Has Consumer Reports hired high school kids to write reviews now? Because their whole review is about a product that isn't even released yet and Apple hasn't officially announced a release date for the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 46 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Something strange is going on over at CR. They seem to have a bug up their a** over the iPhone. Someone earlier suggested that they didn't get the "donation" they hoped for from Apple. It sure seems like their could be something to that.

Either that or they just bought stock in ATT.
  • Reply 47 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Jun 2007: iPhone

Jul 2008: iPhone 3G

Jun 2009: iPhone 3GS (speed bump, same form factor)

Jun 2010: iPhone 4

Jun 2011: iPhone 4S (speed bump, same form factor)

Jun 2012: iPhone 5

The original iPhone and 3G share hardware, the 3GS is completely different hardware although it shares a form factor with the 3G. I would not speculate to what apple does model wise until they actually do it.
  • Reply 48 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

I haven't seen anyone read a CR in a long, long time.

I have a copy on the back of my toilet...I've use pages 1 thru 14 so far this month.
  • Reply 49 of 165
    the sad reality is that it appears Consumer Reports has become like a lot of television talk shows: a lot more helping friends and attacking enemies, rather than reporting on reality. very strange, and they have lost total credibility with this one, from my point of view. some big ego individuals have a beef with Apple and they are out to try to slow down the incredible momentum Apple has going into February... of course, they will fail again, but from a business point of view, Consumer Reports is making a big mistake in terms of their own relationship with their users... i guess all dinosaurs die hard...
  • Reply 50 of 165
    I'm with Vz currently, my contract is up and I'm fed up with my BB Storm. I currently own a 1rst gen Itouch, and absolutely love it. I plan on buying an Iphone for VZ, it's really just a matter of when.

I just read the CR report, and it reflects my thoughts fairly closely. I also read this http://gizmodo.com/5729273/dont-buy-...rizon-iphone-4 It's not just CR weighing in on this decision for VZ customers.

It amazes me that people, even here, deny the antenna issue. CR didn't design or build the Iphone. All they did is confirm reported design issues. Btw, interesting article on how that might be fixed with the VZ device http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=15

The real problem I see here is lack of information from Apple. If the consumer knew when Apple thinks the 4g version will be available, or if VZ will get an updated version in June, we would be able to make a more informed decision. Not telling us, to ramp up sales in the next month or two, is far worse than CR's review. Apple and VZ are both suspect to me right now.

I understand there are competitive concerns here, I also understand that any release schedule would be conjecture. Right now, CR (and others) are providing information to help my decision, Apple and VZ are not.

As to dropping CR subs, because they dare to criticize an Apple product, that's your loss. I use the information from CR on almost any purchase I make over $100. It's not the only reference, but it certainly helps. It easily saves me the yearly sub fee. Heck, it was part of the reason I bought an Imac for my wife and a Mac mini for my son.
  • Reply 51 of 165
    You're right in many ways, Daniel, but your aggressive tone cuts straight to the chase and misses out much of the exposition. Don't you think you should give yourself a little exposition time before you go for balls-to-the-wall rant?
  • Reply 52 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

I have a copy on the back of my toilet...I've use pages 1 thru 14 so far this month.

totally agree... what losers...
  • Reply 53 of 165
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

Do people really care what Consumer Report says about phones anymore?

Never did.
  • Reply 54 of 165
    This article is a scathing critique of CR's scathing critique.
  • Reply 55 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't see this as scathing. All they said is that the phone is half way through it's life-cycle. I think Apple really should discount the phone for early adopters of the CDMA Iphone....since a new Iphone is right around the corner.

I wasn't. It was straight-forward and factual, which I think is the problem many around here seem to have with it.
  • Reply 56 of 165
    Why do articles like this start somewhat reasonable, but towards the middle and end get complete and utterly biased with no backbone other than subjective data?

EDIT:

Please fix your charts again:

Droid Incredible doesn't have 16-bit screen, or a physical keyboard

Droid 2 Global has a 1.2GHz TI OMAP processor, has 8GB flash, 8GB SD

Droid X has 8GB flash, 16GB SD. Total 24GB
  • Reply 57 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JGator View Post

I'm with Vz currently, my contract is up and I'm fed up with my BB Storm. I currently own a 1rst gen Itouch, and absolutely love it. I plan on buying an Iphone for VZ, it's really just a matter of when.

I just read the CR report, and it reflects my thoughts fairly closely. I also read this http://gizmodo.com/5729273/dont-buy-...rizon-iphone-4 It's not just CR weighing in on this decision for VZ customers.

It amazes me that people, even here, deny the antenna issue. CR didn't design or build the Iphone. All they did is confirm reported design issues. Btw, interesting article on how that might be fixed with the VZ device http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=15

The real problem I see here is lack of information from Apple. If the consumer knew when Apple thinks the 4g version will be available, or if VZ will get an updated version in June, we would be able to make a more informed decision. Not telling us, to ramp up sales in the next month or two, is far worse than CR's review. Apple and VZ are both suspect to me right now.

I understand there are competitive concerns here, I also understand that any release schedule would be conjecture. Right now, CR (and others) are providing information to help my decision, Apple and VZ are not.

As to dropping CR subs, because they dare to criticize an Apple product, that's your loss. I use the information from CR on almost any purchase I make over $100. It's not the only reference, but it certainly helps. It easily saves me the yearly sub fee. Heck, it was part of the reason I bought an Imac for my wife and a Mac mini for my son.

What, seriously? Have you used an iPhone 4? I have one, and I have tried every single Kung-Fu, Death Grip, Vulcan Pinch that I could come up with, and nothing. I had an old iPhone 3G, and I managed to make it happen on that. I then decided to try it out on my boss's Droid, and low-and-behold, I got the same antenna issue.

I think that the whole Antenna issue may have been a first-run batch, or just slightly defective batch of iP4s out there. I am not saying that it isn't a problem with some, I just don't think it is as wide-spread as they like to say.

Also, if you like CR, that is fine. Their technology department is most of the time, just off base.
  • Reply 58 of 165
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Anybody who is basing their opinion of CR on Daniel's article without reading the actual CR blog entry is being SERIOUSLY misled by Daniel about what CR said.

First, it was a blog post, not an actual CR review or rating. Blogs are typically a little less formal and a bit more brash than other articles. Second, while yes I think the blog post was a bit more negative than I would have written it, it was no where near as vitriol filled as Daniel made it sound. I'm beginning to think that CR shot Daniel's dog or something. And finally, every fact in the CR blog post is true. Undisputably.

Do I disagree with CR's opinions and conclusions? Sure. But Daniel has apparently taken personal offense and has taken his lack of objectivity in his writting to a new low. He gives the worst of the anti-Apple, pro-MS PC journalists a run for their money.

• Reply 59 of 165
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

This just in: CR's latest issue critiques iPhone - some users experiencing nasty rash others report panties in a bunch.
  • Reply 60 of 165
    Why do people care what these or any reports/blogs say? Do you like your iPhone? Is it the best phone you've ever had? Then who cares what people say/write about it?