Consumer Reports offers scathing critique on Verizon iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 165
    Some of the language used by CR sounds just like what comes out of the mouths of my fandroid friends. The same ole song & dance. The screen is only 3.5 inches, it's not AMOLED, blah blah. 3G only blah blah. Really? You'll believe that if you think a phone is nothing more than the sum of its specs, which is the case for most commodity smartphones from Samsung, Moto, LG, HTC. Objective? They were only looking at how empty the glass is.

FAIL.
  • Reply 62 of 165
    So they are recommending to someone who needs a phone now to wait 6+ months to buy a new model right when it comes out? I think that Apple will keep the CDMA release cycle consistent, but even if they don't worse case you are on a three year old phone when it is time to replace. That means that you would be replacing an iPhone 3G in a few months. I kinda doubt I'll use their magazine to help me decide on anything else to buy based on their horrible judgement here.
  • Reply 63 of 165
    Yes CR is Evil. Everything Apple is flawless. Do you even think about what you are saying? I guess no one should expect anything negative at all to be said about Apple from Apple Insider. This is why I will never support Apple. If I wanted to join a cult I would read Dianetics instead of buying into Apple. You cult Apple folks will go the way of Heaven's Gate soon enough if you can't see the forest from the trees. Apple is crap, that is of course unless you need a product to hold your hand the whole time you use it.

PS: It's not just CR. Take a look at the news over the last few days. No one is raving about the iPhone. Androids and PC's win all day....the non-Apple-net has been screaming it for years.
  • Reply 64 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't see this as scathing. All they said is that the phone is half way through it's life-cycle. I think Apple really should discount the phone for early adopters of the CDMA Iphone....since a new Iphone is right around the corner.

You, nor consumer reports know that for certain. iPhone CDMA refreshes may happen every January...

For us to assume it is yearly in the summer is one thing, but for CR to make assumptions in what is supposed to be an objective, factual report is something else.

Sounds more like yellow journalism of a sort. Some people would pay to live in a world where iPhone never existed. There's a market for CR after all. \
  • Reply 65 of 165
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I wasn't. It was straight-forward and factual, which I think is the problem many around here seem to have with it.

Even if so, it would mean many current recommendations of Android handsets on verizon and sprint are lacking several of those factual, straight forward points.

Its the consistency that is the problem, not the actual words in that blog post.

In a complete vacuum, you are correct. But you have absolutely no perspective when you write that.

If you don't see that, your as biased as the author of this article on AI.
  • Reply 66 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dahench View Post

Yes CR is Evil. Everything Apple is flawless. Do you even think about what you are saying? I guess no one should expect anything negative at all to be said about Apple from Apple Insider. This is why I will never support Apple. If I wanted to join a cult I would read Dianetics instead of buying into Apple. You cult Apple folks will go the way of Heaven's Gate soon enough if you can't see the forest from the trees. Apple is crap, that is of course unless you need a product to hold your hand the whole time you use it.

Your post had some merit. Until you said "Apple is crap." At that point you were no better than any hardcore Apple fan - only rooting for another team.
  • Reply 67 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dahench View Post

PS: It's not just CR. Take a look at the news over the last few days. No one is raving about the iPhone. Androids and PC's win all day....the non-Apple-net has been screaming it for years.

And people like you who troll on apple fanboy sites are much more well adjusted?

LOL.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees.
  • Reply 68 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anhelo View Post

Why do people care what these or any reports/blogs say? Do you like your iPhone? Is it the best phone you've ever had? Then who cares what people say/write about it?

People care about the things they own.

Consumer reports seems to be overly opinionated lately. They are supposed to be rating quality not preferences. It is like consumer reports trashing a car because it is a sports car and they think everyone should drive minivans.
  • Reply 69 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Anybody who is basing their opinion of CR on Daniel's article without reading the actual CR blog entry is being SERIOUSLY misled by Daniel about what CR said.

First, it was a blog post, not an actual CR review or rating. Blogs are typically a little less formal and a bit more brash than other articles. Second, while yes I think the blog post was a bit more negative than I would have written it, it was no where near as vitriol filled as Daniel made it sound. I'm beginning to think that CR shot Daniel's dog or something. And finally, every fact in the CR blog post is true. Undisputably.

Do I disagree with CR's opinions and conclusions? Sure. But Daniel has apparently taken personal offense and has taken his lack of objectivity in his writting to a new low. He gives the worst of the anti-Apple, pro-MS PC journalists a run for their money.

QFT. I read the actual article and wondered what the hell AI was talking about.
  • Reply 70 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Even if so, it would mean many current recommendations of Android handsets on verizon and sprint are lacking several of those factual, straight forward points.

Its the consistency that is the problem, not the actual words in that blog post.

In a complete vacuum, you are correct. But you have absolutely no perspective when you write that.

If you don't see that, your as biased as the author of this article on AI.

So here we have post after post from AI readers who on the one hand claim to never look at CR, but the other seem to know precisely what CR puts in and leaves out of articles they've never seen. I believe I detect a miracle at work. Hallelujah!

I call BS. Because it is.
  • Reply 71 of 165
    God guys, I don't like the term apple fanboy, because I have two mac computers, but the comments from many of you here are akin to a bunch of blinded-by-religious-faith reborn christians talking about the rest of the world like some empire controlled by a satanic force or something.

Just for the record, didn't Consumer Reports NOT give iPhone4 the recommended sign because of the signal issue? So how could that possibly be "the highest ranking for a phone"?

That was a month AFTER I returned mine for the same reason and side-graded to SGS, which I love.

Mark.
  • Reply 72 of 165
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Clearly, nobody important at Consumer Reports has either had to suffer with dropped calls or (like me) a patent inability to get a decent 3G signal via AT&T. But CR is like the Rock Kenwell of the consumer world, there always seem to be enough people who don't realize they should be wary and questioning of motive, and instead put their full faith in trust in whatever they read.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Daniel, your argument would hold more water if your very disposition didn't sound biased to begin with. And I don't mean this story, but every story you write. It's like you have your agenda before you set out to write your "report".

Daniel is a really bright guy, but he certainly didn't take Journalism from the same profs I did! (If he took it at all.)

FWIW, here's his personal website, if you haven't seen it yet.
  • Reply 73 of 165
    Aside from a few niggly spelling errors in your article (it can happen to the best of us), there is some important information that's just plain wrong.

In your comparison tables "Iphone 4 vs. Android," - you report the Droid X, Droid 2 as coming with 512m/8GB when, in fact, these phones as well as the original Droid - come with 512/16GB.

I think this is a rather important point when comparing phones.

Thanks for letting me post.

WR
    [/SIZE]
  • Reply 74 of 165
    Quote:

So here we have post after post from AI readers who on the one hand claim to never look at CR, but the other seem to know precisely what CR puts in and leaves out of articles they've never seen. I believe I detect a miracle at work. Hallelujah!

So here is a really funny perspective, you seem to be under the delusion that AI readers are one entity.

You do realize that when several other posters claim to not care about CR, or cancel thier subscriptions, that this does not aply to me, having not been one of them, right?

You call BS on what?

You ignored my point and spit out what literally is utter nonsense in your response.

I mean in all honesty your response makes absolutely no sense.

I mean what are you insinuating, that there is no way a person here actually reads reviews of smartphones other than iphones?
  • Reply 75 of 165
    Quote:

Yeah, right. I'm supposed to pay good money to that cr** outfit so I can see the full article?

I call BS on you! Post it here for all to see WITHOUT having to join CR first, or shut your pie-hole.
  • Reply 76 of 165
    Am I reading correctly?? There are ZERO droid phones on verizon with front facing cameras??

That alone will lure thousands of customers.
  • Reply 77 of 165
    Consumer Reports is like a pessimist: it knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • Reply 78 of 165
    Unfortunately Consumer Reports *is* taken seriously by the mainstream press, who routinely refer to it as a judge of record on any number of products and services -- this despite the fact that, as Apple Insider just devastatingly revealed (not for the first time), CR doesn't seem to care at all about facts.

What I'd like to know is, what tech stock holdings do the CR editorial staff have?
  • Reply 79 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Yeah, right. I'm supposed to pay good money to that cr** outfit so I can see the full article?

I call BS on you! Post it here for all to see WITHOUT having to join CR first, or shut your pie-hole.

So if you don't know anything, you can claim whatever you like? Gaining knowledge might require effort, and will probably just get in the way of having an opinion, so best to avoid it. The perfect argument for the superiority of ignorance.

BTW, reading the "full article" is free. But you will have to click a link. Please try not to over-exert yourself.
  • Reply 80 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

Something about Consumer Reports referring to the iPhone as "middle aged" is quite amusing. I mean, their reports on new-fangled gizmos like "clothes-washing machines" and "electric ice-boxes" are handy, but they just don't seem to have kept up with what the kids like these days.

LOL. It's been on the market six-months. That's middle-aged? In Microsoft Kin years, that's more than a lifetime!