Apple's iOS 4.3 beta suggests next-gen GPU for upcoming iPad, iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Evidence hinting that Apple is preparing to upgrade the graphics processor on its iOS devices to the OpenCL-capable PowerVR SGX543 from Imagination Technologies has been found in the iOS 4.3 beta.

Apple has been using Imagination Technologies' older PowerVR SGX535 GPU since the iPhone 3GS, eventually including the GPU on the custom Apple A4 System on a Chip (SoC).

In 2008, AppleInsider broke the news on a secret licensing deal with Imagination. Apple was also revealed to have purchased a 3 percent stake in the firm. In 2009, Apple increased its holdings in the company to 9.5 percent.

MacRumors reported Friday that references to the next-generation PowerVR SGX543 have been found in the iOS 4.3 beta. According to the report, the upcoming version of iOS contains a driver bundle for the next-generation SGX543.

The SGX543 can push 35 million polygons per second at 200 Mhz and 1 billion pixels per second and is capable of handling Apple's OpenCL standard. The GPU also supports multi-core configurations.

Apple released the beta version of iOS 4.3 on Wednesday, with support for Personal Hotspots and a "Find My Friends" feature.

Reports on Apple's plans for the future versions of the iPad and iPhone have picked up steam this week. Earlier Friday, a Hong Kong-based newspaper reported that the iPhone 5 could sport a new Apple-developed processor, reportedly called the A8, and a Qualcomm baseband.

Engadget is reporting that Apple plans to release a dual GSM-CDMA iPhone and an iPad with a high-resolution screen, front and rear cameras and an SD card slot. According to the report, Apple's next-generation devices will sport a new A5 CPU (Cortex A9-based, multi-core chip).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    iPad probably stands to benefit the most from any GPU upgrade. Phone side, right now with (what is reported to be a single core A8) A4 chip and current GPU I have not had even a hint of a hiccup on any of the games I've played. The video and animations are super smooth as well.

Of course future proofing the next version of iPhone is good idea, seeing how other manufacturers are introducing tegra 2s and dual core ARMs inside their phone, but right now I am perfectly happy with current hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    PICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NCF!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard rumors about PICO projector on Ipad 2 and Iphone 5.

One sure thing is- something called NCF( Near Communication frequency) chips into iphone and ipad to play your movie from those devices on tv by just proximate location of device.

Iphone will work as for payments on gas stations, stores, Printing boarding pass, emails, opening locks, synching to your computer-Just by Waving the phone within 4 centimeters.

One sure bet is Apple buying in to TIktok design concept(chicago) and making wearable devices with solar cells.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...ting-engineer/
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiphilly View Post

Iphone will work as for payments on gas stations, stores, Printing boarding pass, emails, opening locks, synching to your computer-Just by Waving the phone within 4 centimeters.

Does anyone know how NFC actually work? Can some wise guy just brush next to my iphone on the train and grab my credit card info/conduct a transaction. Or do I need to be in a transaction app for this to happen?

Can someone grab my card info while the transaction is taking place, say walking closely by me while I am paying.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

One sure thing is- something called NCF( Near Communication frequency) chips into iphone and ipad to play your movie from those devices on tv by just proximate location of device.

NFC not NCF. It?s an initialism for Near Field Communication. The range is said to be only a few inches so your other devices won?t even know it?s there. Also, it?s not for streaming media, it?s for payments and other simple file transfers.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Does anyone know how NFC actually work? Can some wise guy just brush next to my iphone on the train and grab my credit card info/conduct a transaction. Or do I need to be in a transaction app for this to happen?

Can someone grab my card info while the transaction is taking place, say walking closely by me while I am paying.

It?s like BT, WiFi and other wireless communications. It has to enable a handshake. Of course, it?s possible a security hole could be found, but I doubt it?s anymore risky than using your card online or in a store where the number, date, CSC (3 digit code on back of cards) and, in the case of a local purchase, your signature can be stolen.

I gave this Wikipedia page a glance and it seems pretty accurate. At least enough to get you an idea of how it works and it?s secured.
    Your biggest risk is probably from the cards in your wallets with passive chips, but even then the risk is the same as above. It?s just not something I would worry about, though wallets, pocketbooks, and pockets made of radio-blocking material may just gain some traction. You can profit off fear.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

PICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NCF!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard rumors about PICO projector on Ipad 2 and Iphone 5.

One sure bet is Apple buying in to TIktok design concept(chicago) and making wearable devices with solar cells.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...ting-engineer/

1) NFC is not for streaming.

2) PICO would be a battery killer.

3) Wearable devices I'd rather doubt anytime soon.

You definitely have an active imagination, too bad it is not based on reality,
  • Reply 7 of 8
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

1) NFC is not for streaming.

2) PICO would be a battery killer.

3) Wearable devices I'd rather doubt anytime soon.

You definitely have an active imagination, too bad it is not based on reality,

I think NFC is a certainty this year. Pico technology is a certainty some time, this year or next.

( Android already has NFC)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It?s like BT, WiFi and other wireless communications. It has to enable a handshake. Of course, it?s inevitable a security hole will be found...

That's how I would have worded it...