Apple's iPhone 5 a GSM-CDMA world phone, iPad 2 to have SD card slot - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

I still don't think an SD slot is necessary or in Apple's interests, and I remain skeptical.

I think it makes a lot of sense. The iPad seems like it would be a good device to use to touch up photos. Pretty much every camera uses SD cards making an SD card slot an extremely convenient way to get photos from the camera to your iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    Two extern feature im after is the webcam and Sd card slot built in for me to give up my netbook
  • Reply 43 of 117
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Right now, the device is being tested discreetly by senior staff at Apple (strictly on campus only)," the report said.

time to send in jason chen in a ninja mask to steal another unit.
  • Reply 44 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiphilly View Post

One sure thing is- something called NCF( Near Communication frequency) chips into iphone and ipad to play your movie from those devices on tv by just proximate location of device.

Um, I believe it's called Near Field Communications (NFC)
  • Reply 45 of 117
    "Apple this year plans to release a completely redesigned dual GSM-CDMA iPhone" - Don't think so. A complete redesign on the scale they want couldn't happen. Retooling itself would take more time than the time it took them to redesign a CDMA board to fit the iPhone 4. The cost involved in a retool right now would raise the cost of the next gen more than anyone could afford.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    Questions:

Aren't the cell/baseband/whatever radios on cellphones just hardware chips?

If so, aren't they just another CPU-like device with, maybe, DSP-like devices to handle the signals?

Aren't these "chips" just running some software/hardware instructions to do their jobs?

OK!

What if I have these really powerful general-purpose computer (CPUs) and/or general-purpose graphics computers (GPUs).

Could these general-purpose chips be programmed to perform the same functions as the dedicated cell-radio chips?

I thought I read something like in the various RIM PlayBook announcements.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Questions:

Aren't the cell/baseband/whatever radios on cellphones just hardware chips?

If so, aren't they just another CPU-like device with, maybe, DSP-like devices to handle the signals?

Aren't these "chips" just running some software/hardware instructions to do their jobs?

OK!

What if I have these really powerful general-purpose computer (CPUs) and/or general-purpose graphics computers (GPUs).

Could these general-purpose chips be programmed to perform the same functions as the dedicated cell-radio chips?

I thought I read something like in the various RIM PlayBook announcements.

I think it?s more complicated than that. As you know, different chips are designed with a specific purpose to make them more efficient and completing their tasks and using power. I think we?ll more on SoCs that integrate cellular technologies which will reduce power usage and presumably increase performance, but they are still separate components within that system.

Qualcomm?s latest Sanpdragon design looks pretty impressive, but it?s not something I expect Apple to use.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it?s more complicated than that. As you know, different chips are designed with a specific purpose to make them more efficient and completing their tasks and using power. I think we?ll more on SoCs that integrate cellular technologies which will reduce power usage and presumably increase performance, but they are still separate components within that system.

Qualcomm?s latest Sanpdragon design looks pretty impressive, but it?s not something I expect Apple to use.

OK!

The qualcom chip is an ARM chip.

A variant supports both GSM and CDMA.

Qualcom is market capped at $84 billion.

What's complicated?
  • Reply 49 of 117
    I'm not really sure what the big deal is if the iPhone 5 is released in the summer and is a truly "global" phone supporting GSM/CMDA...

Verizon can simply make the current iPhone 4 their "entry" model and keep selling it at a reduced price. They can offer (as AT&T did when the iPhone 4 launched), a discount on upgrading to the new iPhone 5 (with an extension to your contract of course)...
  • Reply 50 of 117
    Quote:

OK!

The qualcom chip is an ARM chip.

A variant supports both GSM and CDMA.

Qualcom is market capped at $84 billion.

What's complicated?

Could you clarify your question?
  • Reply 51 of 117
    Quote:

Could you clarify your question?

Is there any way Apple could release a GSM./UTMS/CDMA/whatever universal iPhone this year?
  • Reply 52 of 117
    Quote:

Is there any way Apple could release a GSM./UTMS/CDMA/whatever universal iPhone this year?

Technically, yes. These have existed for years as an erroneously named “world mode” phone. But note that every single one of these phones on Verizon or Sprint only has a single UMTS band (2100MHz) while the iPhone 4 has 5 UMTS bands.

Could four more bands be added? Sure, as we’ve seen with Qualcomm’s Gobi chips.

Can this all fit into a phone? Absolutely, but that doesn’t mean it’ll fit into the iPhone the way Apple wants it to. You trim a little bit off that battery you can fit a lot more stuff. But is that worth it to Apple?

And what is the power efficiency and performance of these chips? Are they are good as the chips Apple has been using? Historically that hasn’t been the case but this tech does get better and chips combine into smaller and more powerful and more power efficient products every year. Eventually this will move from being possible to feasible.

But that’s not the only consideration. There are licensing fees here. Qualcomm’s outrageous fees are why W-CDMA was created and those fees are still pretty step from Qualcomm who is still a major patent holder. So if the cost not just to buy these chips, but to license them includes licensing CDMA and CDMA2000 from Qualcomm at a per unit (iPhone) percentage of each handset’s price then would making a ‘world mode” phone for, what, 100 million(?) customers over the next year make any sense when only 1/10th of them will even use the costly CDMA part of their phone?

Do people in Europe and elsewhere really want to have CDMA/CDMA2000 cost that is included into their iPhone when it will never get used? Can you make a smaller phone with battery life by making two separate units?

The bottom line: The iPad has a lot more room, a much larger battery and the Gobi cards that do support UMTS penta-bands are on half-sized mini-PCIe cards that are already slightly smaller than the mini-PCIe cards used in the current iPad. If Apple doesn’t use this tech in the iPad 2 then I think it’s safe to say that they won’t be using it in the next iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    Quote:

Quote:

Technically, yes.

Then, that's the story, isn't it? The earth just moved!

I appreciate all the points you raise below -- and the knowledge and reasoning that support them.

My point is that Apple is in a singular position to do this -- risks, costs, qualifications/limitations be damned!

I am betting that Apple will do it!

Quote:

Technically, yes. These have existed for years as an erroneously named ?world mode? phone. But note that every single one of these phones on Verizon or Sprint only has a single UMTS band (2100MHz) while the iPhone 4 has 5 UMTS bands.

Could four more bands be added? Sure, as we?ve seen with Qualcomm?s Gobi chips.

Can this all fit into a phone? Absolutely, but that doesn?t mean it?ll fit into the iPhone the way Apple wants it to. You trim a little bit off that battery you can fit a lot more stuff. But is that worth it to Apple?

And what is the power efficiency and performance of these chips? Are they are good as the chips Apple has been using? Historically that hasn?t been the case but this tech does get better and chips combine into smaller and more powerful and more power efficient products every year. Eventually this will move from being possible to feasible.

But that?s not the only consideration. There are licensing fees here. Qualcomm?s outrageous fees are why W-CDMA was created and those fees are still pretty step from Qualcomm who is still a major patent holder. So if the cost not just to buy these chips, but to license them includes licensing CDMA and CDMA2000 from Qualcomm at a per unit (iPhone) percentage of each handset?s price then would making a ?world mode? phone for, what, 100 million(?) customers over the next year make any sense when only 1/10th of them will even use the costly CDMA part of their phone?

Do people in Europe and elsewhere really want to have CDMA/CDMA2000 cost that is included into their iPhone when it will never get used? Can you make a smaller phone with battery life by making two separate units?

The bottom line: The iPad has a lot more room, a much larger battery and the Gobi cards that do support UMTS penta-bands are on half-sized mini-PCIe cards that are already slightly smaller than the mini-PCIe cards used in the current iPad. If Apple doesn?t use this tech in the iPad 2 then I think it?s safe to say that they won?t be using it in the next iPhone.

• Reply 54 of 117
    Quote:

Then, that's the story, isn't it? The earth just moved!

I appreciate all the points you raise below -- and the knowledge and reasoning that support them.

My point is that Apple is in a singular position to do this -- risks, costs, qualifications/limitations be damned!

I am betting that Apple will do it!

But they could have technically done this years ago, perhaps with the very first iPhone. So if technically being able to do something also meant one should do something then it would have a long time ago, hence there is no reason to believe that this is going to happen.

Same goes for LTE. Apple could technically add LTE to the next iPhone, but chances are it would have LTE. I didn?t see a single smartphone at CES that was the svelte size of the iPhone that had LTE. Also not the Qualcomm reference model previous linked doesn?t have LTE, yet they technically could have included it.
  • Reply 55 of 117
    Quote:

But they could have technically done this years ago, perhaps with the very first iPhone. So if technically being able to do something also meant one should do something then it would have a long time ago, hence there is no reason to believe that this is going to happen.

Same goes for LTE. Apple could technically add LTE to the next iPhone, but chances are it would have LTE. I didn’t see a single smartphone at CES that was the svelte size of the iPhone that had LTE. Also not the Qualcomm reference model previous linked doesn’t have LTE, yet they technically could have included it.

You are right... being technically possible is not the justification.

They are in an unique strategic position to do this!

Company A says to every customer in the world: "I have some [necessary] devices that will work on whichever communication facility you chose to use. They are superior in quality/support, easier to use and competitively priced" .

Consider the implications.
  • Reply 56 of 117
    I think the total redesign could have to do with LiquidMetal license Apple acquired. Specifically the improved robustness and reduced manufacturing costs of the case with this new material.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    iPhone 4 would take up the small form factor and evolve from there. In fact I could see iPhone 4 shrinking a bit in size. Apple would the be marketing an iPhone Mini and an iPhone Maxi.

I just see it as being in Apples best interest to have more than one form factor. Sooner or later people will get tired of the same form factor. Plus in my case I could really benefit from a larger screen.

As to all this talk about A5 as an Apple designator for it's next SoC let's not covet that ARM has a Cortex A5 core coming that might make sense in iPhones. It would be lower power than an A9 based solution and possible more suitable for "phones". I don't really think it is written in stone that iPhones will go Cortex A9. Especially if Apple optimizes for a tablet device.
  • Reply 58 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Retina display for a 10" screen?

NOT Retina. Higher res, but not Retina. Go back and read that part carefully.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by squareback View Post

I think the total redesign could have to do with LiquidMetal license Apple acquired.

It could be involved in some way, but don't expect an outer case made of LiquidMetal. Graphite, maybe. Thing is, LiquidMetal isn't necessarily lighter than, say, aluminum. It has other desirable attributes, but lack of weight is not necessarily one of them.

I'm looking for LM to, for instance, form a laptop hinge without an actual hinge. Or to form a previously-impossible-to-manufacture part that's inside a device (and therefore not seen by the average consumer). Or maybe even a sturdy but light frame that would enable a solid-feeling case made of an ultralight material.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    If the iPad gets a retina display and an SD card slot it really would be a hugely improved product. The current screen is pretty weak, especially when compared to the iPhone 4, and the lack of an SD slot is just baffling. Hopefully Apple won't just lock it down to photo viewing though and will allow it to be used as a general dumping ground for video, docs, and anything else useful. It's an important step towards making the iPad more of a computer than a giant iPod Touch.

A multi-core CPU, better GPU, and more RAM (1gb please!) would also go down very nicely indeed.
  • Reply 60 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu

making the iPad more of a computer than a giant iPod Touch

The last thing Apple wants is to make the iPad "more of a computer". If anything, they want it to be LESS "of a computer". But I think your meaning might be that the device should be more powerful, more capable, and more differentiated from an iPod Touch. And I think that is their goal.