Consumer Reports offers scathing critique on Verizon iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 121 of 165
    Sounds like someone at CR is shorting Apple. Lots of luck!
  • Reply 122 of 165
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 123 of 165
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Daniel, your argument would hold more water if your very disposition didn't sound biased to begin with. And I don't mean this story, but every story you write. It's like you have your agenda before you set out to write your "report".

Ever since you wound up with egg on your face over the iPhone 4 antenna non-issue you have turned into an Apple hating troll like iLiver and his various sock puppets. Any article that doesn't put negative spin on Apple now pisses you off. The website is named AppleInsider. It is an Apple centric website, not an Android apologist site. When did Daniel ever claim to be an unbiased journalist? He presents his biased opinion about Apple and we all know it. Ever check in with a Windows or Android website? Ever see them praising OS X or the iPhone? If I want to read about how evil and bad Apple is, or how glorious and superior Android is, I'll trudge on over to one of those sites. Maybe you should too. Your bitterness has consumed you. Move on to a site that reinforces your anti-Apple bias. You'll be much happier. The rest of us will be too.
  • Reply 124 of 165
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AAPLforLife View Post

After the way Consumer Reports was so crazy over the antenna issue I canceled my subscription immediately. This abuse is even worse. Vote with your dollars. Hit them where it hurts!

It's best for your kind to spend your allowance on comics anyway.
  • Reply 125 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waveripper1 View Post

Aside from a few niggly spelling errors in your article (it can happen to the best of us), there is some important information that's just plain wrong.

In your comparison tables "Iphone 4 vs. Android," - you report the Droid X, Droid 2 as coming with 512m/8GB when, in fact, these phones as well as the original Droid - come with 512/16GB.

I think this is a rather important point when comparing phones.

Thanks for letting me post.

WR
    [/SIZE]

Thank you for writing your post in such large letters. I've misplaced my glasses this morning, and yours is by far the most readable post in the comments section. :P

C
  • Reply 126 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But when MacGyver uses duct tape it?s cool?

PS: Little known fact: "duck tape" is just as valid a term and probably predates the tape being used for ducts or named duct tape.

"Probably" is not a fact filled word. More like conjecture or speculation. Duck/t tape: SRS BZNS

C
  • Reply 127 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Pros use gaffers tape, b/c it doesn't leave a residue when you remove it.

Military uses 100 Mile Per Hour tape, cause it has a cooler name, and is Olive Drab.

C
  • Reply 128 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

Do people really care what Consumer Report says about phones anymore?

NOPE, since 5 years ago.. I quit my subscription then.
  • Reply 129 of 165
    I think the more important thing to consider here, instead of whether CR's informal blog is rigorously fact based or simply an opinion column (I don't think there's really that much room for argument on that count), is whether they should even HAVE such an informal aspect to their publications at all. Their reputation is (at least purportedly) built upon being objective, yet they have embraced the opinion blog as a tool with which to break into the internet age. I think it does them a disservice. The two goals, being credible and being hip, are unfortunately somewhat mutually exclusive. In trying to reach both at the same time, they fall short on both counts. Personally, I feel they ought to stop trying to be cool or trendy, and just stick with the important role that they used to fill.

Not that I'm ever going to buy a copy of their print magazine again.... but you know, SOMEONE might. >.>

C
  • Reply 130 of 165
    [QUOTE=JGator;

As to dropping CR subs, because they dare to criticize an Apple product, that's your loss. I use the information from CR on almost any purchase I make over $100. [/QUOTE]

I think that CR is suspect because they don't treat One vendor (apple) in the same way they treat the other smartphone vendors. In my mind that makes CR suspect in when reviewing other types of products. So why buy the subscription?
  • Reply 131 of 165
    I am disheartened to see Consumer Reports devolve as it has with such blatantly unbalanced remarks regarding the iPhone 4. Up until this year, I had always thought well of the publication.

On the bright side, I very much appreciate AppleInsider's even-handedness in it?s reporting of Consumer Report's writing.
  • Reply 132 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I second the motion that Daniel is incredibly bias and just pissed off that anyone would have something bad to say about his poor beloved iphone.

Fans site, article written from an Apple perspective: Shocking!
  • Reply 133 of 165
    I just had to send this email to CR after reading DED's post:

It is quite evident to any person of even modest intelligence that Consumer Reports opinions on Apple's iPhone 4 are deeply compromised by corruption. I can think of no other reason why the recent blog coverage of the Verizon iPhone and iPhone screen sizes etc. have been so blatantly dishonest and void of any mention of phones that are far worse than than the criticisms being levelled t the iPhone. Where is the payola coming from? Microsoft? Google? Samsung? HTC? Motorola?

CR is doomed to becoming suspect and thus irrelevant as a source of unbiased research commentary.

This is such a pity. Shame on CR.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._iphone_4.html
  • Reply 134 of 165
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ever since you wound up with egg on your face over the iPhone 4 antenna non-issue you have turned into an Apple hating troll like iLiver and his various sock puppets.

Life is not that black and white, mate. Ambiguity resides in every corner. I admit I was wrong about the size of the iPhone 5 issue, but as a potential buyer upgrading from first get I was over zealous in my opinion. I admit I was wrong, get over yourself.
  • Reply 135 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berp View Post

I understand, neither did I ever mention yours...

Your point might be taken had you not quoted back my post in your reply.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Have you ever seen an exception to that pattern in this forum?

Any time the press says anything other than "Steve Jobs is the second coming of Christ" you can expect to find conspiracy theories and accusations of fraud here within 20 posts.

Not often, but the reactions to any CR comments about an Apple product that aren't 100% praiseworthy are reliably over-the-top. They pin the righteous indignation meter. It's weird and consistently so. AI seems to get a real giggle out of fanning those particular flames.

I heard a Verizon iPhone story on NPR this morning that annoyed me far more than anything CR said in their blog article. I thought the premise of the analysis was in error. I doubt that one will be discussed here at all, let alone with the fervor which motivates the CR hit squad.
  • Reply 136 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waveripper1 View Post

Aside from a few niggly spelling errors in your article (it can happen to the best of us), there is some important information that's just plain wrong.

In your comparison tables "Iphone 4 vs. Android," - you report the Droid X, Droid 2 as coming with 512m/8GB when, in fact, these phones as well as the original Droid - come with 512/16GB.

I think this is a rather important point when comparing phones.

Thanks for letting me post.

Actually the Motorola tech spec page lists Droid X as having 8 gb on board and 16 gb sim card. So it has 8 gb for apps and 16 gb for data, at least that is how I read it.
  • Reply 137 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Life is not that black and white, mate. Ambiguity resides in every corner. I admit I was wrong about the size of the iPhone 5 issue, but as a potential buyer upgrading from first get I was over zealous in my opinion. I admit I was wrong, get over yourself.

Takes a real man to admit he was wrong. Unless he was actually right. In which case he would be wrong in his admission, and would go without admitting that he was wrong about when he was wrong, when he was actually right. And that's just wrong.

C
  • Reply 138 of 165
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Your point might be taken had you not quoted back my post in your reply

Your point might be taken had you not quoted back my post in your reply.
  • Reply 139 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes, the double standard. The almost-hilarious-if-it-wasn't-so-sad part is, they're making exactly the same observations we hear every day from posters on this board -- about AT&T, about Verizon's network, about simultaneous voice and data, about the minimal changes to the phone, tiered data plans... you name it.

You're ignoring a tiny detail: CONTEXT.

It's one thing, when commenting on the iPhone's release on Verizon, to point out Verizon's flaws vs. AT&T's. It's quite another thing to point to those flaws as reasons not to recommend buying an iPhone, while failing to note that the same flaws apply to every other phone on Verizon's network, thereby providing an implicit and undeserved endorsement to iPhone's competitors.

Likewise, it's fine to comment that some users experienced "antenna issues" with the iPhone 4. However it's either misinformed or misleading to do so without acknowledging that all phones suffer from these issues in one way or another and that the overwhelming majority of iPhone 4 owners are immensely satisfied with their purchase.

It's fine to warn prospective iPhone buyers that a newer model is likely months away and they should consider that when making a purchase decision - but only if you also provide the same warning for folks considering other mobile phones which are also to be replaced in the near future. And it's downright incompetent or ethically suspect to do so without mentioning the fact that Android phones are tightly controlled by the wireless carriers, who lock them down to prevent their owners from even upgrading their software.

Consumer Reports is not necessarily saying anything that's inaccurate, but they are reporting half-truths completely out of context and making baseless and irresponsible recommendations.

Consumer Reports has always demonstrated a certain cluelessness about tech products, relying largely on published "specs" when recommending one over another without any attention to real world user experience. Case in point, their years of recommending WIndows PCs as better values than Macs. But throughout this time they at least appeared to be ethical, impartial and well-intentioned. Their recent behavior suggests they've been corrupted by commercial interests.
  • Reply 140 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JGator View Post

It amazes me that people, even here, deny the antenna issue. CR didn't design or build the Iphone. All they did is confirm reported design issues.

The real problem I see here is lack of information from Apple. If the consumer knew when Apple thinks the 4g version will be available, or if VZ will get an updated version in June, we would be able to make a more informed decision.

The point is not whether to deny or confirm the iPhone's antenna issue, but the fact that many have overstated its significance without doing any scientific testing compared to other cell phone models. Apple did just that in releasing test results of the iPhone 4 alongside other popular mobile phones - illustrating that they were all susceptible to antenna issues in one way or another - and that in many cases, the iPhone 4 performed more reliably than the others. In other words, it's a toss-up, and Apple was getting an undeserved bad rap just because they're Apple. The iPhone's overwhelming popularity and unmatched customer satisfaction levels speak for themselves.

Others, including Consumer Reports (make that ESPECIALLY Consumer Reports) should have kept their mouths shut until and unless they performed testing of their own under test conditions as elaborate as Apple's.

If you don't like Apple products or their history of under-promising and over-delivering, then don't buy their products - simple! But don't go around trying to give Apple advice on how and when they should communicate about future products. I find their practices quite refreshing in a world where other companies routinely brag about vaporware months or years in advance while consistently failing to deliver any quality products.