Stanford University

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I jus got my acceptance letter yesterday for Stanford Summer College for High School students.

I'm so excited to get accepted. Didn't really think I would. I've been wanting to go there for a couple years now and at least this will give me a taste of it.

Anyone go there or had gone there? Anyone near there? Anyone know what to expect or any tips?

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Congratulations!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    I got denied there (the bastards). I had the credentials, along with everyone else. Basically, if you're a white male, there are very limited spots open vs. the number of people who apply. I'd say you should go, because this would separate you from the rest of the people. Those types of colleges like the summer enrichment programs. They expect you not to have a life.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Actually, most of the summer programs I have seen at places like Harvard and the like are just ways for the school to make more money and they don't really care all that much about it outside of that...

As for Stanford, I know nothing about it.... A friend of mine got in there and is deciding between there and harvard... bastard...

Heh, im only kidding, I'm happy with BC...
  • Reply 4 of 39
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Damn DP's

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's not to far from me so I've been there a lot especially since both my older sisters went there. I'd say Stanford's atmosphere is much more relaxed than Berkeley's...and the campus reflects on it. It's much less urban and more open. Lots of open fields, the buildings aren't bunched up...and the capus is just plain huge. All the buildings are ranch-style, southwestern architecture. It's always warmer in the Stanford area vs other surrounding areas.

I don't know about the summer program, but as an undergraduate, you practically must own a bike.

Stanford is also very Mac friendly. They extend insitution educational prices to students, for example.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Majuki:

<strong>I got denied there (the bastards). I had the credentials, along with everyone else. Basically, if you're a white male, there are very limited spots open vs. the number of people who apply. I'd say you should go, because this would separate you from the rest of the people. Those types of colleges like the summer enrichment programs. They expect you not to have a life.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was told the same thing when I called for a summer job at SLAC. White male need not apply. Racist liberal ****ers. **** them. Fermilab was better. Did SLAC find the top? No.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    The race thing is highly subjective. As far as the undergraduate program is concerned, it fluctuates. One of my friends had a spotless transcript, played several musical instruments, was goalie on the varsity soccer team and center on the varsity basketball team, etc...got rejected, not even deferred when he applied early...he's Chinese. On the other hand, the year before and the after both saw two underperforming Hispanics accepted.

On the other hand, Stanford, like all schools is also going to give more consideration to applicants who have legacy status with the school...father, mother, grandfather who went there...plus household income seems to be a major factor too.

Also, while the class before mine saw 12 acceptances to Stanford, my class of of 55 students only saw 4 acceptances. I would say my class was much stronger academically.

Stanford's racial blindness is much better than the UC system's and Berkeley in particular. It's particularly bad here. My freshman year roommate thought bears and dogs were the same species. He asked me questions like "What state is Washington D.C. in?" but he was also valedictorian. He also drove a Jaguar...but he was Mexican.

Stanford is probably as good as any of the top 25 private schools in the nation in this regard.

I mean, sheesh, MIT is even worse..."Males need not apply."
  • Reply 8 of 39
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    What is the summer program?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I really don´t get this affirmative action thing (isn´t that what we are talking about?). When you are valued to a college or uni you should be assessed according to your ability to complete the education and what experience you have, not what bagground, colour or anything else you have. I would be royally pissed if someone who wasn´t as good as me was accepted and I wasn´t just because I didn´t belong to a certain group.

What about looking on the conditions in primary and secondary school and strive to give all kids the same opportunity there? I know it isn´t easy not even in a school system that try to be egalitarian as ours but it would be much more fair than something based on affirmative action-type systems. I would hate to be a white working class kid without parents with money.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>I really don´t get this affirmative action thing (isn´t that what we are talking about?). When you are valued to a college or uni you should be assessed according to your ability to complete the education and what experience you have, not what bagground, colour or anything else you have. I would be royally pissed if someone who wasn´t as good as me was accepted and I wasn´t just because I didn´t belong to a certain group.

What about looking on the conditions in primary and secondary school and strive to give all kids the same opportunity there? I know it isn´t easy not even in a school system that try to be egalitarian as ours but it would be much more fair than something based on affirmative action-type systems. I would hate to be a white working class kid without parents with money.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Racist!
  • Reply 11 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>

Racist!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. How is that for a liberal eurocommie scum, eh?
  • Reply 12 of 39

<strong>

Yes. How is that for a liberal eurocommie scum, eh?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anyone who questions the US version of AA is hood wearin' racist.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>

Anyone who questions the US version of AA is hood wearin' racist. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree you are a racist that believes in white supremacy. Most people are not like you however in that they are simply selfish.

College in the US is the most influencial way to effect a person's socio-economic status, breaking barriers for social and economic equality. Under priviledged minorities such as African Americans, Latin Americans and Native Indians are under known as under priviledged for a reason. Many consider these people as a cheap labor force to exploit and that is simply unacceptable. Most who are brave enough to attend college are first in their family to do so. Most come from very modest economic backgrounds.

Simply put, not enough under represented minorities are applying to college so colleges will accept whoever meets their baseline qualifications. I believe Stanford has a baseline of about 1200 on the SAT.

BTW, I can see there is ambivalence in colleges when it comes to AA. They accept wealthy and legacy children and yet "firmly" support AA?

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 39
    And you don't have to be a "minority" racially in many cases. If you are a minority socially and economically, then you also will under many college's and scholarship's AA policy.

An example of this is the Nation Action Council for Minorities in Engineering. I know several white people that have recieved full scholarhips from them because of their "moveable home that you can drag but sits in a park" background.

<a href="http://www.nacme.org"; target="_blank">www.nacme.org</a>

Their list of donors:

[quote]

Corporate Donors

*\tDrexel University

*\tWorldCom Foundation

*\tNASA: Glen Research Center

*\tAccenture

*\tCisco Systems, Inc.

*\tCitigroup Inc.

*\tExxon Education Foundation

*\tGE Fund

*\tIBM Corporation

*\tLehigh University

*\tNew Jersey Institute of Technology

*\tRensselaer Polytechnic Institute

*\tRochester Institute of Technology

*\tNational Science Foundation

*\tVerizon

*\tAT&T Foundation

*\tBP Amoco

*\tClarkson University

*\tDuPont Company

*\tFord Motor Company Fund

*\tGeneral Motors Corporation

*\tLucent Technologies

*\tRice University

*\tShell Oil Company Foundation

*\tSiemens Corporation

*\t3M

*\tXerox Corporation

*\tAlcoa Foundation

*\tBechtel Foundation

*\tBristol-Myers Squibb Company

*\tChevron Corporation

*\tConsolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc.

*\tEastman Kodak Company

*\tGoldman, Sachs & Co.

*\tLockheed Martin Corporation

*\tMerck & Co., Inc. Foundation

*\tMerrill Lynch & Co., Inc.

*\tSony USA Foundation Inc.

*\tTexas A&M University

*\tThe Boeing Company

*\tThe Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company

*\tThe Starr Foundation

*\tAbbott Laboratories

*\tAdvanced Micro Devices (AMD)

*\tAir Products & Chemicals, Inc

*\tAmeritech Corporation/SBC Foundation

*\tThe Barkley Fund

*\tThe Procter & Gamble Fund

*\tUnion Carbide Corporation

*\tUnited Engineering Foundation, Inc

*\tUnited Space Alliance

*\tADC Telecommunications

*\tAmerican Electric Power

*\tAtlantic Richfield Corporation

*\tAutomatic Data Processing, Inc.

*\tAvon Products Foundation

*\tBethlehem Steel Foundation

*\tCargill, Inc.

*\tCircuit City Foundation

*\tCompaq Computer Corporation

*\tCravath, Swaine & Moore

*\tDaimlerChrysler Corporation

*\tDominion Resources, Inc.

*\tHolnam Inc.

*\tJP Morgan Chase

*\tMedtronic, Inc.

*\tMorrison Knudsen Corporation

*\tNorthrup Grumman Corporation

*\tNorthwest Airlines, Inc

*\tNovartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation

*\tPACCAR Foundation

*\tPolytechnic University

*\tPPG Industries

*\tRaytheon Company

*\tRockwell International

*\tSchering-Plough Corporation

*\tSchlumberger

*\tTemple University

*\tThe Fluor Foundation

*\tThe Marmon Group, Inc.

*\tTRW Foundation

*\tU.S. Geological Survey

*\tXcel Energy

*\tAyers & Associates

*\tBayer Corporation

*\tBestfood Corporation

*\tCaterpillar Foundation

*\tEmerson Electric Co.

*\tGeneral Mills Foundation

*\tHess Foundation

*\tHoneywell International Foundation

*\tMotorola Foundation

*\tNewport News Shipbuilding

*\tPraxair Foundation, Inc.

*\tSAS Institute

*\tTexas Instruments

*\tThe Walt Disney Company Foundation

*\tUnisys Corporation

*\tAllegheny Power Systems, Inc.

*\tAspen Research Corporation

*\tATOFINA Chemicals

*\tAvnet, Inc.

*\tChampion International Corporation

*\tConsumers Union

*\tDeer Institute for Human Studies

*\tDentsu Institute for Human Studies

*\tEM Publishing Enterprises, Inc.

*\tEthyl Corporation

*\tFederal Communications Commission

*\tFilmTech Corporation

*\tFoundation of Litton Industries

*\tHoward University

*\tHowmet Corporation

*\tMassachusetts Institute of Technology

*\tMBNA

*\tMicrosoft Corporation

*\tNational Research Council

*\tNational Society of Black Engineers - Alumni Extension

*\tNational Starch and Chemical

*\tOccidental Petroleum Corporation

*\tOPTIMUS Corporation

*\tPanasonic Foundation

*\tPharmacia & Upjohn Foundation

*\tRohm and Haas Company

*\tSentek Corporation

*\tShomex Productions

*\tState Farm Insurance

*\tState University of New York

*\tTeijin America, Inc.

*\tThe Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art

*\tThe Millipore Corporation

*\tThornton-Tomasetti Engineers

*\tTommy Hilfiger Foundation

*\tToyota Motor Manufacturing North America, Inc.

*\tUniversity of Colorado, Boulder

<hr></blockquote>

• Reply 15 of 39
    If I grew up under exactly the same conditions as someone else that happened to be of Indian origin, why should that person have an advantage over me just because she is Indian? We had exactly the same possibility in our lifes!

Yes I know that groups of the population is disadvantaged but that isn´t gonna change because some individuals in that group gets a joker. It will never help the large base of the disadvantaged.

Two wrongs don´t make one right. Do something about the first wrong: Ensure that children doesn´t grow up in extreme powerty and the first ten years of education is of comparable same quality across the classes. You´ll be amazed how much a good school and great teachers can do for disadvantaged kids.
  • Reply 16 of 39

Ensure that children doesn´t grow up in extreme powerty and the first ten years of education is of comparable same quality across the classes. <hr></blockquote>

Republicans won't allow that.

So we skip to the next step...AA.

[quote]You´ll be amazed how much a good school and great teachers can do for disadvantaged kids.<hr></blockquote>

That's exactly the premise of AA. Most under priviledged and under represented minorities in the US have never has access to a good school and great teachers. College is college, and allowing access to a good college with great teachers is one of the steps to battle racism and inequality.

• Reply 17 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>And you don't have to be a "minority" racially in many cases. If you are a minority socially and economically, then you also will under many college's and scholarship's AA policy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What if I was beaten by my parents and was told constantly that I was shit? Would that also give me privilegdes?

We are all minorities of one and stuff like AA will always treat us like groups thus creating new unfair distinctions. As long as there is AA focus is taken away from the fundamental systematic unjustsness.

On another note: Even Adam Smith recognised that education should be free for everybody. Why you still have to pay for it some places in the world is beyond me.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>

Republicans won't allow that.

So we skip to the next step...AA.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

No you don´t. You fight for the first because AA will NEVER be able to help other than a minority within the minority. AA will always be an excuse for not doing What Should Be Done?.

You are sacrificing the large majority for a few selected.
  • Reply 19 of 39

What if I was beaten by my parents and was told constantly that I was shit? Would that also give me privilegdes?

<hr></blockquote>

You must be assertive enough to write that in your college application essay, stating how you overcame these challenges to be where you are now. Most colleges will accept you if you meet their baseline requirement in such cases.

You have to realize that many underpriviledged minorities are treated the same way socially and economically.

• Reply 20 of 39
    Affirmative action at the college level is a bit lame for a few reasons.

At that point, the prospective student is usually unable to handle the workload. Guess which ethnic groups have the most drop-outs at UC Berkeley...

Affirmative action should exist, but it shold also be racially blind. What happens when when a rich white boy and a rich black boy have identical transcripts and other merits? Affirmative action is not racially blind.

Affirmative action programs are better suited at the primary education level.

Affirmative action cost my friend his acceptance to Stanford...but it was the reason for another friend's acceptance...but he burned out and dropped out. They both lose under affirmative action.