Best Buy 'Coming Soon' iPad SKUs could point to next-gen Wi-Fi iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Best Buy has posted placeholder SKUs for 3 "Coming Soon" models of Apple's Wi-Fi iPad at prices of $599 and $699, possibly suggesting that retail channels are prepping for the release of the second-generation iPad expected this spring.

The listings on Best Buy's online store describe an "Apple Computer Inc. - Apple iPad SKU WiFi." Two of the SKUs have a $599.99 price tag, while one of the SKUs is priced at $699.99.

All six of the current-generation iPad models are still available from Best Buy's website. By way of comparison, the $699.99 64GB Wi-Fi first-generation iPad has a SKU of 9811424, while the similarly priced "Coming Soon" iPad has a SKU of 1945674.

Though the mystery iPad SKUs could hint at a next-generation tablet device from Apple, it should be noted that they could also be the result of an inventory error.

Recent reports suggest that the iPad 2 could have quadruple the resolution of the original iPad. The next-generation tablet will also reportedly have front and rear cameras and possibly an SD card slot.

Last March, AppleInsider reported that dummy SKUs for Apple products, possibly the iPad or new MacBook Pros, were showing up in Best Buy's inventory system.

Apple partnered with the retail giant last year, allowing 'most' Best Buy brick-and-mortar locations to offer the iPad at launch, though initial supply was limited. All Best Buy locations began carrying the iPad on Sept. 26.

Best Buy CEO Brian Dunn made waves last fall when he made comments suggesting that sales of some notebook models at Best Buy's stores were being cannibalized by as much as half. Dunn quickly retracted the comment, quipping that reports of the demise of netbooks "are grossly exaggerated."

According to Dunn's clarified statements, tablets like the iPad represents "an incremental opportunity" for Best Buy, while computers would "remain a very popular gift" for the 2010 holiday season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    I'm sure it's just a typo but it would actually double, not quadruple the screen resolution. 260dpi, to be exact. That'll work for me.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Best Buy's preparing for the next iPad... How Shocking!
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

I'm sure it's just a typo but it would actually double, not quadruple the screen resolution. 260dpi, to be exact. That'll work for me.

When you double both the horizontal and vertical resolution you effectively quadruple the number of pixels.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by denobin View Post

when you double both the horizontal and vertical resolution you effectively quadruple the number of pixels.

burn!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Could these simply be CDMA versions of the current iPad?
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

burn!

Although very adolescent, I have to admit it gave me a good laugh.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

Could these simply be CDMA versions of the current iPad?

Seriously? What are you smoking? Releasing a Verizon iPhone 6 months from the launch of iPhone 5 (pretty much guaranteed based on the last 3 launches being almost identical) was out of character.

With the iPad we are already past the initial announce date, 8 weeks from the initial "taking orders" date and less than 12 weeks from the first iPad's 1 yr anniversary. If you think this isn't for iPad 2 you no nothing of Apple or their work.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Kinda disappointing to me that these appear as if they're going to have the same price points. I was hoping we might see some price drops with the new generation.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattSTKC View Post

Seriously? What are you smoking? Releasing a Verizon iPhone 6 months from the launch of iPhone 5 (pretty much guaranteed based on the last 3 launches being almost identical) was out of character.

With the iPad we are already past the initial announce date, 8 weeks from the initial "taking orders" date and less than 12 weeks from the first iPad's 1 yr anniversary. If you think this isn't for iPad 2 you no nothing of Apple or their work.

Actually, I was just asking a simple question and by your response, I'm wondering what your smoking?
  • Reply 10 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm happy with my current iPad.

But I do want to upgrade my laptop.

When are the Sandy Bridge Macbook Pros coming?
  • Reply 11 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Ouch, back to school Think two dimensions.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Someone's head will roll for releasing pricing at this stage if this is accurate but I doubt Apple would share information with Best buy at this stage. Perhaps this is just a place holder in their database being set up but not containing accurate data yet.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattSTKC View Post

And you KNOW nothing of spelling.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How are they going to drive this display? It's powering so many pixels it may not be any faster than the first iPad at all. And these RAM increases will be mostly used by things iPad 1 doesn't even have. Discounting any semi-modest RAM increases. I hope A5 is a dual-core mobile ARM chip with 'serious' (yet efficient) graphics power, and iPad 2 has 1GB of RAM. A lot of unanswered questions remain.

I should be excited by a retina display on iPad 2, but I'm actually worried how well it will drive it - despite what Apple marketing says. That "amazingly-powerful" iPad 1 can't even keep even several windows open in its browser.

All this suggest iPad 2 won't be any lighter.

The iPad is 'both' the best and most annoying device ever made. A retina display would be amazing for the app we have planned, however.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesnforms View Post

actually, i was just asking a simple question and by your response, i'm wondering what your smoking?

crack..
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

Kinda disappointing to me that these appear as if they're going to have the same price points. I was hoping we might see some price drops with the new generation.

First generation will drop it's price. C'mon this is Apple we're talking about. If anything we might see a price increase. Starting price will probably be $599 for 32GB, no more 16.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Like the Mac minis, iPad prices go up $100 in the second year. \
  • Reply 18 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

That would be incredibly foolish.

Most of the competitors' tablets are supposed to be equal to or greater in price than the iPad - and almost all of them have half the screen area. Why in the world would Apple cut their price when they're already offering the best value, by far?
  • Reply 19 of 45
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    They might keep on with the present 16GB as a low end, and have these prices for the new one. They did it with the iPod touch with the old 8GB and new 32 and 64GB models.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

They might keep on with the present 16GB as a low end, and have these prices for the new one. They did it with the iPod touch with the old 8GB and new 32 and 64GB models.

Were it not for the fact that they're trying to push FaceTime, I might agree. However, I could see them dropping the 16GB WiFi 1st gen to $399 and have 32, 64, and 128GB new models above that. The biggest problem I see with lowering pricing is the bumping into the 64GB iPod Touch's $399 price point. I don't think they would do that except in the refurbished store.