Apple iBooks app indicates iPad 2 will quadruple resolution to 2048x1536

Comments

• Reply 101 of 187
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I thought we'd go down memory lane a little bit...

• Reply 102 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?d likely buy the expensive model just to get this display.

Even if the battery only lasted 9 1/2 hours?
  • Reply 103 of 187
    And from December 2009... When iPad frenzy was near its peak:

• Reply 104 of 187
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

Fair enough, i mean we all know what happened with the MS courier. I think google and honeycomb are a lot different, and they are not going to show vapour ware. If anything, we can bet that honeycomb will be better than the demo's at CES, and contain MORE cool things. But overall I agree, until we can put the iPad 2, a honeycomb tablet, and the playbook onto the same table as finished products, we won't know for sure. Right now apple hasn't played any of it's card, but RIM and Google have, so I think apple is in a really good position to take the lead once again.

I think you will be partisan anyway. Lets forget about Playbook. Its battery life was revealed to be 3 hours or so at the CES conference. It runs web apps, that is dead in the water.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/30/r...ing-optimized/

Possibly google can do something. I doubt it. The modern "geek" who enthuses over cpu, gpu, and RAM is about as aware of how an OS actually works as a 13th century peasant was aware of string theory. Learning Java and C# is not enough to understand this.

Yesterday I saw a link to a Oracle developer who compared JAVA SE ( embedded JVM) to Davlik. SE ran 2.5 times faster across all benchmarks ( although he couldn't test the UI). Compiled code would run much faster still. ( And this is clear on Android phones - they are slow and stuttery even when they dont have to do very much. Ask them to run Angry Birds and they fail. Thats a 2D game).

EDIT: Here it is:

http://blogs.oracle.com/javaseembedd..._embedded.html

Apple have had, until recent;y, a JVM team helping Sun/Oracle. That team was not the OS team because a JVM is not an OS.

About 40% of the people on iOS/OS X ( which shares low level components) work on

1) The Compiler.

2) The Kernel

3) WindowServer team - which hands off the most efficient code from Core Animation, Open GL, and all windows to the GPU.

4) The API team which designs API to be as thread aware as possible - take into account GCD.

5) Power management

6) (new). A chip design team.

That's an OS team. A JVM team is not an OS. Davlik is at least 2.5 times slower than an equivalent tasks on JAVA SE - more compared to iOS ( 4 or 5?)?

All of this is less visible on a small screen. Nevertheless I always get glitches on any Android phone I use. Thats probably lack of GPU acceleration, which is a problem for them as they dont know what devices will have what graphics card.

This "OS" doesnt even have drivers for graphic cards. It is up to manufacturers. Even with that - not available now - they wont have the Apple expertise. And even then their main thread is gettin continually blocked with garbage collection, and their multi-threaded story is a mess. Andoird is not an OS company. they can no more "blow" Apple away in the iPad space then they could write an OS and blow Apple away in the Netbook space. ( As for RIM - a web OS with no apps?)

All of the glitches clearly visible to any Android user will be amplified in the release of any tablet which even tries to match the iPad ( although they are inevitably going to target 7 inch devices).

If APple can pull this high resolution malarky off they may never catch up.
  • Reply 105 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

Even if the battery only lasted 9 1/2 hours?

Heck, 8 hours is good enough for me. The 10-12 hours I get out of my iPad right now is kind of overkill, it's just amazing.
  • Reply 106 of 187
    Quote:

It is all the same iOS. No fragmentation exists according to some prolific commentators.

I think that they like to play word games.

There is a "fragmentation" between the iPad and the iPhone/iPod touch. Not for games which can scale up, or use different textures. For everybody else the UI should really be re-designed, see the difference between Notes on the iPhone and the iPad.

( So not a real fragmentation issue: it is a different device. The OS is the same - iOS. Which isnt guaranteed on Android, and is what is normally meant by Android fragmentation).

For the other "fragmentation" issues, no code is needed just a different set of default icons and you are done. You just rename the better looking icons to include @2. That will be true of the two resolutions in iPad. The coding cost is zero. design cost is trivial.
  • Reply 107 of 187
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Scaling by non integer values does introduce significant distortion, especially for text and straight lines. I suppose you could windowbox the game though. That might work.

I wonder what pre-iPhone-4 apps will look like on it at 4x zoom.

How many such apps are still out there? By now, that would likely either be an app that the user neglected to update, or the dev abandoned.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Truthfully, you know zero about what the Apple A5 is capable of. So no matter how many times between now and the announcement you repost this same point, you're not contributing anything useful. We all get it. 3 million pixels is a lot to push. We'll see what happens.

That's the best policy. I've been avoiding the rumor and speculation stories a lot more in the last year, in part because discussing rumor stories just a way to pass time, and I have less time now. It's also impossible to verify. It's certainly not worth jumping to conclusions until it really becomes news with an announcement, it's just entertainment.
  • Reply 108 of 187
    Or, might Apple just be prepping iBooks for an OSX release via the Mac App Store?
  • Reply 109 of 187
    On the day the iPhones retina display came out, I planned to sell my iPad. When you want to revolutionize print media, I guess you got to get near to the printed resolution. And who cares more about typography than Steve Jobs. This is why I want to believe these rumors. If all these tech specs are true + less reflective glass, personal hotspot on iPhone and all these new sophisticated apps for iPad it will be a perfect mobile device. Simply hoping for it.
  • Reply 110 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Scaling by non integer values does introduce significant distortion, especially for text and straight lines. I suppose you could windowbox the game though. That might work.

I wonder what pre-iPhone-4 apps will look like on it at 4x zoom.

They really should just stop supporting iPhone apps on the iPad. They look horribly ugly and don't encourage developers to at least make iPad versions of their app.
  • Reply 111 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrandersoniii View Post

Or, might Apple just be prepping iBooks for an OSX release via the Mac App Store?

Good point!

( And they should do that, of course).
  • Reply 112 of 187
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's the best policy. I've been avoiding the rumor and speculation stories a lot more in the last year, in part because discussing rumor stories just a way to pass time, and I have less time now. It's also impossible to verify. It's certainly not worth jumping to conclusions until it really becomes news with an announcement, it's just entertainment.

I would argue that even then, it's still just entertainment
  • Reply 113 of 187
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:

(although the market place is garbage compared to the app store, which obviously is a huge deal and makes iOS much better for multimedia). And I know that most people on these forums are apple fan boys.

I'm trying to give you guys an 'outside' opinion from what 99% of the posts on this forum are (i.e. apple fanboys who are so busy nut-hugging steve jobs that they would pie a big turd if it had an apple logo stamped on it). You can't deny that the CES videos of the playbook and honeycomb blows away the ipad in every single way.

My point is that apple fanboys (forum members here) will buy the iPad regardless of whether the specs are great or bad, or there is a big or small iOS update. Honeycomb tablets could come out that blow away the iPad in EVERY sense, and you guys would still look down on it and praise the pants off of apple.

I'm giving you a more realistic viewpoint from other people who are NOT apple fanboys, and who are interested in the best product for the money. Now I KNOW that there are tons of people who aren't fanboys, that will buy the iPad because it's trendy and who don't know the difference between ram, rom, gpu, cpu, etc... These would be most all people, so really what i'm talking about are the techies and nerds, and even people who are typically anti-apple.

These people may buy an iPad 2 regardless of their previous dislike, or preference for android, if apple really steps up their game and puts up some awesome stats. I will buy one without hesitation if apple does this. On these forums most of these discussions are pointless in the end, because all of these fanboys are going to buy it regardless. They are just having fun discussing rumours and specs, and hoping for the best. There ARE other people who aren't like this and will actually consider other options and not just buy apple because it's apple.

I've bolded your statements that are clearly false, confused, or weird.

It's good that right off the bat you admit the marketplace is crap and the app store great. This is true. It was not necessary for you to add "for multimedia" to that. That's just weird, possibly confused, I can't tell. It's great for software, period. Now I want you to keep this important feature of iOS in mind as we go through your other statements.

It's really idiotic of you to go to a forum and call everyone there fanboys as you have done, several times, and for no good reason. I'm not saying you're an idiot, I'm not even calling you a fanboy, I don't know if those things are true. But it's idiotic of you to sling the fanboy accusation around when you're trying to convince people of your ideas.

You are really lost on why people buy iPads. No doubt there are lots of reasons, since the iPad can do alot of different things very well (one of them you even mentioned... it has great software!). If you honestly think the only reason people buy computers is because of raw hardware stats, well then why don't you go buy a ton of ram chips and cpus and make the biggest pile from them you can! Maybe having a bigger stack will make your computing experience more better! Or perhaps even the betterest!

I can say that the CES videos of playbook and honeycomb are definitely not compelling at all. They do not, in fact, 'blow away the iPad in every single way'. I think you must've had your rose colored glasses on when you were watching those videos. Here, I'll specifically list for you why they are inferior to iPad 1 (nowhere comparable to whatever iPad 2 might be):
    • Not actually shipping, probably won't ship anytime soon. Especially Honeycomb.

• Poor battery life, most likely less than the iPad. In the case of the playbook, alot less.

• Weak ecosystem, lack of software.

• Overpriced or no price listed (no price listed because its vapor and they don't really know when, if ever, their tablet will ship).

It's not necessary for me to go any further with that list. Between battery life, lack of software and just the fact that none of it is actually shipping, I wouldn't want to downgrade from my iPad to something like that.

Finally as for your statement about getting the best product for the money, well I think you managed to disprove your own assertions. It's hard to beat a complete package like the iPad at $500, especially when the competition will generally be charging more money for less features overall. Yes it is possible for you to get an android 2.2 tablet for $200 if you search around enough, but it will be 3x as thick, 2x as heavy and have a 2 hour battery life (3 hours on standby). But hey, it has a camera, so it must be better right? Maybe its got more ram too, not that you can do anything with it. Heck its got a USB port and HDMI, which might be useful if it didnt crash all the time, or run out of juice before you could get it plugged in and working.

I just gave you the more realistic viewpoint, the one called 'reality'.
  • Reply 114 of 187
    Quote:

I'm not an android fanboy, i've just used a good android phone with 2.2 and find it to be better than iOS in many ways (although the market place is garbage compared to the app store, which obviously is a huge deal and makes iOS much better for multimedia). And I know that most people on these forums are apple fan boys.

I'm trying to give you guys an 'outside' opinion from what 99% of the posts on this forum are (i.e. apple fanboys who are so busy nut-hugging steve jobs that they would pie a big turd if it had an apple logo stamped on it). You can't deny that the CES videos of the playbook and honeycomb blows away the ipad in every single way.

My point is that apple fanboys (forum members here) will buy the iPad regardless of whether the specs are great or bad, or there is a big or small iOS update. Honeycomb tablets could come out that blow away the iPad in EVERY sense, and you guys would still look down on it and praise the pants off of apple.

I'm giving you a more realistic viewpoint from other people who are NOT apple fanboys, and who are interested in the best product for the money. Now I KNOW that there are tons of people who aren't fanboys, that will buy the iPad because it's trendy and who don't know the difference between ram, rom, gpu, cpu, etc... These would be most all people, so really what i'm talking about are the techies and nerds, and even people who are typically anti-apple.

These people may buy an iPad 2 regardless of their previous dislike, or preference for android, if apple really steps up their game and puts up some awesome stats. I will buy one without hesitation if apple does this. On these forums most of these discussions are pointless in the end, because all of these fanboys are going to buy it regardless. They are just having fun discussing rumours and specs, and hoping for the best. There ARE other people who aren't like this and will actually consider other options and not just buy apple because it's apple.

Honeycomb? You mean the videos of what Honeycomb "maybe" will be? I wasn't really impressed either way. I thought the Blackberry Playbook looked nice, superior to Honeycomb in many ways. They're getting closer, but we'll see how it looks when it's in the real world and other factors like apps and battery come into play. And I don't have a lot of faith in Google products in general these days.

I've tried again and again to not be an Apple fan. I've mistakenly bought "powerful" PC's that competed with Mac Pro's on the hardware front at half the price, only to deal with countless OS issues related to Windows that dampened the effects of superior hardware. I didn't buy an AT&T iPhone because I didn't want to deal with a crap carrier. What I come back to again and again though with Apple's products is that if I stop over-thinking specs and focus on actual usage, I'm always infinitely better off in terms of ease of use and efficiency with Apple products. I don't have to troubleshoot. Everything just works. The tweaker in me sometimes wishes I could change things, but in the end, all I ever ended up doing when "tweaking" other products was wasting a lot of time for a minimal impact.

Again, there are some things I like about other products, even Android phones. But at the end of the day, Apple offers the best complete solutions that work exceedingly well out of the box. I've played the game of trying to tell myself all the specs and capabilities I think I need and it's only lead to frustration and disappointment.

And let me stress, I don't want to be an Apple Fanboy as they tend to annoy me too. I'm not into blind enthusiasm. I'm into objectivity and real-world practicality. But when looking at the marketplace today, it really comes down to one thing for me...

I have never been frustrated or disappointed by an Apple device...and I've tried really hard to be.

Enough said.
  • Reply 115 of 187
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

It is all the same iOS. No fragmentation exists according to some prolific commentators.

I think that they like to play word games.

The point is that at this moment, developers only have to support two resolutions to make their apps compatible with all iOS devices ever shipped. There is no need to support the resolution of the iPhone 4 to make your app run it on it flawlessly. I bet you would not be able to tell me now (without checking each app very carefully) which of your apps has increased the resolution in response to the iPhone 4's display.
  • Reply 116 of 187
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Unbelievable. The highest resolution display sold by Apple is 2560 by 1440 pixels on the 27" iMac and Cinema Display.

I can't see iPad 2 having nearly equal resolution on a 9.7" display. The hardware wont be able to handle it.

Why not? The 11" MacBook Air's GPU "Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, "

There are also rumours of an A5 for the iPad G2.
  • Reply 117 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And 4x less battery life. hehe

This is like the fifth time you've worried about battery life on this thread alone. What are you doing with the iPad that you're battery isn't satisfactory?

I use my iPad very extensively all day, everyday, and I've never come close to running out of power. I don't even plug it in at work like my iPhone, just at home at night, and I think I could even skip charging it for a day and it wouldn't matter. IMO battery power is the least of the iPad's worries.

My shopping list for iPad 2 in order of importance is:

- lighter! (I would give up half the current battery time if it would save half the weight)

- more powerful (working on large documents makes iPad 1.0 stutter and pause)

- more memory (currently can only really hold something like 1.5 open programs in memory)
  • Reply 118 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kre62 View Post

"Retina" does not mean >300ppi, it means when holding the device at a normal viewing distance (12' on the iphone) the eye can not discern individual pixels.

Since the iPad is held at a greater distance, like 18-20", I'm sure this resolution could be considered retina.

Insanely high res if true, in any case.

I can't see any pixels now, unless I am using a phone app in doubled mode. So I'm sire I wouldn't be able to if they increased it
  • Reply 119 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Why not? The 11" MacBook Air's GPU "Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, "

There are also rumours of an A5 for the iPad G2.

Um... 2560x1600 on a 11" OS X display, the UI is not designed for that. Maybe Lion 10.7, but even then, this would require extensive OS X redesign. Which could come as OS X 10.8 is merged with iOS.
  • Reply 120 of 187
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    2048x1536 in a 9.7 inch screen?

I believe it. Apple will continue to innovate and lead the way. No one will be able to touch it.