DVD to itunes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a free easy way to rip a DVD to your itunes library?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    There are several methods, but to discuss the details within these forums would be against policy. Might I suggest a Google search with the terms "handbrake" and "DVD"?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

There are several methods, but to discuss the details within these forums would be against policy.

No, given that it's perfectly legal and has been since 1976.

Quote:

Might I suggest a Google search with the terms "handbrake" and "DVD"?

Or just tell him to download VLC and HandBrake.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, given that it's perfectly legal and has been since 1976.

Or just tell him to download VLC and HandBrake.

I see... so you can demonstrate that "Fair Use" has been tested and upheld through case law as it applies to circumvention of encryption on DVDs? I'm sure the authors of the DMCA, as well as a bunch of lawyers at the EFF would love to have that information. At best, we can say that the backup of DVDs you have bought is a gray area right now. Both sides are afraid to have it tested in court because both sides are afraid they will lose.

That being said, I support the idea that once I pay for content, I ought to be able to manipulate it for my own personal use, hence my helpful reply.

I seem to recall that in the past, other threads about this topic were deleted by the mods.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

That being said, I support the idea that once I pay for content, I ought to be able to manipulate it for my own personal use, hence my helpful reply.

Your first post said absolutely nothing of the sort. You NOW intimate this, but originally did not.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your first post said absolutely nothing of the sort. You NOW intimate this, but originally did not.

... so?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Thank you for the info I'll give it a try.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

I support the idea that once I pay for content, I ought to be able to manipulate it for my own personal use

Expect an RIAA subpoena...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

You mean MPAA for movies.

The RIAA will sue you for ripping your own CDs into iTunes. Because they think it's illegal.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Damn, man! Why can't I keep my big mouth shut?!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

I see... so you can demonstrate that "Fair Use" has been tested and upheld through case law as it applies to circumvention of encryption on DVDs? I'm sure the authors of the DMCA, as well as a bunch of lawyers at the EFF would love to have that information. At best, we can say that the backup of DVDs you have bought is a gray area right now. Both sides are afraid to have it tested in court because both sides are afraid they will lose.

I seem to recall that in the past, other threads about this topic were deleted by the mods.

And since when does the badly-drafted "DMCA" applies to other countries? This is NOT a US-centric forum, you know...such an operation is perfectly legal (i.e., NOT a legal "gray" area) in countries such as Brazil and Switzerland, not to mention many others making use of fair or personal use provisions...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

And since when does the badly-drafted "DMCA" applies to other countries? This is NOT a US-centric forum, you know...such an operation is perfectly legal (i.e., NOT a legal "gray" area) in countries such as Brazil and Switzerland, not to mention many others making use of fair or personal use provisions...

Didn't mean to offend your European sensibilities.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Didn't mean to offend your European sensibilities.

No worries; I just think it's important to point that out, as many AI members do NOT live in the US.