Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 21 of 253
    Now we know why Jobs did not appear at the Verizon announcement.

Very sad. Over the years, I've had too many friends and acquaintances take leave from their jobs to focus on their or their family's health to not understand the euphemism.
  • Reply 22 of 253
    Good luck Steve.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dukemeiser View Post

Not sure how you can run a company with the second largest market cap and expect your life to be "private".

You are wrong, privacy is a right he's earned.
  • Reply 23 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Something is seriously up to force him to leave again, especially since it's said he's a workaholic.

Yeah, I'm concerned. This is not good news.
  • Reply 24 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Something is seriously up to force him to leave again, especially since it's said he's a workaholic.

I agree. He is a workaholic and he knows the impact this announcement may have on Apple and so if he is doing this I am afraid this is not good news at all.

Having the money he has, the very best health care money can buy is given. I am afraid that him leaving is the end of him at Apple.

I hope it is not, but if it is then my hat is off to him and all that he has given the technology world.

Peace Steve!
  • Reply 25 of 253
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I do hope SJ gets well regardless if he stays with Apple or not.

But even s SJ less Apple is in good shape.

My guess is that Apple totaly dominate the >1000 USD market for computers ( were the profit margins are nice)

Apple then did quite well on the mp3 player market

Then the iPhone

Now the iPad

In the future Apple will do well with " the next great thing"

SJ and the people saved a moribund company sunk in quagmire of useless Newton and rotting Mac OS

in confusing maze of II and Performa and Centris and LC and Quadra and transformed it to the powerhouse we see today. As Iconic as SJ may be Apple is not a one man show even if he will be terrilbly missed if he departs.
  • Reply 26 of 253
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Stock buying opportunity coming...

Precisely.
  • Reply 27 of 253
    I have a bad feeling about this, hope he is ok but somehow I dont think he'll be back, really sad.
  • Reply 28 of 253
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Great man, wish him best of health, speedy recovery and many more years with us.
  • Reply 29 of 253
    Get well Steve......Please
  • Reply 30 of 253
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    My personal admiration for Steve Jobs is one of the reasons I like Apple products so much. It's just not the same when he's away.
  • Reply 31 of 253
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sideshowlol View Post

This has to be expected to some degree, if you know anything about the kind of situation Steve is in. Money can buy you a lot but it can only help you fight cancer, it can't cure it.

Focussing on his health for a while makes total sense. I would also be happy to hear that Steve was relinquishing day-to-day running of the company, esp. if he was still able to maintain a key roll in taking big company decisions. Trouble is, there's always going to be a fair amount of stress involved in taking BIG decisions at Apple. Stress and cancer are not good bed-fellows. So I guess, Steve's level of involvement will very much depend on the advice he takes and how he feels he can cope with the stress.

My very best wishes to Steve and his family.

Well said. Also, Tim Cook is very capable. Get well Steve - best wishes.
  • Reply 32 of 253
    Hope you recover soon steve. But take the doc's advises seriously. Cancer is as mentioned above partially stress related.

Best wishes to you and your family
  • Reply 33 of 253
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the man who had pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant is taking another leave of absence for undisclosed health reasons, and half of the comments here are about how to profit from it.

"stock buying opportunity"? really?

i wish Jobs a speedy recovery, not for my stock, but for himself, his family, and his inspiration to Apple, it's employees, and it's fans.
  • Reply 34 of 253
    Jesus Christ ....

We were all led to believe Steve'd had really turned the corner on this ....

And with the Dow's day off today plus a day's worth of newscycle build-up/panic, AAPL's gonna China Syndrome tomorrow ....

It's times like these where I really wish I weren't an athesist so I can say:

"My prayers are with Steve & his family."

But since that stupid superstion will net ZERO results, I can't.

But the sentiment's there, all the same.

Get well supersoon, Stev .

The world needs more Steven P. Jobs, for we shall not gaze upon His like again.
  • Reply 35 of 253
    Get Better Soon!

Health is the most important thing in the world next to a sound mind.
  • Reply 36 of 253
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Hope he recovers sooner rather than later. I'm sure this isn't the privacy he had asked for in his letter.
  • Reply 37 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I find myself worried and saddened at this news. Not sure if we'll see Steve back at Apple ever again

I, too, fear the man is dying. Death comes for us all, but when it comes for Steve Jobs many, many people will grieve.

I really want to be wrong. He should outlive me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the man who had pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant is taking another leave of absence for undisclosed health reasons, and half of the comments here are about how to profit from it.

"stock buying opportunity"? really?

Exactly ONE comment before yours mentioned anything along those lines. Exactly one. Out of the dozens so far, all the overwhelming majority wants to see happen is to see him whole and healthy.

Grow up.
  • Reply 38 of 253
    I'll add my best wishes for a speedy recovery. This news was unexpected and opens the door to a lot of speculation. I'm sure more information will leak out over the next few days.
  • Reply 39 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

"OMG Applew is doomed" comments may start now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbene12 View Post

On a not unrelated note...Guess I should have sold at $345 a share. Wont see those levels again for six months probably. Wonder how bad the drop will be. $290?

Four posts later. Not bad timing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

YOu heard wrong.

Absolutely everything I've ever read about working at Apple at a level where you'd get to hear Steve's words corroborates the opposite of your post.
  • Reply 40 of 253
    Wishing you the very best, Steve. FYI, I won't be selling even a single share. In fact, I'll buy more if it dips, like I did the last time.

In 2009 when you took a similar leave you came back healthier and soon introduced a "magical" new product. Hope you surprise us all again in the near future (maybe "iSearch" to take down Google).

Will pray for your well-being.