Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 41 of 253
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    My thoughts and prayers, along with millions of others, I'm sure, are with Steve at this time. I can only pray for a quick and full recovery. He deserves nothing less than that.

As far as the future of Apple is concerned.... although there may be some uneven times in the uncertainty of all of this, I'm fully confident that the long term future of Apple is bright, if for no other reason than the DNA of Apple is embedded deep in the heart of many, if not all, of the management. Anyone who has been following Apple for any amount of time can see the same passion in the people who guide the company that Steve has for making "insanely great products/services" and as long as that passion remains focussed on that philosophy .... Apple will continue to prosper. Get well soon, Steve. Peace.
  • Reply 42 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbene12 View Post

I hope he gets better soon. I wish him nothing but the best.

On a not unrelated note...Guess I should have sold at $345 a share. Wont see those levels again for six months probably. Wonder how bad the drop will be. $290?

It's 348 now
  • Reply 43 of 253
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Wow Apple sheeple are in full force. Steve is going to be just fine.
  • Reply 44 of 253
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

We were all led to believe Steve'd had really turned the corner on this ....

And with the Dow's day off today plus a day's worth of newscycle build-up/panic, AAPL's gonna China Syndrome tomorrow ....

You sound like you feel like you've been manipulated. Anyone with cancer can get it again. Anyone taking drugs or other treatment for cancer can have numerous side effects. For all we know, his body is rejecting the transplanted liver.

Besides, Wall Street has known the risk and it's already been factored into the stock price.

AAPL stock will probably drop tomorrow, but I think it will be a temporary, emotional drop. First of all, the drop will be tempered by Apple's results, which are inevitably going to hit another record. The question will be whether Wall Street will think that in spite of that success, Apple won't continue to achieve that without Jobs there, but even if Jobs actually has no role going forward, you won't see the impact for a year.

Apple should have put a succession plan in place long ago. Most corporations have succession plans even when their CEOs are healthy. Apple has made a strategic error in reinforcing the notion that the company is "Steve". I think half of the public feels that Jobs has a role in every single decision make at the company. That's ludicrous. Tim Cook, Jonathan Ive and others have done and will continue to do an incredible job.

As for other posters who feel that Jobs' health should not be private, that's ridiculous. How much do you know about the health of the CEO of Exxon-Mobil? Or Wal-Mart? Every corporation is at risk of losing its chief executive due to such factors as airplane crashes, heart attacks, etc., for which I believe they are affected statistically more than the general population, due to extensive travel schedules and the pressures of the job.
  • Reply 45 of 253
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    As one who has dealt with a chronic, non-curable disease on three different occasions over the years myself, with unfortunately, a few more times to go I gather, I can empathize with Steve that after going through all he has gone through, to not quite be done with it... You are in my prayers and I wish you good health Steve... All the best.
  • Reply 46 of 253
    I'd be surprised if the health issue is cancer. Jobs had the surgery to get it out and the path report from that surgery would have been critical in qualifying for the new liver. A path report showing that the tumor had not spread would have been necessary.

I would guess that there are battles with the new liver and those can, hopefully, be addressed. You can be sure that he will have the best medical minds available looking at the situation.

As for Apple, products for 2011 would pretty well be determined and the executive team can handle that very well. Longer term ideas already have Jobs input to some degree and there is excellent talent on hand to deliver. Jonathan Ive is one example.

So now is the time to wish Steve J the best, a speedy recovery and some time with his family.
  • Reply 47 of 253
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Having been diagnosed with ESLD (end-stage liver disease) about five months ago, I have had to learn a hell of a lot more about the liver than I really wanted to. Mine is compensated (which I believe means that my liver is functioning at greater than 10% efficiency) so I'm not showing any major signs yet, but once the thing de-compensates (less than 10% efficiency) then prognosis is very poor if you don't get a liver transplant. My physician says it is one of the worst ways to die -- I'll spare you the gory details -- just look up words like varices, ascites, hepatic encephalopathy.

This disease literally turns your life upside down -- day becomes night and night becomes day. Most of the time all you want to do is sleep during the day, you feel tired & listless but come the darkness you actually feel lively, energetic and wide-awake. Everyone else is fast asleep and you get hit with loneliness and depression -- you have absolutely no control over this whatsoever.

A liver transplant doesn't guarantee anything, and no doctor would be stupid enough to predict how long a person is likely to live after transplant -- liver disease can come back even if you've had a transplant.

This is the kind of disease that any decent human being wouldn't ever wish upon their worst enemy, so I just hope that whatever SJ's problem might be, that this discussion doesn't end up in the gutter with snide comments about the man himself or the impending demise of Apple Inc.
  • Reply 48 of 253
    Of course I wish Steve and his family the best.

Having said that, I also think Steve will stay with Apple but essentially be the CEO in absentia. He basically will be gone from Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 253
    So who will deliver iPhone 5/iPad 2 keynote?
  • Reply 50 of 253
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely everything I've ever read about working at Apple at a level where you'd get to hear Steve's words corroborates the opposite of your post.

You heard wrong.
  • Reply 51 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Of course I wish Steve and his family the best.

Having said that, I also think Steve will stay with Apple but essentially be the CEO in absentia. He basically will be gone from Apple.

Will not be gone. I think he explicitly mentioned that he will not be.
  • Reply 52 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Wow Apple sheeple are in full force. Steve is going to be just fine.

Who says so?
  • Reply 53 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the man who had pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant is taking another leave of absence for undisclosed health reasons, and half of the comments here are about how to profit from it.

"stock buying opportunity"? really?

i wish Jobs a speedy recovery, not for my stock, but for himself, his family, and his inspiration to Apple, it's employees, and it's fans.

Love the part in italics..
  • Reply 54 of 253
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

It's 348 now

No it isn't. Look at a market where it is still trading (e.g. Germany). Roughly -8.5%

Not a big panic yet, but given Apple's fundamentals, it is bound to be a temporary dip.

I suspect this has been planned in combination with the financials tomorrow. Those might soften the blow.
  • Reply 55 of 253
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I would hate to see him pass away so young.

I did read though that he is a bastard to the nth degree. Apple makes cool stuff but I heard Apple is a nightmare company to work for.

The line between visionary and sociopath has always thin. Apple under jobs is high risk high reward. He's willing to take those risks because all he cares about is his vision and he's prepared to fail and fail spectacularly if the customer doesn't share it. Normal people can't do this. The little angel on their right shoulder won't let them.
  • Reply 56 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You heard wrong.

So all those former Apple employees were lying.

Guess the original Macintosh team and later hardware engineers don't know about their own working environment.

• Reply 57 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

... I also think Steve will stay with Apple but essentially be the CEO in absentia. He basically will be gone from Apple.

I'm totally surprised at how many people on this thread have immediately jumped to the conclusion that Steve Jobs is "over" at Apple based on this one announcement.

He's been looking healthier and healthier, day by day since his operation and looked fairly robust the last time we saw him at an event, but the first word that he is going to take some time off for his health and everyone is writing his obituary already.

We also know that the type of cancer he had doesn't typically return for years and years, that he had the best doctor in the country for the operation. Odds are, he is just taking a well deserved break for his mental and physical health IMO.

It's kind of funny in that I am always being taken to task for being a sort of "glass half empty" person on this forum, but it never even occurred to me when I heard the news that he was having a re-occurance of his cancer, yet everyone else seems ready to start digging his grave tomorrow.
  • Reply 58 of 253
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

So who will deliver iPhone 5/iPad 2 keynote?

This is what makes perfect timing / sense.

Steve can be away, Tim does the announcement, folks clammer for the new products, and Steve can sit back, relax and enjoy life.

We ALL have to get over it, and understand, APPLE has to have a back-up plan. Steve WILL NOT live forever, sorry folks, but it's a fact.

So, Tim, Steve and Apple folks, planned this very well, and for the good of Apple and everyone involved. Good for them.

Skip
  • Reply 59 of 253
    Quote:

Guess the original Macintosh team and later hardware engineers don't know about their own working environment.

Who gives a shit...
  • Reply 60 of 253
    Quote:

Dude that was almost thirty years ago.

I bet there are lots of execs out there that if we asked their high-school mates what they were like in their twenties would elicit the same kind of description. It has no bearing on who Steve Jobs is today as a fifty something CEO.

Has there ever been a young man anywhere who once having obtained a position of power, didn't abuse it or turn into a classic *sshole?