Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 61 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

God Bless....speedy recovery.

He's a very driven man, I suspect not much can keep him out of Apple for long. Listen to your doctors Steve & get some rest, Tim can handle it!
  • Reply 62 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm totally surprised at how many people on this thread have immediately jumped to the conclusion that Steve Jobs is "over" at Apple based on this one announcement.

He's been looking healthier and healthier, day by day since his operation and looked fairly robust the last time we saw him at an event, but the first word that he is going to take some time off for his health and everyone is writing his obituary already.

We also know that the type of cancer he had doesn't typically return for years and years, that he had the best doctor in the country for the operation. Odds are, he is just taking a well deserved break for his mental and physical health IMO.

It's kind of funny in that I am always being taken to task for being a sort of "glass half empty" person on this forum, but it never even occurred to me when I heard the news that he was having a re-occurance of his cancer, yet everyone else seems ready to start digging his grave tomorrow.

Cancer is a trickster. It has a way of suddenly reappearing without warning in a more potent and permanently disabling form. This I know. Steve's unexpectedly soon announcement is a sure sign to me that he needs to spend his remaining time on more important matters with his family.
  • Reply 63 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

This is what makes perfect timing / sense.

Steve can be away, Tim does the announcement, folks clammer for the new products, and Steve can sit back, relax and enjoy life.

We ALL have to get over it, and understand, APPLE has to have a back-up plan. Steve WILL NOT live forever, sorry folks, but it's a fact.

So, Tim, Steve and Apple folks, planned this very well, and for the good of Apple and everyone involved. Good for them.

Skip

Agreed with you New England.

Ohh- pleaseeee, you Worry-Hogs. Cut the man some slack ?

The man asked for medical time off to treat some lingering medical issues, there is nothing to worry about. Every good doctor would give such advice to his/her patients. For a brilliant executive like Steve and a well functioning Board like Apple?s, I would be surprised if they don?t have their product plans laid out for the next 3 to 5 years.

If you have been following Apple?s product strategy, you?d notice how orderly each events, product launch have been planned; they are well orchestrated, even when Steve was on medical leave before, there is no incidental success stories when it comes to Apple.

I want to join all you well-wishers out there to wish him a speedy and full recovery and some well-deserved time off for such an extraordinary run in world most successful company.

I can?t wait till tomorrow and the stock breaks all-time high again after the Conf. Call. Watching all of those sellers scrambling to buy back in will be quite a show; someone should create an app for that ?.

Go Tim Cook!!! Let those sales numbers speak for themselves!!! AAPL to $500 ? here we go!!!!
  • Reply 64 of 253
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Who says so?

We don't even know if the man is sick or what he has if he has anything. It could just be a preventative measure given his previous health issues.
  • Reply 65 of 253
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

I suspect this has been planned in combination with the financials tomorrow. Those might soften the blow.

Clearly. I think this timing mitigates against the idea of an emergency medical leave. It appears to be strategic--blowout earnings to be announced tomorrow. Hotly anticipated iPad2 soon to be announced. iPhone 5 probably wrapping up design and preparing for build-out. And, oh yeah, Verizon deal completed.

It is possible that workaholic Steve just needs to step it down for a bit. In any case, all this posting about him as if he were departed is a little unseemly...
  • Reply 66 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Good luck Steve.

You are wrong, privacy is a right he's earned.

Privacy does not have to be earned. It's pretty much a birth rite. It's sad that our mass media can't seem to understand such a simple concept.
  • Reply 67 of 253
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbene12 View Post

I hope he gets better soon. I wish him nothing but the best.

On a not unrelated note...Guess I should have sold at $345 a share. Wont see those levels again for six months probably. Wonder how bad the drop will be. $290?

I'm looking at this as a buy opportunity. I plan to get another 30 shares first thing tomorrow morning for a long position.

I think Cook has proven himself in the past. His history, combined with what should be a stellar earnings call makes me think this will just be a blip. There's usually a selloff after AAPL's earnings call, but I think we'll see $350 by the end of next week.

This is my retirement fund we're talking about, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed\
  • Reply 68 of 253
    Steve jobs has quite a bit of weight in terms of sway. His absence, for however long, will diminish Apple's ability to show vision and persuade. But then again, is that vision infallible? For instance, I have read that SJ did not initially support the iPod development. If this is true, what an indictment that is, for Apple is probably best known for it's iPods and now iPhones. Also, although everyone seems to rage over his Keynote deliveries, take away the SJ aura, and his delivery isn't particularly impressive.

Steve Jobs certainly has a lot of history and credibility which has developed his ability to sway. But it was Raskin who developed the Mac, not Steve. So all I'm saying is that there are quite likely a few other Raskins about at Apple and Apple needs to develop another person with sway. For my money, the most eloquent presenter at Apple keynotes is Scott Forstall. Even when Steve comes back, I'd like to see SF take more prominence - especially in Apple KeyNotes.
  • Reply 69 of 253
    Best wishes for a quick recovery, Steve. The world still needs you.
  • Reply 70 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Jesus Christ ....

Could you find some other deity to blaspheme or better yet, just find a non-offensive expletive to express your emotions? I mean, unless you were praying to Jesus Christ about Steve's health ...
  • Reply 71 of 253
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    When people are recovering from any kind of cancer and organ transplant there's always hormonal imbalances. They are pretty common and people just need to relax and slow down. Hope Steve recovers fast and spends great time with his family.
  • Reply 72 of 253
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Good luck Steve.

You are wrong, privacy is a right he's earned.

I agree -- if the dude wants privacy, then as a shareholder, I'm happy to let him have it. Special people deserve special treatment.
  • Reply 73 of 253
    Well I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't mostly extremely knackered, exhausted and mentally shattered after coming back from all the cancer and transplant stuff...maybe he needs some more months off for continued recuperation, he ain't as young as he etc etc...

Meantime, Apple's legacy of its most successful period (and the greatest comeback in business history) will allow Cook and Ive to keep the ball rolling.

Definitely.
  • Reply 74 of 253
    I feel selfish in saying this but I hope we get him back. I hope this is not all of 'Jobs at Apple. His vision and direction has been critical. I know as much as we will miss his direction and insight his family will miss him more. Steve is much more than an incredible businessman, visionary, and leader. Those close to him at work no how harsh and biting he can be. Those that know him personally know he is just as passionate (if not more so) regarding his love and caring for his family.

Most of all, I wish him a speedy recovery, good time with his family and those he loves and the ability to stay focused on resolving health issues.
  • Reply 75 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Steve jobs has quite a bit of weight in terms of sway. His absence, for however long, will diminish Apple's ability to show vision and persuade. But then again, is that vision infallible? For instance, I have read that SJ did not initially support the iPod development. If this is true, what an indictment that is, for Apple is probably best known for it's iPods and now iPhones. Also, although everyone seems to rage over his Keynote deliveries, take away the SJ aura, and his delivery isn't particularly impressive.

Steve Jobs certainly has a lot of history and credibility which has developed his ability to sway. But it was Raskin who developed the Mac, not Steve. So all I'm saying is that there are quite likely a few other Raskins about at Apple and Apple needs to develop another person with sway. For my money, the most eloquent presenter at Apple keynotes is Scott Forstall. Even when Steve comes back, I'd like to see SF take more prominence - especially in Apple KeyNotes.

Of course he isn't infallible, but I hadn't heard that he was against the iPod. I doubt it would have made it to market if he was.

His keynotes aren't what they were before his first leave, but they are still excellent. His "Aura" is just his ability to deliver the material well.

I have to do frequent presentations to large groups, and I have a nasty case of stage fright. If it wasn't for studying SJ's keynotes, I'd be hopeless. As it is, I do a killer presentation. I always try to put my presentation together the way he does, using the same words and phrasing and powerpoints. Because of that, my presentations are excellent.

Steve is not God, and his absence will be felt, but he is an amazing CEO and visionary. I wish him all the best.
  • Reply 76 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Cruel irony that the best decade of his professional life has been such a struggle to just stay alive.

I hope he just does whatever he has to in order to take care of himself. Perhaps he should consider giving up "day-to-day" responsibilities permanently, and purely focus on strategic / QA duties.

Not sure he'll be able to bring himself to do that, he would loose his trump power. Right now he can step in & call it on any project he chooses, he still loves his job too much to hand over the reigns.
  • Reply 77 of 253
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post

Could you find some other deity to blaspheme or better yet, just find a non-offensive expletive to express your emotions? I mean, unless you were praying to Jesus Christ about Steve's health ...

Gurrl quit with the PC crap. There is nothing offensive about using the words Jesus Christ!
  • Reply 78 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post

God Damn it? Oh my God? Holy crap? Let's face it, it's hard to curse without blaspheming. Thats kind of the point. I don't want to insult your beliefs, but cut the guy some slack.
  • Reply 79 of 253
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So all those former Apple employees were lying.

Guess the original Macintosh team and later hardware engineers don't know about their own working environment.

Ex-employees are like an ex-spouse ....... not sure many people would want a recommendation from an ex-spouse. Do you? ...
  • Reply 80 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

You sound like you feel like you've been manipulated. Anyone with cancer can get it again. Anyone taking drugs or other treatment for cancer can have numerous side effects. For all we know, his body is rejecting the transplanted liver.

Besides, Wall Street has known the risk and it's already been factored into the stock price.

AAPL stock will probably drop tomorrow, but I think it will be a temporary, emotional drop. First of all, the drop will be tempered by Apple's results, which are inevitably going to hit another record. The question will be whether Wall Street will think that in spite of that success, Apple won't continue to achieve that without Jobs there, but even if Jobs actually has no role going forward, you won't see the impact for a year.

Apple should have put a succession plan in place long ago. Most corporations have succession plans even when their CEOs are healthy. Apple has made a strategic error in reinforcing the notion that the company is "Steve". I think half of the public feels that Jobs has a role in every single decision make at the company. That's ludicrous. Tim Cook, Jonathan Ive and others have done and will continue to do an incredible job.

As for other posters who feel that Jobs' health should not be private, that's ridiculous. How much do you know about the health of the CEO of Exxon-Mobil? Or Wal-Mart? Every corporation is at risk of losing its chief executive due to such factors as airplane crashes, heart attacks, etc., for which I believe they are affected statistically more than the general population, due to extensive travel schedules and the pressures of the job.

Pretty much agreed with you until the last paragraph. The reasons you don't hear about the health of those other CEOs is because they don't have cancer and haven't needed organ transplants. If any health issues threatened to take them away from the company, then you might very well hear about them. The question of whether the health of a CEO is material information to investors is a matter of discussion, not ridiculous on the face of it, not by a long shot. During Steve's last leave of absence, people familiar with corporate governance rules and SEC regulations came down on the side of more complete disclosure than the extremely sketchy information which Apple deemed appropriate. I think they're going to have similar problems with this announcement, which is awfully vague on the details.