Steve Jobs to take medical leave of absence but remain Apple CEO

Comments

• Reply 101 of 253
    Steve we wish you the best and are praying that your recovery is fast. Your knowledge and product innovation are loved by all.
  • Reply 102 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Gurrl quit with the PC crap. There is nothing offensive about using the words Jesus Christ!

While I agree that the first person was being overly sensitive, this statement is pretty obviously false. It certainly offends all kinds of people to use that term.

It offends me (a little) as an atheist to hear or see people use it. It certainly must offend the believers even more.
  • Reply 103 of 253
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sorry, but that's wrong. Not knowing or understanding something does not make the thing ridiculous. Apple has handled this issue poorly in the past and is continuing to handle it poorly, to the extent that corporate governance experts raise serious questions. You should read that WSJ article I linked -- might help you understand the issue. I'm sure we'll be seeing many more just like it in the days to come.

I read the article....(with my grandma slow verizon mifi card internet). That article didn't sway my opinion on this matter at all. They don't even present good logic behind knowing all the details. So what if they did give a date and then couldn't make that date? They are still in the same situation either way. It's none of their business what the man has or not. Just because he's CEO doesn't mean he's no longer entitled to his privacy. That's just ridiculous. Businesses need to be worried about their business and not the personal lives of employees. The unexpected can always happen. They have someone who can clearly run things day-to-day in SJ's absence. That's the second most important thing.
  • Reply 104 of 253
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 105 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

While I agree that the first person was being overly sensitive, this statement is pretty obviously false. It certainly offends all kinds of people to use that term.

It offends me (a little) as an atheist to hear or see people use it. It certainly must offend the believers even more.

That's a personal problem. Nothing you said here is a reason for you to be offended other than you are offended. Even if you are religious you shouldn't be offended. There is no reason to be. Being offended simply because you are told to be offended serves up no purpose and is a waste of time and energy that could be used for something more constructive. *blinks*
  • Reply 106 of 253
    deleted
  • Reply 107 of 253
    I agree with Hatchet (#71), notwithstanding AdonisSMU (#78) and LTMP (#79). For the present, they couldn't possibly understand the offense you feel.
  • Reply 108 of 253
    iKarma - It is said that you pay for everything in this world one way or another.
  • Reply 109 of 253
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    They should preserve his brain at the Smithsonian.
  • Reply 110 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

There are apparently varying views of what it's like to work at Apple:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-return-2009-8

... and this is all you need to know:

"My boss, she's been with Apple since 1979."

Think about it... it will come to you.
  • Reply 111 of 253
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Why are such critical plans allowed to be concealed from stockholders?

They disclosed that they have a plan. Why would a company want to reveal any of their plans to their competition. The competitor could try to hire away the key personnel.
  • Reply 112 of 253
    deleted
  • Reply 113 of 253
    Quote:

I would argue that his personal life is indeed his personal life. But his professional life is as public as the company he serves.

A couple weeks ago Apple refused a request from their shareholders to disclose the company's succession plan.

Did you read the article. Very good reasons were given. Including the reason that public knowledge of who is on the list and for what roles increases the likelihood that another company would try to pull them away. Sometimes even people no one wants for what they can do now, but simply because Apple would make them this or that higher role. It is a genuine concern because companies bank their future on those people being in those roles and invest a lot of time and money in preparing them.
  • Reply 114 of 253
    Quote:

Sure, because contracts haven't been invented yet.

Contracts were invented by lawyers... that's all you need to know.
  • Reply 115 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm totally surprised at how many people on this thread have immediately jumped to the conclusion that Steve Jobs is "over" at Apple based on this one announcement.

He's been looking healthier and healthier, day by day since his operation and looked fairly robust the last time we saw him at an event, but the first word that he is going to take some time off for his health and everyone is writing his obituary already.

We also know that the type of cancer he had doesn't typically return for years and years, that he had the best doctor in the country for the operation. Odds are, he is just taking a well deserved break for his mental and physical health IMO.

It's kind of funny in that I am always being taken to task for being a sort of "glass half empty" person on this forum, but it never even occurred to me when I heard the news that he was having a re-occurance of his cancer, yet everyone else seems ready to start digging his grave tomorrow.

I totally agree, the ghouls are out in force today

I don't think you can set a timescale on returning to work after major surgery. Only SJ knows how well he really felt after his return, but he'd set the date nonetheless.

He'd have had no idea how well Tim Cook would steer the ship the first time around putting additional pressure on himself to return as quickly as possible. Maybe SJ realises more than ever that health and family are more important than work.

Either way I wish him and his family all the very best.
  • Reply 116 of 253
    Quote:

I would argue that his personal life is indeed his personal life. But his professional life is as public as the company he serves.

A couple weeks ago Apple refused a request from their shareholders to disclose the company's succession plan.

By your logic Apple should disclose everything they are doing with the Iphone and Ipads and Macs in between versions as well. They will speak when they are ready to.
  • Reply 117 of 253
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Like you'd actually know.

All the assholes come out to kick the man when he's down.

How classy.

To me, it isn't a matter of kicking him when he is down, it's calling a spade a spade.

I deeply admire SJ in many ways and yet am appalled in others. I sincerely wish him all the best and hope he regains his health and lives long.
  • Reply 118 of 253
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Maybe Steve is not actually sick but his health is not as good as it could be. He needs some more time off because he has been feeling run down due to working too many hours lately. He doesn't want his heath to worsen and he knows if he keeps coming into the office he'll end up working too hard. He may have decided to work from home to conserve his strength. Everyone knows he is fragile. Hopefully this is the beginning of a gradual retirement process. I would like to see him relax, build his house and retire within the next year or so. Live long Steve.
  • Reply 119 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

To me, it isn't a matter of kicking him when he is down, it's calling a spade a spade.

I deeply admire SJ in many ways and yet am appalled in others. I sincerely wish him all the best and hope he regains his health and lives long.

A spade a spade??!!

Did you really read your own post?

Do you actually know Steve and his family? Why would his daughter go to live with him if he was such an asshole? Why would his Wife stay with him for 20 years if he was a total jerk? Why would there be 30 year employees if it was such a hard place to work?

You don't know shit. Period.
  • Reply 120 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Like you'd actually know.

All the assholes come out to kick the man when he's down.

How classy.

Yeah, comments on articles like this tell you a lot about a person's character.

I hope he does well, and I hope people will respect his privacy, which everyone has a right to, regardless of circumstances.