Steve Jobs on a 'down cycle' recently, at Apple offices less frequently

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In the weeks leading up to Steve Jobs' announcement that he will take a medical leave of absence, he has reportedly come into the company's corporate campus less frequently and has appeared "increasingly emaciated."

Citing an anonymous source, The New York Times on Monday reported that Jobs, of late, would lunch in his office rather than where he typically would, in the company cafeteria. He also began a "down cycle" in recent weeks, and only came into the office about two days per week.

"Mr. Jobs suffers from immune system issues common with people who have received liver transplants and, as a result, his health suffers from frequent 'ups and downs,' according to a person with knowledge of the situation, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it," author Miguel Helft wrote.

Earlier Monday, Jobs announced in a letter to employees that he would take a medical leave of absence so he can focus on his health. He will remain CEO and will be involved in "major strategic decisions" for Apple.

Jobs declined to reveal exactly what his medical condition may be. He noted that he and his family would "deeply appreciate respect" for their privacy. The Apple co-founder has long said he believes his health is a private matter.

Jobs returned to work in June 2009 after a liver transplant. In subsequent interviews he was upbeat and said he felt healthy, but the report from the Times would indicate that the CEO has fallen on hard times in recent weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Regardless of the real story (and who wouldn't like to know the truth, really?) all the best to Steve and his family and the people at Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Citing the New York Times these days is an adventure in fantasy land more often than not.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by normang View Post

Citing the New York Times these days is an adventure in fantasy land more often than not.

Why is that? Had they offended Apple(ites) in some way recently?
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Reviewing last two health announcements.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/static/ma...bs.1-17-11.jpg
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Regardless of the real story (and who wouldn't like to know the truth, really?) all the best to Steve and his family and the people at Apple.

I absolutely concur. A big chunk of our savings are in Apple stock, but I care far less about that than that Steve be healthy and happy. Few people have ever so richly deserved that.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    At least he has surrounded himself with great people who can lead the company successfully.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

I absolutely concur. A big chunk of our savings are in Apple stock, but I care far less about that than that Steve be healthy and happy. Few people have ever so richly deserved that.

Agreed.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Just curious .. does anyone think that this comes into play regarding Steve's absence at the Verizon announcement last week? Or, was he really not expected to be there anyway? I had actually thought that he would have been there, possibly accompanying Tim Cook.

Just wonder what anyone thinks. This story, paired with his absence at the Verizon announcement at least appear to me to have a tangible relationship, now. \

Any thoughts?

-D.G.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

Interesting chart. Puts a little more perspective on Apple's recent climb. Still, I believe Jobs is Apple and there's no discounting his influence.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

Just curious .. does anyone think that this comes into play regarding Steve's absence at the Verizon announcement last week? Or, was he really not expected to be there anyway? I had actually thought that he would have been there, possibly accompanying Tim Cook.

Just wonder what anyone thinks. This story, paired with his absence at the Verizon announcement at least appear to me to have a tangible relationship, now. \

Any thoughts?

-D.G.

No. Neither CEO was present.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

Any thoughts?

-D.G.

I don't think most people that follow Apple expected Steve at that announcement. So no connection IMO.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting chart. Puts a little more perspective on Apple's recent climb. Still, I believe Jobs is Apple and there's no discounting his influence.

It's good to see the graph shows Steve's health and related announcements were of little effect to the AAPL stock value over a reasonable period of time. Steve would not want our faith in Apple to be shaken because of his health. I am certain they have excellent contingency plans and a years ahead of planning.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Let's all pray for Steve Jobs. He has served the world as a great innovator, visionary and marketer. He has always been a friend to all

Steve get well soon........We all miss U and wish U well
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mr. Jobs.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Where does AppleInsider draw the line on stories?

Please. Didn't Jobs make it perfectly clear - respect his privacy.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post

I think freedom of speech still applies, and as Rahm Emanuel once said, "...never let a serious crisis go to waste."
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

I absolutely concur. A big chunk of our savings are in Apple stock, but I care far less about that than that Steve be healthy and happy.

Seriously? How does your wife feel about that? That's just way overboard IMHO.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDIOWarrior View Post

I don't know what the story is that they published alongside this chart, but the chart itself shows absolutely nothing. There's no correlation at all between his health issues and the stock price and this chart seems to prove it.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't agree that AI was disrespecting his privacy. Now, if people start clammering for intimate knowledge of his personal affairs like the last time he took a leave of absence, or publish his medical records, then that would be disrespectful of his privacy.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't think most people that follow Apple expected Steve at that announcement. So no connection IMO.

I at first thought it was just a new service partner and not worthy of a SJ visit, but I think Verizon made a point of sending their #2 guy to ballance the stage. Interesting note since Verizon's #2 guy is expected to take over soon and for all we know, Tim is the guy for good should SJ not be able to return. All in all, very sad news for the day.