Evidence points toward potential Feb. 27 launch of Apple's white iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's long-delayed white version of the iPhone 4 could finally debut on Feb. 27, according to information leaked from the retail inventory system of retailer Best Buy.

The photo of the alleged internal information, obtained by MacRumors, shows both the 16GB and 32GB white iPhone 4 models with an in-stock date of Feb. 27. The lower-capacity model has the SKU number 1049236 and model number BBM42LD, while the 32GB model is referred to with SKU 1049245 and model number BBM43LD.

If the white iPhone 4 does launch on Feb. 27, it would be 8 months after the iPhone 4 first went on sale in the U.S. But it would also be sooner than the most recent release date provided by Apple, when it delayed the white iPhone 4 yet again in October.

After the last delay, Apple said the white iPhone 4 wouldn't arrive until Spring of 2011. That season doesn't officially start until March 20, 2011.

The Feb. 27 date in Best Buy's system could also be a temporary placeholder used internally by the company, but not based on any actual information from Apple. The date falls on a Sunday, which would be an uncharacteristic launch date for an Apple product.

Apple has publicly delayed the white iPhone 4 numerous times. In late July, the company issued its last update on the hardware, stating that it would go on sale in late 2010. It has even removed references to the white iPhone 4 from its website, where it was previously listed as "coming soon."

In July, Apple said that manufacturing of the white hardware proved "more challenging to manufacture" than the company had originally anticipated. That reveal came just a week after Chief Executive Steve Jobs publicly said the white iPhone 4 was on track to launch by the end of July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Who cares?! "Once you go black you'll never go back" anyways..
  • Reply 2 of 36
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Nice, I thought we would have to wait for iPhone 4D to get our hands on white iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    The white iPhone 4 is like a unicorn. Myths, stories, dreams, reported sightings, etc. but it doesn't exist!
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I must say that with only a short period between announcement and beginning sale date, I'm surprised Apple didn't identify earlier that complications would arise. All the handsets available for press at the event were white models. I want to know what the underlying reason is for the delay.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's long-delayed white version of the iPhone 4 could finally debut on Feb. 27, according to information leaked from the retail inventory system of retailer Best Buy....

I still really wish they made an iPhone without *any* paint on the back of the glass. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It would be so cool to be able to see inside and a more honest design in general.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Isn't this basically a Tim Cook fiasco?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Who cares?! "Once you go black you'll never go back" anyways..

Or Mac either for that matter.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I still really wish they made an iPhone without *any* paint on the back of the glass. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It would be so cool to be able to see inside and a more honest design in general.

What do you mean by "more honest design"? I'm not trying to be contrary...just curious about what you meant. I agree that it'd be cool to see the interior...though I suppose the view might just be the battery, and not quite as impressive as the gears of a watch.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

The white iPhone 4 is like a unicorn. Myths, stories, dreams, reported sightings, etc. but it doesn't exist!

So what immediately enters my mind is the Tom Cruise movie, "Legend," where instead of darkness descending over the land due to inappropriate contact with a unicorn, someone simply holds the white iphone "wrong."
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Isn't this comment basically an iLiver fiasco.

It's so much fun to be on his ignore list.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The last two people holding out will be delighted.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machine View Post

What do you mean by "more honest design"? I'm not trying to be contrary...just curious about what you meant. I agree that it'd be cool to see the interior...though I suppose the view might just be the battery, and not quite as impressive as the gears of a watch.

It's a design term. Some schools of design take the position that a material should always be used as what it is and that this is "more honest design."

So if you ascribe to this, then plastic should never be made to appear as wood, or metal (as in fake woodgrain or "pretend" metal bits etc.), and every material is just used plain, as it is. Paint is especially considered "fake" in that it's not required, it merely "dresses up" the design. The iPhone 4 is a great example of this way of thinking in that it uses primary materials like steel and glass and uses them in a very straightforward way.

I'm probably not explaining it very well but the idea is to use materials as what they are with the properties that they would naturally have as a result of that. So the black glass falls into this in that it's not really black glass, it's just regular glass with black paint on the back and the paint is technically not necessary for the phone to function, but is instead more of a decorative touch.

It's a minor quibble I know.

I'm just saying that I would buy one (and possibly 0.01% of the addressable market is with me).
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I suspect many more than that were holding out but will now merely wait 3 extra months for an iPhone5.

Lost opportunity.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Papermaster?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Besides I wouldn't call it a fiasco if QC caught the issue before release. Whatever that problem might have been. Anymore I'm not sure which rumor to believe about the delay.

In any event I'm surprised that they are even bothering. IPhone 5 isn't that far away. I say that sitting here with a white iPhone 3G too.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    What's with the Flash ads that are overlayed right onto the AI home page?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

What's with the Flash ads that are overlayed right onto the AI home page?

Sshhhh don't ask that- you might awaken him.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    The 27th is a no go. Mark my words, won't happen. The 26th perhaps but not the 27th. They would want to maximize sales potential with two weekend days.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Didn't we hear this before?

The 'White iPhone' is the Mac G5 IBM PowerPC "Within 12 months, we will be at 3GHz," Jobs said. "Believe me, this architecture has legs." of our day.

Believe it when we see it!

/

/

/
  • Reply 19 of 36
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I am one of those two. My 3GS is still going strong. I'm just going to wait for June/July.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

• Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Part of the problem has been due to light leakage (if we can believe previous stories). Clear tends to be even more difficult to use as a light barrier than white. I would tend to think a redesign would be required (maybe not major) which makes it much more than just leaving the paint off. Also the thickness of the paint is taken into account, or possibly not, in this case, when building this type of device so that creates another sticking issue. (Sorry for the puns, I couldn't help myself.)