Apple's Tim Cook dismisses Android iPad competitors as bizarre, vapor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 215
    forisforis Posts: 25member
    Android's rise has been fuelled by FUD, smoke and mirrors - eg stuffing Android store with garbage just to get the numbers up. It's worked, sorta, but it's not something to build a long term strategy on.

Yesterday's figures showing that even the best phone handset maker, HTC only makes 50% of its handsets upgradeable - with the 2nd, Samsung a lamentable 11%, and all the rest 0%, shows what a nightmare kludge the Android user experience is. That 70% figure for Android owners who would go Android again when they next buy another handset is going to look like nirvana in another 12 months time.

The tablet market will be even worse for Android - if Google has sold out to the carriers and manufacturers for handsets, who is going to look after Android tablet owners? Samsung Galaxy shows how hard it is for anyone to come near to Apple's enormous cost advantages with iPad - and iPad2 will only make that worse.

Apple's ecosystem is getting stronger and stronger, but Google's half-baked efforts still look beta and amateurish. The reality is there's no-one with the resources to give it the very real substance of Apple's still-growing world. Android's cracks are real, and getting bigger by the week, and Eric Schmidt's half-baked antics and dirty tricks can only fail in the medium and long term.
  • Reply 22 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

My company cannot use an ipad, pretty much ever. Can't support the apps, background processes needed and isn't rugged enough for my line of work.

Yup, uses a stylus. But I doubt Tim Cook tried this type of stylus input. The stylus input on this tablet of mine is very intuitive and works perfectly for windows tablet edition.

Well you're obviously not in the military, because they seem to feel their rugged enough for them. You know you can get cases for these things?
  • Reply 23 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeCallMe...Tim View Post

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck,

It is... ??? What are you getting at? If you don't like my bona fides, you can click on my name and look at other posts I've written over several years.
  • Reply 24 of 215
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Sure. But can your screen track the stylus without it even touching it? Can it tell when I am right clicking? Mine can.

Anyhow, to run our software it would need an sql database running in the background, a web server, which talks to our main database, while the tech talks to that database via a web browser. It's done this way so that when a call is dispatched it comes all loaded in locally, thereby allowing it to work if I lose WWLAN.

Maybe the iPad cannot do that the exactly same way but I am sure there are other ways to achieve the same results. You can develop iPad/iPhone apps in-house so you are not bound by the App Store rules.

The problem I've seen with many IT is that they are used to do things one way and don't want to change it.
  • Reply 25 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Offthewall View Post

Yes actually it's vapor if you can't buy it now. Three months from now (if that's really when these products become available) they will be competing with whatever Apple has out then (Apple's vaporware today - iPad 2).

You are redefining vaporware.

Apple announced the ipad back in Jan of 2010. It wasn't released until April. Was that vaporware too?
  • Reply 26 of 215
    Quote:

Really? Vaporware? They just announced their tablets like a week and a half ago. ... Three months from now if there is nothing, that's vaporware. Sheesh.

WTF?! I don't think you know what vapourware is.
  • Reply 27 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I thought Apple needed to look at a 7" form factor until I checked out an iPad in the flesh. It is the correct size in that it's not nearly as large as one might imagine. Smaller doesn't make sense just as 9" netbooks have proven to be lousy laptops.

The competition has been done in by one element of the iPad that doesn't get nearly enough ink. Apple is offering a $500 10-inch tablet while the competition can only approach that price by reducing their devices down to a 7" screen form factor.

The perceived value of iPad 2, which I suspect is weeks away from being released, will be even more of a challenge for the competition.

Bottom line is, making the iPad is a fine accomplishment but making the iPad a 10" device checking in at a starting price of $500, incredible. The competition is reeling and might never recover.

It may be years before the competition is ready for the task.

Apple just signed long-term supply contracts worth $3.9 billion. They're freezing out the competition, much as they did when they signed long-term NAND flash memory contracts several years ago. Apple's gross margins on the iPad will improve;

If they are prepaying any of this money, they are basically assisting R&D funding for their component partners which will pay off with first access to premium quality components. We may have already seen this with the iPhone 4's Retina Display. If we see an improved display in the iPad 2, we may be looking at a pattern of other manufacturers not having access to premium quality components and/or paying much more for them.
  • Reply 28 of 215
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Really? Vaporware? They just announced their tablets like a week and a half ago.

Three months from now if there is nothing, that's vaporware. Sheesh.

Daniel, this is a news site. Regurgitating old headlines every time Android is mentioned is again, kicking a dead horse.

There were something like 80 tablets announced at CES. I'd guess a fair number of them will prove to be vapor.
  • Reply 29 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Maybe the iPad cannot do that the exactly same way but I am sure there are other ways to achieve the same results. You can develop iPad/iPhone apps in-house so you are not bound by the App Store rules.

The problem I've seen with many IT is that they are used to do things one way and don't want to change it.

Well it also has to be a tested solution. My company spend 4 million dollars on that system.

Not to mention too I doubt the ipad can print to our printers, ever.

We also have our incoming call center use that same system to keep track of our customers info, make new work orders to order parts from various venders, etc.

In the future when tablet's (more like ARM) gets good enough, we'll see a shift. But the support and infrastructure isn't there yet, and Apple doesn't seem to get the enterprise.
  • Reply 30 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Tough talk. The message I get is that Cook might not be wearing the "interim" moniker for very long.

He channeled Jobs very well in the context of an earnings call.
  • Reply 31 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Well you're obviously not in the military, because they seem to feel their rugged enough for them. You know you can get cases for these things?

An ipad in our trucks would get destroyed within a summer. That tablet also has a supporting cradle for work vans which sports a base that charges it and offers usb ports and sound. It also locks the tablet if we want to. Does apple have such a solution?

Not to mention it gets over 110 in our trucks while we are working. We can't have computers do this when it gets hot.

• Reply 32 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Offthewall View Post

Yes actually it's vapor if you can't buy it now. Three months from now (if that's really when these products become available) they will be competing with whatever Apple has out then (Apple's vaporware today - iPad 2).

Small correction. Apple's vaporware of today had they announced an iPad 2 that wasn't shipping for three months.
  • Reply 33 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

WTF?! I don't think you know what vapourware is.

Look up the phantom gaming console. THAT'S vaporware.

Demoing tablets available in a few months? Calling it vaporware now is just being a douche.
  • Reply 34 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

There were something like 80 tablets announced at CES. I'd guess a fair number of them will prove to be vapor.

Oh sure. But I'm not going to issue a blanket statement on all of them either. That's just stupid.
  • Reply 35 of 215
    Quote:

Really? Vaporware? They just announced their tablets like a week and a half ago.

Three months from now if there is nothing, that's vaporware. Sheesh.

Daniel, this is a news site. Regurgitating old headlines every time Android is mentioned is again, kicking a dead horse.

It's all vapor until a product ships.
  • Reply 36 of 215
    Quote:

You are redefining vaporware.

Apple announced the ipad back in Jan of 2010. It wasn't released until April. Was that vaporware too?

One contrast is that Apple announced the iPad with a price and date.
  • Reply 37 of 215
    Quote:

An ipad in our trucks would get destroyed within a summer. That tablet also has a supporting cradle for work vans which sports a base that charges it and offers usb ports and sound. It also locks the tablet if we want to. Does apple have such a solution?

Not to mention it gets over 110 in our trucks while we are working. We can't have computers do this when it gets hot.

You'll shut down if you sit in a truck at 110 for extended periods of time.
  • Reply 38 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You'll shut down if you sit in a truck at 110 for extended periods of time.

Obviously I turn the truck on to run the a/c while I'm in it. I can't have it sit there idle for hours on end.
  • Reply 39 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

One contrast is that Apple announced the iPad with a price and date.

But since everyone else says it is based on whether it is available or not...
  • Reply 40 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

AppleInsider is the Fox News of Apple media

I have to agree with sprockets on this one. AppleInsider has good rumor reporting, but its analysis pieces are totally one-sided, pro-Apple, spin and propaganda. I guess this is good business sense, for a website that has an apple-fan reader base, but it's over the top.

For example, the dismissal of 7-inch tablets (which IMO have a niche among mobile users who want more than the smartphone experience) mirrors and amplifies Apple's FUD on the topic, and its articles on Android caricature the competition.

N.B. This coming from a confirmed member of the Apple faithful (Mac only since my PowerMac 6100, said a prayer for Steve the other day)

What's unusual is that the author you are criticizing is even more of an ultra-leftist than an Apple bigot.

Had you accused him of fronting Fox News on his blog -- more than likely he would have personally insulted and ridiculed you.

DED's articles often appear to be well researched, but he takes liberties with the facts he includes and those he ignores.

I am pro Apple for many reasons -- but I can't abide DED's stance that Apple is always right and that anything opposed is evil.

That said, if you can ignore the agenda, DED often delivers articles that are worth reading.