Apple's Tim Cook dismisses Android iPad competitors as bizarre, vapor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Well it also has to be a tested solution. My company spend 4 million dollars on that system.

Not to mention too I doubt the ipad can print to our printers, ever.

We also have our incoming call center use that same system to keep track of our customers info, make new work orders to order parts from various venders, etc.

In the future when tablet's (more like ARM) gets good enough, we'll see a shift. But the support and infrastructure isn't there yet, and Apple doesn't seem to get the enterprise.

Your companies products seems to have a limited market niche compared to the iPad. You certainly won't be selling those things for $500. I am sure it is a very good product, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Your sales will be in the 100's or 1000's, certainly not the 10,000,000's that the iPad will sell in.
  • Reply 42 of 215
    Quote:

Really? Vaporware? They just announced their tablets like a week and a half ago.

Three months from now if there is nothing, that's vaporware. Sheesh.

Daniel, this is a news site. Regurgitating old headlines every time Android is mentioned is again, kicking a dead horse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Small correction. Apple's vaporware of today had they announced an iPad 2 that wasn't shipping for three months.

Apple would never pre-announce like that. What I was trying to say is that anything NOT shipping today will more than likely have to compete with a v2 Apple product.
  • Reply 43 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Ones that are afraid of losing their jobs. Keep buying junk that needs lots of tech support. It's called self preservation. Microsoft has relied on this strategy for years.

don't kid yourself. except for virus crap, apple products are just as demanding in an enterprise environment. in some ways worse: itunes. that the ipad has to be tied to a machine with itunes is a huge pain. why can't it all be over the air? that would make them a breeze to distribute and support.
  • Reply 44 of 215
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Hmmmm, Google, Microsoft, and Motorola ring a bell? Pretty much any company whose interest isn't aligned with Apple's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

So if 88 of 100 Fortune 100 companies are supporting the iPhone, and 80 the iPad, who are the IT fascists holding up deployment at the other companies?

• Reply 45 of 215
    Quote:

Apple announced the ipad back in Jan of 2010. It wasn't released until April. Was that vaporware too?

To be fair Apple let journalist use the software after the keynote.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

Motorola let people view a video of Honeycomb running on the Xoom.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/m...irst-hands-on/
  • Reply 46 of 215
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The firm concluded, "the practical effect of this decision is that the Galaxy Tab is effectively an 'over-sized phone' for the purposes of web content. For example, an iPad-style side-navigation section just won?t fit on the screen. We think it?s probably best to treat it as a phone with big pixels rather than a true tablet."

Ha! Further proof the 7" form factor is all about everyone else's inability to compete with Apple on price and thus using lower quality and cheaper 7" displays.

Apple tax indeed! How about the "going cheap because we can't compete" tax?
  • Reply 47 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Your companies products seems to have a limited market niche compared to the iPad. You certainly won't be selling those things for $500. I am sure it is a very good product, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Your sales will be in the 100's or 1000's, certainly not the 10,000,000's that the iPad will sell in.

True. But will apple allow a 3rd party to make a rugged ipad for us that will withstand abuse, heat, etc? History says never, unless Jobs retires.

Keep in mind though, while I was at a customer's house, an appliance repair man was using the same tablet and printer. White collar workers may be fine with an ipad, but there are plenty of us who wouldn't mind such a device either.
  • Reply 48 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I thought Apple needed to look at a 7" form factor until I checked out an iPad in the flesh. It is the correct size in that it's not nearly as large as one might imagine. Smaller doesn't make sense just as 9" netbooks have proven to be lousy laptops.

Bravo for you for not falling for the "7 inch tablet screen size is a feature" sales job. The whole 7 inch "form factor" is purely driven by price and an inability to compete with Apple in the 10" space. And if the iPad 2 rumors are true, the gap will widen even further!
  • Reply 49 of 215
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

I have to agree with sprockets on this one. AppleInsider has good rumor reporting, but its analysis pieces are totally one-sided, pro-Apple, spin and propaganda. I guess this is good business sense, for a website that has an apple-fan reader base, but it's over the top.

For example, the dismissal of 7-inch tablets (which IMO have a niche among mobile users who want more than the smartphone experience) mirrors and amplifies Apple's FUD on the topic, and its articles on Android caricature the competition.

N.B. This coming from a confirmed member of the Apple faithful (Mac only since my PowerMac 6100, said a prayer for Steve the other day)

Agree if you wish but his posts seem to indicate a troll .. hence I suggested he go chat with his like minded enthusiasts.
  • Reply 50 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What's unusual is that the author you are criticizing is even more of an ultra-leftist than an Apple bigot.

Had you accused him of fronting Fox News on his blog -- more than likely he would have personally insulted and ridiculed you.

DED's articles often appear to be well researched, but he takes liberties with the facts he includes and those he ignores.

I am pro Apple for many reasons -- but I can't abide DED's stance that Apple is always right and that anything opposed is evil.

That said, if you can ignore the agenda, DED often delivers articles that are worth reding.

Maybe he was making the comparison about how fox news operates as opposed to their political leanings? DED is quite Fox News in his apple reporting.

DED does have some good articles, but seriously, bringing up the whole Samsung Galaxy Tab browser CSS screen issue is really, really desperate.
  • Reply 51 of 215
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

True. But will apple allow a 3rd party to make a rugged ipad for us that will withstand abuse, heat, etc? History says never, unless Jobs retires.

Keep in mind though, while I was at a customer's house, an appliance repair man was using the same tablet and printer. White collar workers may be fine with an ipad, but there are plenty of us who wouldn't mind such a device either.

Is there any particular reason you're hammering away at the idea that there's a niche that requires a Windows tablet in a thread on the iPad?

We know that Windows tablets have found some use in certain specialized markets. It's absolutely true. We concede the point.

So what? The design choices that made these tablets useful as ruggedized server clients running specialized software has made them consumer failures. Hell, it's made them business failures, for the most part, except for the sort of thing you're up to, whatever that may be.

Again, so what? It's entirely beside the point.
  • Reply 52 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

Interestingly enough, I do not think that Cook took on the Blackberry Playbook. I think that despite its 7" screen, the Playbook represents a serious challenge to Cupertino's domination. Well, not so much a challenge to their domination as a challenge to their unbelievable marketshare.

Why? Just because it comes from RIM? Is this more of the "No one got fired for buying IBM?"

1) It's not shipping

2) RIM market share is sinking

3) The Playbook has no compatibility with existing BB apps - new OS

4) At least initially, if you don't have a BlackBerry for your phone no mail, contacts and other core features

5) The new OS is untested

6) They won't even talk about battery life

7) It hasn't shipped and RIM has no success at delivering a complete ecosystem such as Apple's

8) There is no evidence that 7" will be a viable form factor for tablet oriented tasks like on the iPad

What's really ironic is many of the same people who pilloried the iPad as an over glorified iPod Touch and instead pimping 7" tablets really are pimping over-glorified cell phones. Heck, there is a quote of that in this story that I already quoted.

RIM may have some success with the PlayBook, but it's highly unlikely. So far it looks to be a marginal increase over the iPad - if it managed to ship today. But the iPad 2 looks like it will easily eclipse it. That's the problem that vendors have had starting with the iPod - Apple is relentless in their development cycle, often cannibalizing, obsoleting and replacing their own products before their competitors even have a chance.

But their biggest problem is #1 on my list... until then it's just an unfulfilled possibility.
  • Reply 53 of 215
    Quote:

What's unusual is that the author you are criticizing is even more of an ultra-leftist than an Apple bigot.

Hey!!! If there's an ultraleftist around here it's me!

Quote:

Had you accused him of fronting Fox News on his blog -- more than likely he would have personally insulted and ridiculed you.

DED's articles often appear to be well researched, but he takes liberties with the facts he includes and those he ignores.

I am pro Apple for many reasons -- but I can't abide DED's stance that Apple is always right and that anything opposed is evil.

That said, if you can ignore the agenda, DED often delivers articles that are worth reding.

Ok, Daniel Eran Dillinger is the Keith Olbermann of Mac media.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agree if you wish but his posts seem to indicate a troll .. hence I suggested he go chat with his like minded enthusiasts.

Did notice a bit of trollishness in Sprockkets' posts, almost made me regret backing him up...

Quote:

Maybe he was making the comparison about how fox news operates as opposed to their political leanings? DED is quite Fox News in his apple reporting.

DED does have some good articles, but seriously, bringing up the whole Samsung Galaxy Tab browser CSS screen issue is really, really desperate.

...but then again even semi-trolls make good points sometimes!

Cheers y'all
  • Reply 54 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I am interesting in knowing what type of apps and background process the iPad can't handle?!

It doesn't matter if they are real or otherwise - they will surely exist

Man, I thought the Linux zealots were bad, but the anti-Apple bunch takes the cake! In a recent internal meeting about some upcoming hardware contracts, we actually had one of the team members get up and walk outside when the iPad and some other Apple related topics came up

They better get over it or find a new line of work - Apple is in corporate IT to stay. If anything, use of Apple technology, even if it's "just" the iOS is growing exponentially. Even I'm astonished at how well received the iPhone and iPad is.
  • Reply 55 of 215
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

But since everyone else says it is based on whether it is available or not...

At least Apple provided real hands-on with the iPad when they announced it. Not so much the case for all the announced iPad competitors.

Look, I am not saying that there will be no competition to the iPad, but what we have is largely hyperbole from the competition. So, how does Cook (or Jobs) respond? With more hyperbole. It's called marketing.
  • Reply 56 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Offthewall View Post

Apple would never pre-announce like that. What I was trying to say is that anything NOT shipping today will more than likely have to compete with a v2 Apple product.

Of course not - that's why they don't have vaporware.

Actually, I can think of 2 vaporware "products" from Apple: the mythical white iPhone and resolution independence.
  • Reply 57 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Bravo for you for not falling for the "7 inch tablet screen size is a feature" sales job. The whole 7 inch "form factor" is purely driven by price and an inability to compete with Apple in the 10" space. And if the iPad 2 rumors are true, the gap will widen even further!

Exactly. Its astounding how this obvious explanation appears to be ignored by the non-apple pundits.
  • Reply 58 of 215
    Quote:

For example, the dismissal of 7-inch tablets (which IMO have a niche among mobile users who want more than the smartphone experience) mirrors and amplifies Apple's FUD on the topic, and its articles on Android caricature the competition.

There is absolutely no evidence that people want nor desire 7" tablets.

7" tablets are being pushed by manufacturers that can't compete with Apple on price for full sized 10" tablets, so suddenly they are trying to create a market segment to fit their shortcomings, not address real end user needs or requirements. It's the same 'ol schtick.

From the third party's mouth:

Quote:

The firm concluded, "the practical effect of this decision is that the Galaxy Tab is effectively an 'over-sized phone' for the purposes of web content. For example, an iPad-style side-navigation section just won?t fit on the screen. We think it?s probably best to treat it as a phone with big pixels rather than a true tablet."

Notice the bolded word. Not popular with techies, but paramount for normal people who view devices such as these as tools and not things to be experimented with or experiments to tolerate shortcomings on, or platforms to be an apologist for since they push ones socio-political agenda
  • Reply 59 of 215
    Quote:

Ok, Daniel Eran Dillinger is the Keith Olbermann of Mac media.

Hah. From Dilger to Dillinger - it is conjuring up some funny images. DED articles should have a picture of Daniel outfitted with a tommy gun.
  • Reply 60 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The problem I've seen with many IT is that they are used to do things one way and don't want to change it.

Bingo. And the app he described sounds like a nightmare - a local SQL and Web server?!?!

Seriously? Which internal group or contractor if contracted out is running amok building an empire with that architecture?