Apple's Tim Cook dismisses Android iPad competitors as bizarre, vapor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 215
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

There is absolutely no evidence that people want nor desire 7" tablets.

I still see the possibility of a 6 to 8 inch "iPad". I use quotes because it will almost definitely be something very different from the iPad. Possibly an enterprise play from Apple.
  • Reply 62 of 215
    Quote:

7" tablets are being pushed by manufacturers that can't compete with Apple on price for full sized 10" tablets, so suddenly they are trying to create a market segment to fit their shortcomings, not address real end user needs or requirements. It's the same 'ol schtick.

I dunno. I tried out the iPad and the Galaxy Tab at my local Future Shop (not really in the market for either).

The iPad seemed very nice, slick, usable, but a bit heavy for one handed use and too big to really carry casually with you.

The GT on the other hand seemed to have a nicer format to me. It also seemed unpolished and jerky, and the web browser crashed twice in the short amount of time I spent fiddling with it.
  • Reply 63 of 215
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I still see the possibility of a 6 to 8 inch "iPad". I use quotes because it will almost definitely be something very different from the iPad. Possibly an enterprise play from Apple.

Why would they need to change the screen size to make an "enterprise play"? I don't understand this fascination with mid-screen sized "tablets" other than the fuss made by manufacturers forced into the form factor because of their inability to compete toe to toe with Apple with same-sized devices.
  • Reply 64 of 215
    Quote:

Hah. From Dilger to Dillinger - it is conjuring up some funny images. DED articles should have a picture of Daniel outfitted with a tommy gun.

"Shoots first, asks questions later."
  • Reply 65 of 215
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:

At least Apple provided real hands-on with the iPad when they announced it. Not so much the case for all the announced iPad competitors.

Look, I am not saying that there will be no competition to the iPad, but what we have is largely hyperbole from the competition. So, how does Cook (or Jobs) respond? With more hyperbole. It's called marketing.

Well said!

In other news, journo on Apple-flavored tech site promotes Apple against Android.

Sprockkets has 11 ad hominem posts out of 57 covering 2hours... doesn't that seem a tad obsessive?
  • Reply 66 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I do hope this is bravado, and that internally Apple is taking their competition extremely seriously.

We really don't need to relive the 1980's and early 1990's.

I listened to the earnings call. Tim Cook offered well considered, factual statements -- not bravado.

He avoided taking positions on incompletely-announced or unavailable products -- but indicated that Apple is very much paying attention to, and conscious of the competition.

Apple is doing everything to exploit their advantages: prepaying for parts/production facilities; economies of scale, first to market lead, infrastructure/ecosystem, etc.

A very sober presentation of the facts, IMO.
  • Reply 67 of 215
    Quote:

7" tablets are being pushed by manufacturers that can't compete with Apple on price for full sized 10" tablets, so suddenly they are trying to create a market segment to fit their shortcomings, not address real end user needs or requirements. It's the same 'ol schtick.

I agree with you that other manufacturers are pushing 7" tablets because of price, but saying that there is no evidence of people wanting 7" tablets is taking that too far. Plenty of people have stated that they would like a smaller tablet, something that will fit in the oversized pocket of a coat/jacket.
  • Reply 68 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

The iPad seemed very nice, slick, usable, but a bit heavy for one handed use and too big to really carry casually with you.

Compared to a full laptop, or even a netbook the iPad is a featherweight. It's definitely easier to handle than both of those.

And 7" tablets won't fit into a pocket so you are still going to have to carry it.

Quote:

The GT on the other hand seemed to have a nicer format to me. It also seemed unpolished and jerky, and the web browser crashed twice in the short amount of time I spent fiddling with it.

So, you really didn't get a chance to evaluate the difference in screen size on the controls and usability between the two. And that's the killer. Superficial suppositions about how something fits in your hand or is easy to be carried around aren't really what will matter in the long term. The long term enjoyment of the device will be governed by how well it actually works - and all reviews of the 7" tablets repeat similar themes compared to this:

Quote:

The firm concluded, "the practical effect of this decision is that the Galaxy Tab is effectively an 'over-sized phone' for the purposes of web content. For example, an iPad-style side-navigation section just won?t fit on the screen. We think it?s probably best to treat it as a phone with big pixels rather than a true tablet."

That doesn't sound very compelling - and if anyone has used an iPhone and iPad for any amount of time, the iPad is most definitely not a "blown up iPod Touch". In many ways it is, but in many crucial ways it isn't and those can be summed up in the quote above.

Like netbooks, 7" tablets may have some initial success, but they won't have any long term staying power. You can only fool so many people for so long. And that window is probably getting narrower with each new success from Apple.
  • Reply 69 of 215
    Quote:

Why would they need to change the screen size to make an "enterprise play"? I don't understand this fascination with mid-screen sized "tablets" other than the fuss made by manufacturers forced into the form factor because of their inability to compete toe to toe with Apple with same-sized devices.

I think there could be a number of industries where a smaller form-factor might be beneficial:
    1. medical settings: hospitals, clinincs, doctor's offfices;

2. on-site service: cable companies, appliance repair;

3. courier services

I am sure there are more but those came to mind quickly. None of those would require a 10" tablet and carrying something smaller might prove to be an advantage.
  • Reply 70 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I listened to the earnings call. Tim Cook offered well considered, factual statements -- not bravado.

He avoided taking positions on incompletely-announced or unavailable products -- but indicated that Apple is very much paying attention to, and conscious of the competition.

Apple is doing everything to exploit their advantages: prepaying for parts/production facilities; economies of scale, first to market lead, infrastructure/ecosystem, etc.

A very sober presentation of the facts, IMO.

Amen, brother.

Cook performed admirably - showing confidence and a command of the landscape as it exist today. And the announcements (3 new prepaid component deals) speak for themselves.
  • Reply 71 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ispeakinsong View Post

I agree with you that other manufacturers are pushing 7" tablets because of price, but saying that there is no evidence of people wanting 7" tablets is taking that too far. Plenty of people have stated that they would like a smaller tablet, something that will fit in the oversized pocket of a coat/jacket.

How many people wear oversized coat/jackets? Again this sounds like a form factor hunting for a reason to exist.

People may think they want a smaller tablet. Lots of people thought they wanted a netbook - until they actually had to use one for significant length of time. I can't tell you how many times I would hear people extol the cheapness of netbooks, and then gush about all the ways they augmented their netbooks with upgrades. Often when they got done, they spent more on a netbook than they did on a real notebook and ended up permanently hobbled and eventually dissatisfied.

I have no doubt the same thing will happen with 7" tablets. There will be a bell curve with probably some significant initial sales - the die hard apologists will insist it's the best thing ever even if they are inwardly gritting their teeth - but that's hardly enough to build a viable business strategy on.
  • Reply 72 of 215
    Quote:

I think there could be a number of industries where a smaller form-factor might be beneficial:

Sure, but now we are in a very small, specialized segment where Sprockets lives.

Sure, they will exist, but edge cases aren't what we are talking about here. At least they aren't what's interesting to me. I find the 80% more interesting.

And as for your examples, an iPod Touch could be just as effective for specialized situations like you are proposing.

There is nothing inherently advantageous for a 7" tablet other than it being a format Apple doesn't have so manufacturers don't have to worry about competing head to head with Apple.
  • Reply 73 of 215
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    So Cook is the new Apple attack dog-in chief? This does not forebode well for the future if this is the new Apple playbook. Bash others rather than tell us what's forthcoming and that's interesting? Keep flexing Timmy but remember the Karma chameleon will bite your ass if you don't watch out.
  • Reply 74 of 215
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Is there any particular reason you're hammering away at the idea that there's a niche that requires a Windows tablet in a thread on the iPad?

We know that Windows tablets have found some use in certain specialized markets. It's absolutely true. We concede the point.

So what? The design choices that made these tablets useful as ruggedized server clients running specialized software has made them consumer failures. Hell, it's made them business failures, for the most part, except for the sort of thing you're up to, whatever that may be.

Again, so what? It's entirely beside the point.

Exactly. Completely correct addabox, I'd say he was trolling but for some reason he has over 500 posts
  • Reply 75 of 215
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You'll shut down if you sit in a truck at 110 for extended periods of time.

Apparently that happened but his motherboard would seem to be beyond repair, lol
  • Reply 76 of 215
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:

1. medical settings: hospitals, clinincs, doctor's offfices;

2. on-site service: cable companies, appliance repair;

3. courier services

I am sure there are more but those came to mind quickly. None of those would require a 10" tablet and carrying something smaller might prove to be an advantage.

Um... these statements from Apple further prove that 7" tablets (6-8", whatever) are not in their future. It isn't gonna happen, ain't never gonna happen, its toast. Kaput. You might think there's a reason for them to exist, but Apple doesn't. This is clear, and about as final as things get.

Anyone who expects Apple to build a 7" tablet may as well be expecting Apple to put Flash on the iPhone.
  • Reply 77 of 215
    Quote:

Sure, but now we are in a very small, specialized segment where Sprockets lives.

Sure, they will exist, but edge cases aren't what we are talking about here. At least they aren't what's interesting to me. I find the 80% more interesting.

And as for your examples, an iPod Touch could be just as effective for specialized situations like you are proposing.

There is nothing inherently advantageous for a 7" tablet other than it being a format Apple doesn't have so manufacturers don't have to worry about competing head to head with Apple.

I am not sure it's an edge case when you get outside the consumer market. There are a lot of the types of venues in the medical field alone.

One difference is that, were Apple to do a smaller form-factor, they would provide a proper interface for this size, not some down-sized current iPad.

You are most probably right about Apple not doing a smaller format, but I am willing to believe they might despite the their obvious current attitude towards these type devices.
  • Reply 78 of 215
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Um... these statements from Apple further prove that 7" tablets (6-8", whatever) are not in their future. It isn't gonna happen, ain't never gonna happen, its toast. Kaput. You might think there's a reason for them to exist, but Apple doesn't. This is clear, and about as final as things get.

Anyone who expects Apple to build a 7" tablet may as well be expecting Apple to put Flash on the iPhone.

Well did you ever expect Apple to make a 9.7" iPod Touch?
  • Reply 79 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

You mean like they said they would never build a video iPod:

Quote:

Mr. Jobs addressed the issue of video on iPods when asked by Mike Wendland of the Detroit Free Press whether or not Apple was looking to add features to the iPod. "We want it to make toast," replied Mr. Jobs. "We're toying with refrigeration, too." While intended to get a laugh, which it did, Mr. Jobs also offered a more substantive answer as to why Apple had heretofore not added too many features to the iPod. "One of the things we say around Apple, and I paraphrase Bill Clinton from the 1992 presidential race, is 'It's about the music, stupid.'" Mr. Jobs says that there is a big difference between the way people listen to music and other activities like watching videos. Specifically, he said, you can listen to music in the background, while movies require that you actually watch them. "You can't watch a video and drive a car," he said. "We're focused on music."

• Reply 80 of 215
    Quote:

I am not sure it's an edge case when you get outside the consumer market. There are a lot of the types of venues in the medical field alone.

But again, why can't the iPod Touch do them today?