Apple's Tim Cook dismisses Android iPad competitors as bizarre, vapor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

You are redefining vaporware.

Apple announced the ipad back in Jan of 2010. It wasn't released until April. Was that vaporware too?

It was announced, with full [meaningful] specs, pricing and availabllity. It was demoed. It existed! It was tangible -- vapor is not!

They delivered on all that they announced!
  • Reply 82 of 215
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's "bizarre" is another firm's "odd"

Web developer Sencha made similar observations in its review of the Galaxy Tab as a potential web development target.

While the tablet fits physically between the size of a smartphone and the iPad, the company noted, "One of the oddest aspects of the Galaxy Tab browser is its CSS pixel to device pixel ratio.

"When queried in landscape mode, the Galaxy reports a screen.width of 683px and screen.height of 334px. Since the actual device resolution offers 1024×600, it?s giving us a 1.5× ratio of device to CSS pixels. This is a little bit of an odd choice since there shouldn?t be any reason why it can?t offer a 1:1 device-to-CSS-pixel ratio (or even just match the iPhone/Nexus One convention of a 320 pixel device.width ? which would give it a 1.875 ratio). This makes the Galaxy slightly bigger than a regular phone screen in CSS pixels, but not really big enough to handle what people want to put in a tablet screen."

The firm concluded, "the practical effect of this decision is that the Galaxy Tab is effectively an 'over-sized phone' for the purposes of web content. For example, an iPad-style side-navigation section just won?t fit on the screen. We think it?s probably best to treat it as a phone with big pixels rather than a true tablet."

Where art thou DaHarder?
  • Reply 83 of 215
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

But again, why can't the iPod Touch do them today?

I didn't say it couldn't anymore than I denied they could use the current size iPad. I just happen to think there may be a sizable market for such a device. Perhaps I am deluded myself much as those who want an xMac do.

Personally, I would never consider buying a smaller device (well, I don;t think so but then I've not seen it). I like the current iPad.
  • Reply 84 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Well said!

In other news, journo on Apple-flavored tech site promotes Apple against Android.

Sprockkets has 11 ad hominem posts out of 57 covering 2hours... doesn't that seem a tad obsessive?

Not unless you ask for it. Unlike you I back up my reasons for "attacking" if you want to call it that.
  • Reply 85 of 215
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Perhaps I am deluded myself much as those who want an xMac do.

touché

Quote:

Personally, I would never consider buying a smaller device (well, I don;t think so but then I've not seen it). I like the current iPad.

Bogus analogies to the video iPod aside, those waiting for something between the iPod Touch and iPad are in for a long wait...
  • Reply 86 of 215
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Obviously I turn the truck on to run the a/c while I'm in it. I can't have it sit there idle for hours on end.

If you have the truck on with the a/c running, then the iPad won't be at 110 degrees - so your earlier post is pure FUD.

Thanks for proving that you're making all your stuff up.
  • Reply 87 of 215
    I'm always surprised by the arrogance of Apple.. for Android enthusiasts it really helps fuel the belief that avoiding Apple products in favor of Android is the "right" thing to do. Obviously a silly concept... but the idea that Android tablets are irrelevant and/or vapor is equally silly. I use an Android Tablet because I find the experience more engaging and interesting than the iOS experience. I also prefer the 7 inch form factor of my Galaxy Tab... There is NO competitor to the iPad at the 10inch form factor right now... (which I believe is preferred by the average user)... so in that sense he's right about the existing competition. But in the next 3-4 months that will change. The iPad 2 will be needed to keep up with the Android offerings.

iPad 2 could conceivably destroy the Android tablets if the display resolution is as rumored... but according to cook... thats TRULY vaporware at this point.
  • Reply 88 of 215
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

You mean like they said they would never build a video iPod:

That's right! Because that's an incorrect comparison.

In the case of adding video to ipod, it wasn't that Apple was making a clear statement of intent with products. They were simply saying "we don't have time for that feature right now and we wouldn't tell you if we did".

In the case of the 7" tablet, they have stated many times and in many different ways this is a dumb product, that its a bad idea and it won't sell. Period. End of discussion.

Now if you think they're trying to obfuscate their actual intentions, that's just insanity.
  • Reply 89 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It was announced, with full [meaningful] specs, pricing and availabllity. It was demoed. It existed! It was tangible -- vapor is not!

They delivered on all that they announced!

You guys all seem to miss the simple point. If you call something vaporware that was just announced you are predicting it will never come out. Whether or not that item is actually vaporware requires passing of time to verify your claim; unless you possess time travel, you are just shooting in the dark/talking crap.

DED claimed Natal was vaporware, even though it was demoed in front of a live audience way before he said that. It came out. His prediction was dead wrong.

So don't look stupid and call something vaporware then later be called out on it and look like a fool for talking crap about your competitors.

Personally if there is any tablet that is showing up late and can by any stretch of the word be called vaporware it would be the RIM playbook.
  • Reply 90 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by androidmax View Post

I'm always surprised by the arrogance of Apple.. for Android enthusiasts it really helps fuel the belief that avoiding Apple products in favor of Android is the "right" thing to do. Obviously a silly concept... but the idea that Android tablets are irrelevant and/or vapor is equally silly. I use an Android Tablet because I find the experience more engaging and interesting than the iOS experience. I also prefer the 7 inch form factor of my Galaxy Tab... There is NO competitor to the iPad at the 10inch form factor right now... (which I believe is preferred by the average user)... so in that sense he's right about the existing competition. But in the next 3-4 months that will change. The iPad 2 will be needed to keep up with the Android offerings.

iPad 2 could conceivably destroy the Android tablets if the display resolution is as rumored... but according to cook... thats TRULY vaporware at this point.

You know what, I'll grant you that arrogance is not something Apple ought to be engaging in, publicly or otherwise. I didn't listen to the call, but Tim reads on the arrogant side here.

Many of us can remember an earlier, also arrogant Apple that belittled it's competition and didn't count them as important to pay attention to. I personally don't even like the hint that they're making that mistake again. In fact I don't think they are making that mistake, at least I hope they aren't.

So everyone's concern trolling aside (mine included), I just hope as someone else posted earlier that what we heard was bravado and they do take the competition seriously.
  • Reply 91 of 215
    Quote:

I'm always surprised by the arrogance of Apple..

Huh?

Quote:

The iPad 2 will be needed to keep up with the Android offerings.

Whew. Just whew....

Quote:

At least until they release it.

And by the way, it won't just be the display resolution that will destroy Android tablets (then again, how can you destroy something that's not a threat in the first place? Oh well, topic for another thread).

It will be the whole ecosystem and user experience combined. Something that no other manufacturer can even come close to.

How many more blockbuster quarters will Apple have to have before they actually get credit for the merits of their platform?
  • Reply 92 of 215
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

That's not vaporware at all - it's speculation by third parties. Apple has said absolutely nothing about the iPad 2.
  • Reply 93 of 215
    Quote:

How many people wear oversized coat/jackets? Again this sounds like a form factor hunting for a reason to exist.

People may think they want a smaller tablet. Lots of people thought they wanted a netbook - until they actually had to use one for significant length of time. I can't tell you how many times I would hear people extol the cheapness of netbooks, and then gush about all the ways they augmented their netbooks with upgrades. Often when they got done, they spent more on a netbook than they did on a real notebook and ended up permanently hobbled and eventually dissatisfied.

I have no doubt the same thing will happen with 7" tablets. There will be a bell curve with probably some significant initial sales - the die hard apologists will insist it's the best thing ever even if they are inwardly gritting their teeth - but that's hardly enough to build a viable business strategy on.

You don't know for a fact that people would regret buying a 7" tablet, so you can't say there is "absolutely no evidence that people want nor desire 7" tablets." Personally, I agree with you and with Apple that 9.7" is probably best for most users. However, that doesn't negate the possibility that there are people out there who think the iPod Touch is too small, the iPad too big, and would prefer something in between. Is there a big population of such people? Maybe yes, maybe no. Do I think Apple will care to appeal to that subset? Probably not. But I don't deny their existence.
  • Reply 94 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

You know what, I'll grant you that arrogance is not something Apple ought to be engaging in, publicly or otherwise. I didn't listen to the call, but Tim reads on the arrogant side here.

And Microsoft, Google, etc. have never made strongly worded statements that could be construed as "arrogant"?

How droll. Of all the irrational reasons to not buy a product this is the most tiresome of all of them.
  • Reply 95 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If you have the truck on with the a/c running, then the iPad won't be at 110 degrees - so your earlier post is pure FUD.

Thanks for proving that you're making all your stuff up.

OMG, are you that stupid?

I arrive at a job. I turn the truck off. It's fucking florida and it gets 98 degrees every day in the summer. And if you went to school you would know that's the temperature in the shade.

So now my truck is in the sun as I can't be in the shade all the time. I spend sometimes 8 hours at a job. I'm not allowed to let a truck idle with the a/c on for 8 hours. Not only is that a waste of gas and money, it is bad for any vehicle to idle. If I don't put the tablet in standby it will turn off due to thermal overload around 3 hours due to the processing involved with our FSA.

You people complain about ad hominem with me? STFU.
  • Reply 96 of 215
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Really? Vaporware? They just announced their tablets like a week and a half ago.

Three months from now if there is nothing, that's vaporware. Sheesh.

Interesting philosposy. That a non-shipping product with unknown features, price point, or with avaialbe OS are somehow real products when announced but become vaporware later.
  • Reply 97 of 215
    Quote:

How many more blockbuster quarters will Apple have to have before they actually get credit for the merits of their platform?

That's something Apple's detractors will never grasp. Apple is one of the most successful technology companies to date. They arguably deliver more goodies for the masses than any other company will ever do. Despite all the positives and the success, it will always be because of fanboys, or marketing or because somehow millions of people must be wrong. It certainly couldn't be that the tiny, crazy minority of nerds and gadget lunatics who have no concept of anything practical are themselves clueless.

But seriously the answer is 20. 20 blockbuster quarters and then, only then, will Apple get these idiots to see the light.
  • Reply 98 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ispeakinsong View Post

However, that doesn't negate the possibility that there are people out there who think the iPod Touch is too small, the iPad too big, and would prefer something in between.

There probably are. Enough to make it a significant enough device worthy of the investment to produce? Hardly likely.

I guess we will see, won't we? Personally, I don't think I am going out on much of a limb predicting netbook 2.0
  • Reply 99 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rec View Post

but seriously the answer is 20. 20 blockbuster quarters and then, only then, will apple get these idiots to see the light.

• Reply 100 of 215
    Quote:

And Microsoft, Google, etc. have never made strongly worded statements that could be construed as "arrogant"?

How droll. Of all the irrational reasons to not buy a product this is the most tiresome of all of them.

It's corporate policy, of any company, to never talk bad about your competitors, ever. It never makes you look good. Customers see that and lose faith in your integrity to do a good job.